Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hop Along Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by G. Jordan Norris, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Love this band so much

2. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

I like what I've heard of the first album a lot more than I remember liking painted shut

3. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I had the same experience, personally loved Get Disowned more than Painted Shut, but it always grew on me and now I love them both. Get Disowned is still my favorite of the two, but I think they're both incredible now. I like the songwriting on GD more because it feels more intimate, but seeing them live really narrowed the divide between how i feel about both records. Lyrics are a big thing for me and I personally like the lyricism of Get Disowned more, that's what ultimately gives it the edge -- the songwriting between the two is more different than it is better or worse on either album.

4. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I honestly have kinda struggled to get into GD, but always wanna keep giving it a try. absolutely adore Painted Shut, though.

5. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

while both albums are fantastic i do enjoy Painted Shut front to back a little more. it's a more engaging listen for me

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think Painted Shut is a tiny bit more accessible, but idk, Get Disowned and to a lesser extent Freshman Year were so weird to me when I heard them first and I loved that, and I also have just spent more time with them both than I have with Painted Shut, so that's probably also a contributing factor. Both are amazing

7. 0rb

is this a dream? ✫・゜

This band is making the best music in the scene today. They are incredible. The songwriting is as tight and flawless as it gets.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  8. Importer/Exporter

The song structures are always very interesting, on all the albums. There's a lot of Dismemberment Plan vibes on a song like 'The Knock'. Frances also writes some of my very favorite lyrics.

9. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

the fact that the songs got so much tighter and more interesting after the algernon dudes came along makes me so curious to hear what a follow up to parrot flies would have been like

10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Get Disowned is my favorite. Though, I got into the band before Painted Shut came out so there's a little bit of bias since it was the first one I heard. I do like how Get Disowned is a bit more experimental and diverse than Painted Shut though. Painted Shut stays as just guitar/drum/bass songs the whole album, where as Get Disowned has some other sounds that I think work really well at make the songs feel more out of the normal. I also like the lyrics on Get Disowned more. They're both really good though.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think the arrangements got tighter, don't know that anything on Painted Shut is more interesting, at least not by a huge significant margin, despite how awesome Joe's guitar work is.

12. MegT585

Trusted

Any word on what this band is into? Working on a new album?

13. Importer/Exporter

I saw something several months ago that made it sound like Frances was writing new songs. Unsure where they are in the process, though. I would love to get something this year, it's already been my favorite year for music in a long while.

14. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Frances has talked about how she's a slow writer but everything they do has been worth the wait. God this is one of the best bands ever

15. Importer/Exporter

Woo-hoo hoping for early 2018

Aregala, gonz (Alex) and jols like this.
  16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

hoping for tomorrow, midnight sharp also this is the best band

Aregala likes this.
  17. Preserved Moose

Amateur Hour

I listened to Painted Shut again the other day. I'd forgotten how amazing it was. Every song is just phenomenal.

coleslawed likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I think I still give a slight edge to Get Disowned but they're both varying degrees of perfection y'know what i mean?

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  19. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I love Painted Shut, and it's what got me into the band, but having listened to Get Disowned for the first time tonight, I'm kind of surprised there wasn't more of a vocal backlash to Painted Shut as it seems they really made an effort to make their sound more accessible. Obviously, I think it was for the best, but Get Disowned is definitely the more unique and daring album. I'm really looking forward to what they do next.

20. cwhit

i don't like get disowned that much and i love love love painted shut

the algernon guys really tightened up the band's sound on that record

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Get Disowned is every bit as good as Painted Shut imo

Not getting into the which is better game because they are both among the best records of the 2000s and she is one of our best living songwriters

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I agree. I certainly need to listen to Get Disowned more, but for me it's not as...visceral as Painted Shut is. The "tightened up" sound you allude to is what makes that album work so well for me. Get Disowned is different, it's cool - great, even - but it's not HITTING me quite as hard.

It's just not what I was expecting when I turned it on this evening, haha. All I could think was that it's a totally different beast from Painted Shut.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Yeah would also agree that Get disowned holds more of their best but painted shut is more consistent. Would say Joe helped an already great live band get better, but from a writing perspective I don't think he's put them in a new unreachable level or anything because Frances is such a good songwriter already

Heart likes this.
  24. Importer/Exporter

Painted Shut is so great. Get Disowned is so good.

25. cwhit

...does this mean things are happening???