Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hold The Dark (Jeremy Saulnier, September 28th, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by I Am Mick, Aug 21, 2018.

1. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Based off the book of the same name, directed by Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, Green Room) and screenplay by Macon Blair (I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore) and

Starring Jeffrey Wright, Alexander Skarsgard and Riley Keough

Out September 28th on Netflix

2. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Noice

3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Just got tickets to see this Friday night at Alamo!

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

About halfway through the book and enjoying it. Hoping I'll have time to finish it before friday

Getting pretty "meh" reviews though, well below his previous films. (60% on RT, but even some of the positive reviews are less than glowing). Main criticism seems to be that it's too dark, which seems odd

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Too dark? From the guy that did Blue Ruin and Green Room?

I Am Mick likes this.
  7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

right? and the book is fucking dark. it's about dead kids, don't know what kind of whimsical romp they were expecting

jkauf likes this.
  8. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

cannot wait for this

9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Just finished the book, pretty excited to see Saulniers take on it. The ending is...odd. I can see people not liking it.

10. flask

Trusted Supporter

The book went a bunch of places I was absolutely not expecting but overall I thought it was exhilarating. They're showing it in theaters in LA this weekend and are suggesting more releases in the future so I can't decide if I want to wait or just watch it tonight.

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

Heard a lot of bad about this around TIFF when it premiered, but Green Room is so fucking good that nothing can dampen my excitement. Definitely seeing it in theatres on Friday.

jkauf likes this.
  12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

This was just okay. It’s way too long and the pacing is odd (they switch up the structure of the book a bit, which already has some pacing issues)

Definitely weaker than green room and blue ruin but still worth a watch

jkauf likes this.
  13. username

hey you lil piss baby

This is so bleak and thoroughly upsetting. I kind of wish I watched it at home because I feel the need to curl up in my bed and recover right now. Jesus Christ.

14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Definitely my least favorite of his films, and kind of let down, but a lot to think about — will probably need a rewatch. Still glad to have caught this in a theater, though.

15. BirdPerson Sep 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2018)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Diving into this now on Netflix

edit: welp not even 20 minutes in and i am wildly uncomfortable lol

16. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Was really into this for the first two thirds and then found the last third to be completely unsatisying. A slow burn that never comes close to paying off. The shootout scene is great and redeemed the movie a bit.

BirdPerson likes this.
  17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Yeah I finished this movie and was kinda confused. All that and he chokes her a little and then forgives her and then they wander off into the wilderness with their kid's casket???

18. I loved this. I was left a little confused and wanting more at the end of it, but after reading some about it I'm satisfied. I'd put this up there with Saulnier's previous films. An enjoyably uncomfortable experience ha.

yung_ting likes this.
  19. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I'm still processing this after watching it last night. It's absolutely bleak and very slow. Really pretty, some good performances, but I'm pretty confused about what exactly happened

BirdPerson likes this.
  20. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

this wasn’t slow at all?

Probably his best film

21. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

By far the weakest of his main three.

I Am Mick likes this.