Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hot Mulligan Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tshreve, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tshreve

Metalicca

Twinkly emo-pop/pop punk band on No Sleep Records, definitely one of my favorite current bands that I haven't seen much discussion about on here.

2. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I just found these guys on Spotify random list while listening to Microwave. They're a really high quality sounding band that deserves some attention. Surprised there's no discussion. What do you guys know about them? I listen to song after song and they just rock if you're into their sound. Worth it to check out for sure.

RIYL The Wonder Years, The Front Bottoms, Tigers Jaw

tshreve likes this.
  3. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

Their full length is probably my most anticipated album of this year, Opportunities was my favorite EP of 2016 and I've been really stoked to watch their rise.

tshreve likes this.
  4. tshreve

Metalicca

It seems like they’ve been around for quite a while now - their old stuff was more straight-up pop punk but their newer material is more emo-influenced and has better lyrics imo. They’re about to go on a full US with Knuckle Puck and Free Throw as well

5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yea Im def gonna check out the full length this year

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

JBoch and tshreve like this.
  7. Saephon

Regular

Opportunities was one of the best discoveries for me last year, so this LP is right up there with my most anticipated of 2018 (alongside Tiny Moving Parts). 11 more Hot Mulligan songs, yahoo!

8. tshreve

Metalicca

this is gonna be AOTY

9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just saying.....The new album is very good.

10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

March 23rd. It dripped though.

teebs41 likes this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

May wait but that’s cool that you like it. Did they mature lyrically at all?

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Ehhhhhh, I would say no haha. Very standard pop punk lyrics. Just straight forward stuff. The music is super fun though. Tone-wise vocals remind me of Soupy in earlier The Wonder Years stuff. I like that.

teebs41 likes this.
  14. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i listened to it just because the second song was called "all you wanted by michelle branch." tbh it was pretty good!

15. danielalee12

Regular

i've been listening to this nonstop for the last couple of days. Some crazy cool riffs and awesome melodies

16. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

This album is pretty good. Listening now.

17. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I’m a fan of the record. Need more time with it to really pick it apart though.

18. This band reminds me so much of Forever The Sickest Kids, jury's out on whether that's a good thing or not

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Anthony_

Wow, that's a comparison I'm kind of surprised to see made. I don't see that at all. What about them reminds you of FTSK?

20. The vocals. Hahaha. Obviously it's not nearly as neon/synth-poppy but that vocal delivery is straight out of Underdog Alma Matter. I've been trying to place it for weeks and suddenly it popped into my head this morning.

21. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Planning on checking this out at some point. Is there an album thread?

22. Anthony_

Wow yeah I don't hear that at all myself haha. The vocals aren't nearly as cleaned up and processed as FTSK's stuff was. And I'm usually the guy that makes out-of-left-field vocal comparisons between bands, too lol

23. Tbh more bands should sound like Forever The Sickest Kids because they had hits

24. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

They both have an emo tinge in their voice that's where any comparison stops, FTSK are cheesy pop. Enjoyable, but please the world doesn't need more of that.

I wouldn't call Hot Mulligan original but there's a personality in the singers voice and lyrics that I really connect with. Just seems so personal.