Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hit the Lights – “Anthem” • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 15, 2017.

1. tobytobes

Regular

Ignoring the whole debate about whether they should have followed up Invicta or Summer Bones, I've liked HTL since the beginning and I feel like this is a boring song by them. It's like fake stadium anthem (no pun intended) pop punk.

2. aniafc

Trusted

Sad but true

3. jorbjorb

7 rings

I remember skip school start fights being fun to listen to back in the day but it's 2017 and I'm kinda tired of this type of stuff now. I liked the direction they were going with Invicta. "Faster Now" which was written with Ryan Key is bad ass.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Jeez, so much hating in this thread lol. This song is decent. Summer Bones was a great pop punk album.

I'm sorry, but you're nuts if you think Nick can't write a good hook. He writes some of the catchiest choruses in the genre.

You post about plenty of other bands that are on PNR still. It would seem a bit strange to pick and choose which bands from the label you'd post about.

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I cannot remember what a single HTL song sounds like outside of stuff on Invicta, so no, he definitely doesn't write good hooks.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

PNR is such a mess. pretty sure there are only like two women on the entire fucking label, that's ridiculous. truly ridiculous.

ehhhh some of the old stuff was incredibly hooky. they just couldn't write unique hooks, every song hit the exact same realm. i do definitely remember plenty though, heh

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I just really don't see how you could say they don't have good hooks, unless you're not a fan of pop punk as a genre.

Not sure what this has to do with what I said?

8. cwhit

i'm saying that there are more reasons pure noise is a mess and shouldn't be posted about in the first place, especially after how they handled all that trash from years ago

picking and choosing shouldn't be okay though, if the reasoning given is "this is on pure noise it shouldn't have been posted anyways"

9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Oh ok, gotcha. I don't disagree, they definitely have their issues.

10. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

How are there 83 posts arguing whether Hit the Lights is an awful band rn. Hit the Lights is an awful band.

11. Jared Luttrell May 16, 2017
    (Last edited: May 16, 2017)
    Jared Luttrell

Regular

Not bad but forgettable. I did enjoy Summer Bones as a catchy summer album. Don't really get the hate for these guys, they aren't the best band of this genre by any means but they certainly aren't as bad as some of you are making them out to be and can write catchy hooks.

jba likes this.
  12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

We're making progress though, this is much less backlash than I got when I called them awful just two years ago on AP

13. TFT87

Regular

From what I can tell this site barely has the number of users AP did, haha.

HTL has great hooks and solid songs. They wouldn't have gotten as far as they have if they didn't, obviously.

14. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

They were on a major after Skip School but got lost in reshuffling and got dropped, then went in to do Invicta. I think they even wrote a song or two with Andrew McMahon for that failed major label album.

15. TFT87

Regular

They didn't get dropped from reshuffling, they left due to disagreements with the label.

jba likes this.
  16. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

I stand corrected

17. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

Not a fan of this new song, but I thought Summer Bones was as fun album. Invicta is still the best thing they've ever released though.

18. thisisacting__

Regular Supporter

It sounds like a couple members of the band are working overtime in here.

FTank likes this.
  19. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

So much hyberbole in this thread. "Worst band ever", "terrible voice", "no hooks." Hit The Lights is a slightly above average pop punk band with some incredibly catchy songs and a lot of filler on their records.

You want to talk about awful pop-punk bands from this era, look no further than Cobra Starship, Metro Station, Breathe Carolina, FTSK, Boys Like Girls, etc. but Hit The Lights isn't one of them.

20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

BLG is leagues better than HTL. lmao

Mr. Serotonin and Joe4th like this.
  21. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I'd still take that first Cobra Starship album over any HTL album save for maybe Invicta

FTank likes this.
  22. cwhit

none of those bands are pop punk though

23. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

What? They're better in about EVERY way.

24. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Of course they are. These are literally the types of bands people talk about when they refer to "neon pop-punk"

25. SkyGrowsBigger

Regular

Remove your favorite band from the list I mentioned and then respond. It will make the discussion more productive in the long-run.