Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hollow Knight Video Game

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by xapplexpiex, Jun 19, 2018.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I got this for my Switch a couple days ago and haven’t stopped playing.
    I’m not really a gamer anymore. I only have a Switch and Mario Odyssey and I heard praise for this game. This is similar to Castlevania and Metroid, which are two of my favorite series. I haven’t even been doing the main story in a while; I’m just farming gold for new upgrades.
    Anyone else play? Where are you in it?

SpyKi likes this.
  2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm about ten hours in, can't understate how bad I am at it but having a blast all the same. So far my progression has been Forgotten Crossroads > Greenpath > Fungal Wastes > City of Tears > Fog Canyon. Might hit Royal Waterways next but I'm not sure. Cleared the first two bosses but I'm going to avoid any more for a while and just explore/get better at combat/find some useful charms and shit

SpyKi likes this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought this was getting a PS4 version. :tear:

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I think I’m about where you are. Also look for Howling Cliffs. Go where you started the game, all the way left of the town. Use your wall jump to get to the top of the cliff and go that way.
    I can’t figure out how to get through the black goo in the Fog Canyon that’s separating me from the map guy.

5. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Promised myself I'd beat at least one of the games I'm in the middle of before grabbing this. That being said, it's a must-have for me and I can't wait to play.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

See, I went that way and got back up to Kings Pass, the starting area or whatever but couldn't find a way to Howling Cliffs from there. Guess I'll go back and do some more exploring!

Also, I haven't got the map for Fog Canyon yet either so I'm no help there... did you buy the quill from the shop yet? It's been nice to have my map atleast partially updating when I can't find Cornifer

7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Yep. Also, buy pretty much everything at the map dude’s wife’s store. Her items let you see vendors, stag stations, benches, and other things you’ll need later in the game.

8. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

This is my favorite Metroidvania, period. Can't say enough positive things about it.

Glad the Switch version is renewing interest as it seemed more ignored than it should have been last year. The Switch version is so great. Runs beautifully and the HD rumble is on point.
    There are a handful of areas blocked by that black goo. You won't get the item that allows you through it until quite a bit later and there's not much of a reason to come back to Fog Canyon until that happens. I think Fog Canyon was the 3rd to last location I got a map for.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Cool. I’ll keep that in mind.

Have you played Fe? Idk much about it, but it’s on sale and seems similar.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Man I pumped so many hours into this game, love it. Playing it on a handheld must be a blast

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Started playing today. Trying to beat the mini-bosses is frustrating.

12. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Enjoying it too. Difficulty is a little higher than my liking though for sure.

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Oh just you wait...

clucky likes this.
  14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

If you’re having trouble with an area/boss just go somewhere else? You’ll probably find a charm that will make whatever you’re stuck on super easy

xapplexpiex likes this.
  15. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This is what I’ve been doing. I tried Sould Master over and over, then skipped it and came back way later. I now have a charm that extends the Nail’s range and two more skulls on my life meter. I beat him in one try. There are items and upgrades from bosses that you need to move forward, but you can still avoid them until you absolutely need them.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't say I'm stuck. I'm just trying to learn patterns and what not. I'm going against the Elder Hu dream warrior and its taking a while to really get it down. Think I'm going to have to upgrade my weapon to really get it done.

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

You started playing yesterday and you’re already there?

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I might not be playing it right. So far I've gone through Crossroads, Greenpath, Crystal Peak, Resting Grounds. Hit Fog Canyon and Fungal Waste but haven't explored too much in either. Hit Queen's Station before I shut it off.

19. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

If you hit all those places and Queens Station was the last of them you got to, we’re playing in different orders. I’ve been fully exploring each area on my map before I go to the next place. And I spent a lot of time at the bank and farming to hunt down and buy the upgrades.

20. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Well, and here’s a disclaimer: I don’t usually play video games cause I’m terrible at them haha

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

As I was going through Greenpath, I saw my money was jumping pretty high. Decided that the way to go was with the lantern item. Remembered that the earliest place that needed light was to the far right. Its a really tough area, but I ended up getting through it. Bless the dash ability.

22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I got the lantern way late and went there. I never had gold cause I didn’t care about getting my shades back. Then I found the one vendor to sell my relics to and got a ton. Buy the keys too, to unlock doors that only they can open. I only found one in the map and the rest you need to buy.

23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I loved this game. Some of the later bosses gave me significant trouble, lol.

24. recall reality

"But existing is basically all I do!" Prestigious

Team Cherry is doing an AMA tomorrow on /r/NintendoSwitch

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've made a ton of progress but there is a ton of tough stuff I'm trying to figure out. Tried fighting the Failed Champion and Soul Tyrant and they wiped the floor with me. Tried the Mantis bosses but they beat me down handily too.