Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (April 6, 2018) Album • Page 33

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Philll

Trusted

I've listened to so little new music this year, so it's a no brainer that this is number 1 for me.

Preserved Moose and teebs41 like this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This is getting snubbed everywhere!

3. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Can’t say I’m surprised, given the scene the band is coming from, but it’s firmly at #3 for me.

4. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

incognitojones likes this.
  5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

6. cherrywaves

Trusted

Somewhere in my top 20 I think

7. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I assume the album just came out to early in the year and all publications have forgotten about it because they just hop along'd to newer/more recent albums

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Narratives are important in these big publication lists, and Hop Along is just kind of a sick band that made a great album. There are other similar bands that even if they didn’t make an album on this level imo, carry the largest themes in more obvious less nuanced ways, so they can fit into an idea more clearly, and be recognized by an aggregate list as a important reason for inclusion over more subtle explorations of the same thoughts.

sean_rugy and OhTheWater like this.
  9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this album came out an entire month after soccer mommy

incognitojones likes this.
  10. jols

Trusted Prestigious

Painted Shut was my 2015 AOTY. I really thought that was the year for them to jump on all the lists, as far as timing goes. I was surprised at the lack of results then, so this is about what I expected.

11. Philll

Trusted

It's funny coz I feel no one is lukewarm on Hop Along, either you haven't heard of them or you love them.

12. Lucas27

Trusted

This is easily the best record I've heard all year that I've hardly listened to at all. Fixing that soon.

13. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I know a decent amount of people who can’t stand Frances’ vocals.

14. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

My wife can’t stand her singing. I love it. We are perfectly balanced. Like the breakfast in a cereal commercial.

15. Gooddayz

always and forever

This truly is wonderful. I wasn't too keen on her vocals before, but this album made me a believer.

Mary V likes this.
  16. DeathOrGlory Dec 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2018)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Good debuts seem to be treated more charitably than new releases from established bands.

Though if someone could give me a legitimate explanation as to how that Soccer Mommy record is better than this one, I would be thrilled. The lyrics were more direct I guess? The musical aspect is... fine. Competently executed indie rock songwriter songs are always pleasent. Gah. I enjoyed Soccer Mommy! I shouldn't be mad about the acclaim that it's getting but I love Hop Along that much and will gladly argue their case to anyone that I know.

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Soccer Mommy is also in my top ten and a totally different record than this, they're not even the same genre really.

teebs41 and ChaseTx like this.
  18. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Yeah it's a shame, this album deserves a lot more attention. It's pretty amazing lyrically, so many lines off this still follow me around in my everyday thoughts. Really left an impression on me.

FrankieThe4th and incognitojones like this.
  19. afternooon vanilla sunnnnn

Signifire, ChaseTx, CarpetElf and 4 others like this.
  20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

So strange (so strange, so strange)

ChaseTx, dadbolt and FrankieThe4th like this.
  21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I, I don’t know why, I’m so mean each time I come to visit

Signifire, ChaseTx, Lucas27 and 4 others like this.
  22. username

hey you lil piss baby

The change up in Not Abel is my favorite thing in music this year.

Gooddayz, Mary V, CarpetElf and 6 others like this.
  23. This line is stuck in my head at least once a week

Signifire and incognitojones like this.
  24. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this is 100 percent true and it makes me kinda mad even as it makes sense

Larry David likes this.
  25. Lucas27

Trusted

I’ve only listened to that song three times (and haven’t since the album came out) and this part still pops into my head.