Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Horace and Pete TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Matt Chylak, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Figured there should be a thread for this on here. One of the most affecting shows around right now.

Just finished episode 6... man, that was brutal.

2. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Yes! So excited for the new episode tomorrow. I've loved all of this so much.

3. jorbjorb

7 rings

I'll have to watch this on the weekend. I love how he releases stuff lol.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

This show is damn good. Looking forward to a new episode tomorrow as well. Hoping he keeps this going for a while.

5. clockwise

Ugh, everyone please watch today's episode so we can talk about it.

6. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Just finished. All I can say at the moment is that it's going to take a while to process this series. Suffice to say though that this series knocked me on my ass in every possible way.

clockwise likes this.
  7. Morrissey

Trusted

Between this and Bojack Horseman, we are seeing some truly incredible deconstruction of the delineation of comedy and drama. The last season of Louie suggested that he might have peaked creatively, but the run of episodes since the elder Pete's suicide has been stunning in its exploration of Catholic guilt.

clockwise likes this.
  8. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Haven't watched the tenth yet, is there reason to believe it is the last of the season?

9. Morrissey

Trusted

It is likely the end of the entire show.

10. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Holy shit. I see what you mean. Woke up early to watch it before work today, still trying to process everything

11. Morrissey

Trusted

The ending is something remarkable. The symbolism is intense; the knife that Pete picks up is the knife that symbolizes the bar changing for the first time in years (cutting the fruit for mixed drinks). When Horace finally decides to take control of his life, possibly selling the bar or going with Jerri Blank to Chicago, fate intervenes. Every episode in the show had something worth watching, but it seemed to add up to little. Now that we can see it in its entirety, it is a long wait until Louis C.K.'s next project.

jpmalone4 likes this.
  12. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Really fantastic show. Everyone should watch this. Everything about this show from the plot itself to the way Louis produced and distributed it is just amazing.

13. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

There's a great review of the final episode over at avclub, as well as some interesting analysis and much deserved praise in the comments. From what I could find, they were the only site running reviews. I'm interested to see if and when this show generates more buzz/press now that it seems to have run its course.

14. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I can't imagine that this show doesn't pick up steam with time.

15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Jesus that last episode destroyed me, especially the first half and witnessing the actors play the previous generation. This really is a special series; don't think it could have been done so effectively if distributed or made any other way.

16. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I think in the long run, Louis will wind up doing fine with this. It's not something he produced to make a bunch of money, but I feel like in time, people will talk about this and he will recoup enough. He did it this way because he had some interesting things he wanted to do that networks probably wouldn't have let do the way he wanted. I also feel like the fact that the audience knew next to nothing about this as it was being released, made it feel much more organic and allowed the show to be watched without any prior context or preconceived notion. Hopefully this model will open doors for other artists to produce/distribute things similarly.

edit: Also, everyone should buy this anyway, because it 's fucking great. Even if you can't afford/don't want to pay for all 10 episodes, pay for a few and torrent the rest.

17. clockwise

To be honest, I'm really still processing all of this. I'm also excited to rewatch the show at some point. Can't wait to see what Louis does next.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

It is a good thing so many people went to see Jurassic Park 7 and Star Wars 9 and Batman 11 and then rushed home to catch the newest episode of the Big Bang Theory instead of supporting a daring and challenging show from one of the country's best talents.

So many people like to pretend this stuff does not matter, and that somehow every audience can have what they want in this utopia of content, but everyone watching something else had less or no time to watch this. There are consequences in what you choose to support. Why would Louis C.K. ever try anything like this again? He is already well-known for taking significantly less money to produce Louie the way he wanted instead of taking easy sitcom money. At what point does he start doing America's Got Talent and Adam Sandler movies instead of jeopardizing the future of his family? How many of the same people who ignored Horace and Pete or torrented it will complain about how he has declined?

19. clockwise

Terrific post and I couldn't agree more. I know creatively he was satisfied and very happy with how he did this, but I hope the lack of financial support from his audience doesn't dissuade him from taking a risk like this again.

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, I don't disagree with you, but people would just rather watch superheros than Horace and Pete. All we can do is vote with our dollars. If people choose to pay for mass produced cash grabs rather than quality insightful art, then that's up to them. I would (like you're doing) encourage others to check out this show and support projects like this so they will continue to be made, but to just complain that people are going to see Star Wars rather than supporting (what you call, and I agree is) "a daring and challenging show from one of the country's best talents", it's like getting mad when the candidate you want doesn't get elected.

As far as your last sentence goes... well you're absolutely right about that.
    "How many of the same people who ignored Horace and Pete or torrented it will complain about how he has declined?"

21. Morrissey

Trusted

If you don't get mad when the candidate you like loses, why are you voting? That was the entire point.

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Not that you shouldn't be mad, but what can you do? It's the system in place. Democracy. Supply and Demand. I'm not saying you shouldn't be at all upset, but it is what it is. Just because people choose to go see Star Wars, doesn't mean they can't also choose to pay to watch Horace and Pete. They're not mutually exclusive. More people just choose to watch Star Wars. Probably also has a little to do with the marketing aspect. Considering Louie is only advertising to people who already follow him, or relying on word of mouth, versus the millions and millions of dollars spent advertising for Star Wars, what does he expect. Even if every person paid for all 10 episodes, he'd only be making $30 a head. He's gonna have to get a LOT of people to buy it in order to recoup a few million dollars.

23. Morrissey Apr 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 12, 2016)
    Morrissey

Trusted

We all know how capitalism works. That was the point. If I complained about how an independent Japanese barbecue restaurant went out of business and you pointed out that the United States is capitalist and a few people who ate at McDonald's also ate at the Japanese barbecue restaurant, you are missing the larger issue.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

What am I missing? Seems like you're upset because people chose to see blockbusters over this. Any larger issue is just you wishing things were different. I can see how this path leads to less variety and more of the same over produced garbage, but apparently the general consensus is that we want more of the over produced garbage since that's what people are consuming.