Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Horror: Short Story and Novels Edition

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by as_we_learn, Jul 27, 2016.

1. as_we_learn

Tomorrow's Just Too Late Prestigious

Hey guys! I know you guys discuss this a bit at in the Book thread, but I wanted something a little more specific.

For me, I'd love to share some good Horror Short Stories because I don't think I've really read anything horror outside of King (I know, I'm a novice!) and Ketchum (if you consider him horror).

Let's talk shop of this genre in the literary format!

wakaflockajamez likes this.
  2. wakaflockajamez

die die die, cry cry cry

Sounds fun!

*following*

3. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Just read Slade House by David Mitchell and it was really cool

as_we_learn likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I'd love to read some short stories if you guys have any recs.

One day I'll finish IT. One. Day.

wakaflockajamez likes this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. as_we_learn

It's kind of like a haunted house story, but with a more interesting concept right?

And I wish the description had more of a... description about the book and more of an inkling about what the actual unsettling part is. But people on there are giving it great reviews!

Vivatoto likes this.
  7. chris

Trusted Supporter

I don't read a lot of horror, but A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul G. Tremblay was really good.

He actually just came out with a new one as well I need to pick up

Vivatoto likes this.
  8. Night Channels

Trusted

All of Joe Hill's stuff is fantastic.

Vivatoto likes this.
  9. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

A Good & Happy Child by Justin Evans is dope as hell.

Joel likes this.
  10. chris

Trusted Supporter

Re: Joe Hill, all of Locke and Key was great

11. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

This sounds really cool, added to my list

12. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I read nothing but horror for a few years straight when i got out of college...I'll post some of my favorites later. A good horror novel is my favorite thing in the entire world.

13. eight30

Regular

I don't read a lot of horror but I read Bird Box and I thought it was great.

14. Liz

Ew, David

15. as_we_learn

I have Horns and NOS4A2 and I really need to dig into those. Although, the Horns movie kind of turned me off a bit in terms of the main character's characterization. I'm sure it's better in the book.

16. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Recently read Heart-Shaped Box and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to checking out more of Joe Hill's stuff.

17. Vivatoto

Yeah, love that book. This is a really fun interview if you get a chance

18. Vivatoto

Absolutely adored that book. Similar to maybe King's Needful Things or Straub's Floating Dragon, large cast of small town characters where things just absolutely turn to hell. And yes, they are not exaggerating when they talk about it being disturbing, honestly you name it and it's in there. I've read a lot of the so called "Extreme Horror" genre which focuses on the most horrific things you could possibly think of and this made me sick to my stomach a lot (in a way that I absolutely love). It's much better written than most entries in that genre though.

19. chris

Trusted Supporter

re Horns: maybe it's just me but I kinda wished the entire story was set as them when they were kids, just longer and with all the fantastical elements. That was my favorite portion of the book haha, I liked it overall though

20. eight30

Regular

Oh nice! I'll have a listen after work, thanks!

21. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

+1 for A Head Full of Ghosts - definitely put Tremblay on my radar and I really loved a lot of the subtle uncertainties the book left unaddressed at the end.

Have been personally working my way through older King material that I somehow hadn't read. Started with Carrie, which was a really fast read and really put the movie to shame, now slowly reading Salem's Lot and enjoying it (especially as a vampire nerd).

Vivatoto likes this.
  22. idlehands

Gerald's Game by Stephen King was a really cool psychological horror.

Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door was also very good but brutal and gory. If you like gore then highly recommend that one.

Vivatoto and as_we_learn like this.
  23. as_we_learn

Needful Thungs is my favorite King book (although the ending is absolutely ridiculous, but the characterization of those characters are some of his best), so I'll have to check it out!

Vivatoto likes this.
  24. Vivatoto

2 of my favorites. Girl Next Door is so heartbreaking.

idlehands likes this.
  25. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

just finished The Familiar V3. while not horror yet, I believe it will be