Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hostiles (Scott Cooper, December 22, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Sep 5, 2017.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Sep 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Looks really good.

3. I'm into it. Enjoying the resurgence of Westerns in recent years.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

C5672D17-7879-45AD-B16A-4318F224E0A5.jpeg

5. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

This was absolutely incredible how are people not talking about this in this forum

fenway89 likes this.
  6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

It hasn't really gone "wide" yet. Give it another week.

fenway89 and Kennedy like this.
  7. Kennedy

Best movie I’ve seen in maybe the past 2 years. Can’t think of anything else that hit me emotionally like this did.

8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

So glad to hear that, hope I get some time to see it this weekend.

9. kupe Jan 27, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 27, 2018)
    kupe

Regular

Just saw this with Movie Pass. Pretty good movie

10. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Prestigious

Deeply touched by this film. Bale was phenomenal, maybe only outshined by Rosamund Pike.

fenway89 and Kennedy like this.
  11. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Great movie, Bale killed it.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i didn't like it. my wife fell asleep.

13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

that said, bale was really good. wish ben foster had a bigger role

14. Kennedy

I can’t imagine not liking this

fenway89 likes this.
  15. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Really good. I’m a sucker for Westerns

16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Mediocre. What a waste of Wes Studi. And rarely have I seen antagonists so shoehorned into a movie.

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  17. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

How was this a waste of Wes Studi?? He was great in this as he always is! Also Rosemund Pike was insanely good. She stole the movie. And it was probably Bales best performance. Really beautiful film

Kennedy and a nice person like this.
  18. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was glad to see that some complex issues between Natives/whites were explored.

fenway89 likes this.
  19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Couple of issues but really enjoyed this for the most part. I was a big fan of Tommy.

20. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Didn't like this in any way. Found the film uncomfortably racist and overacted. Really wanted to like this too.

Course I was sitting near an old man who would mutter racial slurs and cheer every time a native character got shot. So that didn't help the racism in the film go unnoticed

bedwettingcosmo likes this.
  21. Kennedy

Wait I’m sorry i don’t get what you’re saying. You think this film is promoting racism?

fenway89 likes this.
  22. jjnunn118

It's not promoting racism, several of the characters out right denounce their past and try and become better people.

But I do think they are far too comfortable with the racial slurs, especially for a film where they kill basically all the native characters

23. Kennedy

I can kind of see what you’re saying... but I mean, name a movie that revolves around the evils of racisms that doesn’t have racial slurs in it? I’m not saying I enjoy hearing those words. I do think hearing evil people in the film using those words is a difficult pill to swallow. But also reminds me how foul of words they are and how no human should be treated as less than human.

In regards to the First Nations dying at the end of the film. At first I was super off out by it but then I thought of it like this. By the end of the movie you’ve seen Bale make a complete 180. You’ve seen a friendship grow between these two groups that have hated for so long. It’s a film of change. To me all the death at the end is so the characters that had a change of heart could display how deep of change they made. To show how drastic the growth from hate to love was. Also it was like a reminder “damn, terrible racists people still exist”, but these people that made change won’t stand for it. And we need to be those people today, that won’t stand for it. I guess this film really hit me emotionally, as an illustration that everyone should be treated as human / people of colors cultures needs to be preserved and respected and celebrated / hate can turn to love if you try to communicate with people different then you. Just seems weird to write off that film as racist, when it works so hard to fight against it

Ferrari333SP and Connor like this.
  24. jjnunn118

I might have been distracted by the slurs, because I didn't feel any of those same emotions.

But I also felt like it was a poorly written film. Felt like 3 movies smashed together and the antagonists literally show up out of nowhere to be a nuisance.

Glad other people are finding good things in the film though!

Kennedy likes this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it wanted to have its cake and eat it too with the racism I think, the first image we see is a gang covered in face paint making only woop sounds, but then it's like actually some of them are nice model minority and such and we shouldn't have taken their land

jjnunn118 likes this.