Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Horizon: Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games; 2017) Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Cameron, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

[​IMG]

Horizon Zero Dawn is an action role-playing video game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4. The game will be released worldwide in 2017.

The plot revolves around Aloy, a hunter and archer living in a world overrun by robots. Having been cloistered her whole life, she sets out to discover the dangers that kept her sheltered. The character makes use of ranged, melee weapons and stealth tactics to combat the mechanised creatures, whose remains can also be looted for resources. A skill tree facilitates gameplay improvements. The game features an open world environment for Aloy to explore, divided into tribes that hold side quests to undertake while the main story guides her throughout the whole world.

Development began in 2011. Mathijs de Jonge, the game's director, considered it "the most risky" idea of those that were pitched. The concept explores the contrast between the beauty and danger of the game's setting. Guerrilla Games emphasises trial and error as the basis for playing the game, choosing not to implement a tutorial. The game engine, Decima, was previously engineered for Killzone Shadow Fall and altered for Horizon Zero Dawn, the first intellectual property (IP) developed by Guerrilla Games since Killzone in 2004, and also the studio's first attempt at developing a role-playing game.

Source: Horizon Zero Dawn - Wikipedia

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  2. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Just changed the title & prefix of the thread so it's better organized.

Dirty Sanchez and Cameron like this.
  3. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

way too pumped for this game. Reading this textbook for school right now is almost impossible

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

lol I'm drunk im saaaarrrrryyyy lightning

lightning13 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  5. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The story follows Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe. As an individual, Aloy is inquisitive, compassionate and brave. Strong and resourceful, she was raised by Rost, another outcast. She has a fascination with technology and embraces it, much to the dismay of Rost. Spurred by certain events in the game, Aloy sets out to discover her origins and the secrets of the past.

[​IMG]

Horizon: Zero Dawn is an open world action RPG. You play as Aloy, an outcast of the Nora tribe, as she ventures forth to discover the mysteries of the world, as well as pursue her own agendas. On her journey, Aloy encounters a vast ecosystem of mechanical wildlife, wondrous robots each fulfilling a niche in an endless process, their goal a secret to everyone. These machines are both an obstacle and a resource to Aloy. Each machine is a source of materials for improving and sustaining Aloy's armor and arsenal. Whether it be collecting wire to create cables for her traps or tracking down rare parts to create new weapons, each machine is important if Aloy wants to survive the wilderness.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Beyond hunting machines, there is plenty to do in Horizon to keep players entertained. Whilst boasting a meaty main quest line, the game also features a wide variety of side content. Tribe quests help Aloy learn more about the tribes that populate the world, hunter trials help the player learn new ways to fight and to test out new strategies, corruption zones and bandit camps offer challenges for the player to clear the zones of enemies, and finally there are the cauldrons, a unique dungeon style environment where the player must put their skills to the test to recieve powerful rewards.

Throughout the course of the game, Aloy gains levels which allow you to customize her appearance, her skills, stats, weapon effectiveness, damage modifiers, etc. Looting fallen enemies and tracking down resources in the environment yield components for further crafting.

[​IMG]

Aloy is no slouch when it comes to fighting. An agile archer, she has deadly aim and the athleticism to easily weave throughout the battlefield. She comes armed with a wide variety of ranged weapons, traps, and her trusty spear. Throughout her adventure, you'll
    increase her toolkit by crafting new weapons from the machine parts you collect. Aloy's main weapon of choice is her bow. The game offers a wide variety of bows, each coming with it's own forms of ammo. Ammo differs by damage type, all of which are tailored
    for fighting different machines. Fire arrows and Ice arrows apply elemental damage, whilst Tear based weaponry is designed for ripping off machine components such as weaponry and armour plating. Many more elements exist in the game waiting for you to experiment
    with. Aloy also has access to other ranged weapons to supplement her bow.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The Ropecaster is a tool that allows Aloy to pin down machines and leash them to a spot, whilst the Tripcaster allows her to set tripwire traps to get the drop on unaware machines. She also has access to many more weapons, each with their own specific niche.

Whilst Aloy shines at ranged combat, even the most prepared huntress runs out of ammo eventually. For those moments, Aloy comes ready with her trusty spear. With a combination of light and heavy attacks Aloy is able to dispatch smaller enemies without
    needing to waste resources, as well as stealthily striking unaware machines, and critically striking machines that she's managed to temporarily disabled.

[​IMG]

Q. How long is the game?
    A.
    Most estimate playtimes range from around 30 to 60 hours. The critical story path has been in about 25-30 hours on average.

Q. Is this open world?
    A. Yes. This game is completely open world. The player is not limited or gated from exploring the world fully in its entirety. Some areas may be require you to be a higher level to stand a chance at survival.

Q. Is this a fully-fledged RPG?
    A.
    Yes. Horizon: Zero Dawn is an action RPG where you play the role of Aloy. During the course of the game, you level up your character, invest points and upgrades into various skills, craft weapons, armors and
    other items, and engage in conversations with NPCs that may have an affect on other events in the game.

Q. How much harddrive space do I need?
    A.
    The game's total install size at the moment is around 42GB.

Q. Multiplayer?
    A.
    Nope.

REVIEWS

Source: Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Cameron likes this.
  6. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Edited the OP as well with some basic info. Hahaha. No problem.

7. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

8. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Drunk on a Monday? :poop:

9. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

SpyKi likes this.
  10. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

So excited.

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

GrantCloud and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

the first couple hours i played were fun, looking forward to playing more later or tomorrow

13. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Game Informer were kind enough to answer my questions on stream, so some extra info I got:
    - Different outfits come with different stats (and you can change the stats), so you're not upgrading armor (shoulders, chest, pants, etc like other RPGs).
    - There isn't really a "cover" system per se, but you can hide in bushes, and there's an "eye" icon (think elder scrolls) so you know if you're seen or not. There are also stealth kills. If you really don't like stealth, you'll be annoyed with the game.

Dirty Sanchez and Cameron like this.
  14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Yeah, stealth seems to be pretty important - learning to track enemy paths and a stealth section are some of the first things you do in the game

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Love stealth in games like this(Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Uncharted, RotTR etc.). Even though the systems in place aren't as robust as Splinter Cell or MGS I feel rewarded for doing stealthy play throughs.

16. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Was cautiously optimistic about this game but the excellent reviews have me hyped now

17. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Your main weapon is a bow so it doesn't surprise me that stealth is important. I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow, everything I've watched so far seems like it's my type of game.

18. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I fell in love with the game a few years ago at E3. It's hard to believe the game is finally being released today. The PS I love You XoXo podcast about the game last week really sold me on it even more. It's worth a listen you want to hear more about it from people with 40 hours into the game. My copy should be arriving around 2 or 3.

RobbieBerns likes this.
  19. devenstonow

Noobie

It's always crazy when a game finally comes out and you can remember seeing the very first announcement of it (*coughfinalfantasy15cough*)

Can't wait to play this when I get home from work.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

I was about to say...the only time I've seen this much effort put into a thread is on neogaf lol

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Statue is a nice size!

22. devenstonow

Noobie

uggggh less than an hour left of work and im stupid so i have to go quick grocery shopping so probably 2.5 hours until I can play =(

23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

:crylaugh:

24. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Played a few hours more, started to have the map expand and more of the open world activities started opening up. It might not really do anything unique in its open world structure (a lot of Witcher 3-esque follow this trail to the next clue and then kill the thing!) but the core gameplay is very satisfying and the focus on bow combat mixed with setting traps and status effects make it feel very unique. The story is progressing at a nice pace, it has balanced giving some small answers while opening new questions well. The lore is becoming more fascinating the more I see - talking with other characters and seeing what else is out there, listening to stories of the history, I really just want to know more. Just itching to play more.

dadbolt likes this.
  25. flask

Trusted Supporter

The story is awesome so far. Perfect mash up of fantasy and sci-fi for me.

billyboatman likes this.