Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Horace and Pete TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Morrissey Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

That was what the whole post was about. However, it is not as simple as throwing hands up and saying nothing can be changed. There was a much more intellectually diverse time for art not that long ago. We are at a very low level, and there are a variety of factors, but one of the main reasons is that there is a prevailing theory that what one person consumes does not affect what another person consumes. When you call people out on consuming trash, suddenly that is the person with the problem. When shows like Hannibal are canceled and movies like Midnight Special are not playing within 150 miles of a medium-sized city, the fault is not on the studios or the industry but on the people going to see those products made by committee and without soul. Going back to your voting analogy, if someone is of adult age and is only watching Batman and 2 Broke Girls, they need to be confronted, the same way you would if someone was a Donald Trump supporter.

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Not that you shouldn't express your opinion/disdain to a Trump supporter, but at the end of the day, shouldn't one have the right to support Trump if they so choose?

Not saying you shouldn't speak about this, just that calling someone out for choosing the superhero movie over this isn't the way to go about it. Maybe you should just encourage others to check out this show and support Louie and other small projects like this one, rather than complain that people are watching Star Wars.

3. Morrissey

Trusted

No one is suggesting taking away any rights. Why bring it up?

Cinephiles have been encouraging people to try out interesting cinema and television for years, whether it is online or in the real world. People that care about these things are always happy to hear that someone went out of their comfort zone to try something new and enjoyed it. You have been around far too long to act like you have not watched multiple posters on the old forum try to share good art and people just shrugged. Wherever you go on the Internet, people with an extensive knowledge of film share unknown work, forgotten directors, and any other variety of things that are interesting to discuss and introduce content to a new audience. The problem is the willful ignorance, the people who refuse to try anything new. The opposite end of that is deeply criticizing and pointing out the failures of the things that are terrible.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not disagreeing with you, just think you are coming across as elitist and acting like just because someone watches/enjoys (what you would consider) drivel, means they can't also watch/enjoy something with more substance.

I get wanting people to appreciate "higher art" but there is something out there for everyone. I'm a little disappointed too that the "smarter" stuff isn't what's popular, but that's just a reflection of the people watching.

5. Morrissey Apr 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 13, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

I have put quite a few years into studying cinema, but I am not elite yet. There is too much I have not seen.

6. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Well, you're the closest thing this site has to offer, and I do appreciate reading your thoughts.

7. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

So glad Louis is finally opening up a bit more about the show. Here's a killer talk he had with Maron on WTF about it.

8. KissTheBottle likes this.
  9. Thanks, listening now. Ya, I remember even in the Stern interview he talked about how the show would return on investment later this year or that he'd make it back from touring or something.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

That podcast was great

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, thanks for posting that. I don't listen to WTF often, so I would've probably missed it otherwise.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  12. Morrissey Apr 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Making it back from touring is a very different response than saying he will make a profit long-term. A part of its continued sales has to be attributed to the headlines he generated, and he alludes to it in the interview.

On another note, Bill Simmons is someone who is worth listening to in nearly every opportunity. One of the rare ones who shows complete preparation.

13. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Loving all the press he's doing now. It really was cool to be kept in the dark week after week as it all developed.

14. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Did I just have a stroke, or was the WTF podcast posted here previously and now it's Bill Simmons?

15. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Hmm.. I posted the WTF ep, and then @Jason Tate posted the Simmons one a few hours later. Both great listens. He's been doing a metric shit ton of extended interviews now that the show completed.

Also, I'd recommend that anyone who hasn't watched the show all the way though try to avoid the interviews until they've checked it out. He's not been super careful about avoiding spoilers.

16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I just missed it, I guess. I see both posted now. Thanks.

kpatrickwood likes this.
  17. Finally finished this. Wow. Edie Falco deserves some kind of recognition for that last episode. Probably the most stand-out show of 2016.

18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Just listened to the Bill Simmons podcast. Was really good. WTF up next.

19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

It took me a long time to watch this because it was so unpleasant. It was really, really fucking great, but so much of it was so sad and the characters were so mean I just didn't look forward to watching it so it'd slide down my priorities. Absolutely worth it though. I initially thought Pete killing Horace was too easy or over the top or big, given the more human, grounded feeling from the rest of the show, but the more I thought about it the more I liked how it informed the entire series, and especially with Horace's son showing up at the very end, it emphasized the idea of life being fleeting, it being hard to connect with people, how we're all searching for that connection all the time but often refusing to confront each other to form it until it's too late.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

As much as I enjoyed this show while watching it, after listening to the Bill Simmons and WTF podcasts, I have a whole new appreciation for it.

I would suggest watching this blindly if you haven't seen it yet, but do listen to the podcasts after.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Have this on my computer ready to go

22. The WTF podcast is great. It's revealing and personal. I wanted to cry a couple times throughout it.

23. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Agreed. If you haven't heard the original interview that Maron did with Louis, you should check it out too. It's from 2010, I think, and Slate named it the #1 podcast episode of all time.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

25. For reasons unknown to me, he performed 2 shows in my little hometown last week and I got to see him on Fri. So cool. His set is pretty great. I was definitely losing my breath during a few bits.