Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hopeless Announce ‘Songs That Saved My Life Vol. 2’

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Hopeless Records has announced the second volume of Songs That Saved My Life. Today they’ve shared a video of State Champs covering “Real World” by Matchbox Twenty. The full track listing can be found below.

Track Listing

1. State Champs — “Real World” (Matchbox Twenty)
    2. Silverstein — “Disarm” (The Smashing Pumpkins)
    3. With Confidence — “Drops of Jupiter” (Train)
    4. This Wild Life — “Wicked Game” (Chris Isaak”
    5. Doll Skin — “Shake It Out” (Florence + the Machine)
    6. The Frights — “Tiny Cities Made of Ashes” (Modest Mouse)
    7. Mayday Parade — “New Years Project” (Further Seems Forever)
    8. The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus — “Trust” (Thrice)
    9. Sharptooth — “Die For the Government” (Anti-Flag)
    10. Trash Boat – “Given Up” (Linkin Park)

2. surgerone

Regular Supporter

I loved a couple covers off the first volume (especially Stand Atlantic, holy shit). The State Champs cover is meh but I can’t wait to hear Sharptooth covering AF

slickdtc likes this.
  3. tobytobes

Regular

I feel like there was a couple jams on the first one and a couple of flops.

Hopefully this one is just as good if not better!

4. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

I love when bands cover bands within / adjacent to this big scene. Sharptooth doing Anti Flag, TRJA doing Thrice, Mayday doing FSF. It’s something the Punk Goes... series does not do and it’s sorely lacking.

One of my favorite cover albums is Wolves At The Gate “Back to School”, where they cover Reciving End of Sirens, Thrice, and Thursday and it’s so damn good.

I like the SC cover as a lead single. MB20 were damn good.

Can’t wait to hear the rest.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  5. I can-NOT wait to hear RJA covering Thrice. What the what.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  6. Yeah, that Wolves EP is great.

slickdtc likes this.
  7. I love "Real World," like, a LOT. Yourself or Someone Like You was a transformative release and remains a favorite record of mine. This cover is comparatively lifeless. I like State Champs, but this is a miss for me.

The track-list is otherwise pretty interesting. The last one had some great covers. Looking forward to this.

LCT Music and dustman like this.
  8. defmytones

Regular

Geez that was quick for Vol. 2. Didn’t the first one just come out earlier this year..?

9. surgerone

Regular Supporter

Nah, it came out early 2018

10. WasteSomeTime

Regular

It actually was November 2018

11. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I also love the original (though I think you love it more). I enjoyed this version, but I agree they played it just a little too safe. And I know it's State Champs, but it still comes across as a bit too polished. Still, I enjoy it for what it is. Hope it gets the kids to look up the original.

Jacob Tender likes this.
  12. tomtom94

Trusted

I honestly assumed Trash Boat were on volume 1 because that cover has been out for ages (it's sick)

13. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Further Seems Forever - hell yeah, bitches.

14. thewoj

Hey, remember Absolutepunk?

I don't think this tracklist is as strong as the first volume (which I really enjoyed), but I'm interested to see a handful of these.
    The State Champs cover is a little too close to the original for my tastes, but I really commend them for sticking to the theme of the original video because I really like the original video.

15. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

I did not come in here expecting to see strong love for MB20 and YOSLY. I love that album so much and it shaped a lot of what I remember about growing up and what I listened to after. I always bring it up when talking about nostalgic albums and how it was one of the first releases I loved start to finish. I can take or leave these songs (I am glad people are enjoying this) but wow you are my people for sure.

slickdtc and Jacob Tender like this.
  16. Hello new friend!

It's easy to write off MB20 because they became to incredibly massive so fast, but I think folks are starting to come around to just how great bands like this really were. Jason Pettigrew at AP has affectionately given me grief for my love of MB20/Rob for years.

estebanwaseaten likes this.
  17. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

To be completely honest, I did not follow their arc after YOSLY. I don't even think I gave Mad Season a full listen but I remember enjoying Bent when it came on the radio. I really don't know much about Rob Thomas as a person either. I agree that they blew up very quickly and then he did Smooth with Santana which really propelled his name too maybe? Either way, that debut album has always stuck with me and I can throw it on at any time and enjoy it fully without skipping a track. I remember listening to it on a portable sony cd player until the damn thing gave out.

18. currytheword

Trusted

Did not even know TRJA was still a band, nor would I ever expect to see them on a comp album like this.

19. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Train saved someone's life?

currytheword and estebanwaseaten like this.
  20. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

A friend of mine recently worked a christian music festival in Wisconsin and he said they played it. Came as a huge surprise to me to just hear that they were still a thing.

21. currytheword

Trusted

Somebody didn't make it to the milky way.

slickdtc and domotime2 like this.
  22. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

They’ve had multiple number 1 hits on the Christian rock charts the last few years. It’s kinda wild

23. estebanwaseaten

Trusted

Wow I had no idea haha

24. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

For as often as he wears it, I'm not fully convinced Derek doesn't have a giant fucking bald spot under his hat.

currytheword likes this.
  25. schackbr

Regular

state champs cover is fun. i wish it wasn't as close as the original if that makes sense?