Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hopeless Records Founder Picks the Label’s Ten Best Releases

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Louis Posen, the founder of Hopeless Records, sat down with Noisey to rank the label’s albums:

Actually, the label’s bestselling record is the one before that, the Avenged Sevenfold record, which is almost platinum now in the US. It’s gold in many countries. And the next two after that are other All Time Low Records—Nothing Personal and So Wrong, It’s Right are both gold in the US. So Wrong, It’s Right has “Dear Maria” and that’s our bestselling song and is platinum in the US. The reason I picked Future Hearts is that it’s our only record to debut at number one in the US and UK.

2. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Damn. He mentions Neck Deep is their biggest active artist. Very interesting.

3. Neck Deep is their biggest active band? fucking yikes

Joe4th likes this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

These Noisey things are always interesting.

marceting likes this.
  5. artbynickferran

nickferran.com

I'd say it's more "most important" than "best" releases, but a super interesting read nonetheless.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  6. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

Neck Deep is incredibly popular though?

Pepetito likes this.
  7. btr

Trusted Supporter

ND being their biggest band at the moment shouldn’t be a surprise lol. Look at their roster, hard to find anyone as popular as they are currently.

Pepetito likes this.
  8. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Exactly. Every song from the album he references has between 3.6 and 21 million Spotify streams, and the previous album has even more. Not that Spotify streams is a great KPI, but they're being listened to on a whole other scale from most in their music world.

theasteriskera likes this.
  9. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

Nice shout out to Lookout Records. Against All Authority needs more love though.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  10. rushlinburg

Sum 41 and Tacking Back Sunday are on Hopeless though. I thought they were much bigger than Neck Deep. I suppose this is just a testament to me not really following the scene anymore.

11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

From the label who brought you Sylar!

theasteriskera likes this.
  12. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I think it's a pretty good reference. The Wonder Years, The Story So Far, State Champs, Real Friends new albums didn't get anywhere close to the most recent Neck Deep album on Billboard or Spotify streams. The week The Peace & The Panic debuted it was #4 in the Billboard 200, behind Brand New, Kodak Black, & Kendrick Lamar. And above Kesha, Ed Sheeran, Khalid, DJ Kahled, etc

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  13. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

I wish Neck Deep wasn't so big. They're really not that good of a band at all. Bargain bin, cookie-cutter generic pop punk that should have been left behind a decade ago.

14. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

They're huge. A ton of girls at my college are borderline cult-is about them.

15. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Pop punk for people who have never heard pop punk

16. DesolateEarth

Birb

I think the yikes was more about their very questionable past with allegations.

17. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I didn't take that into consideration, thanks for the reminder

18. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Wild that looking through their roster, they only appear to have 2 bands with any women in them.

19. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

They have more bands with members who have been accused of sexual assault than bands with women in them. Interestingggggggggg.

20. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

That all time low album fucking sucks

SFguitar likes this.
  21. KyleK

I don't say this to defend them, but rather to highlight the scale of the issue, but I think you'd likely find that true of a lot of labels.

22. ELIARSISY

I'd say it's more "most important" than "best" releases, but a super interesting read nonetheless.

23. KyleK

Oh I completely agree, I never read the article thinking otherwise. I only meant to quantify the scale of popularity of Neck Deep - and given their popularity, and the significance to Hopeless, I understand why he included them on the list.

24. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Weird.