Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hipgnosis Songs Buys Tom DeLonge’s Blink-182 Copyright Interests

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Richard Smirke, writing for Billboard:

Music IP investment company Hipgnosis Songs has begun 2020 in much the same way that it spent the past 18 months — by making a major catalog acquisition.

This time it’s 157 songs by former Blink-182 singer and songwriter Tom DeLonge. Terms were not disclosed for the deal, which sees Hipgnosis picking up 100% of DeLonge’s copyright interests on the first six Blink-182 studio albums, spanning from 1995’s independently released Cheshire Cat to 2011’s Neighborhoods. The musician left the pop-punk trio in 2015.

2. tomtom94

Trusted

So what does this mean exactly? Tom gets a one-off payday and they get the royalties and if someone writes a song that sounds like ATST they can sue?

3. Crazy. But I think this means Tom is never coming back to Blink right?

mynamesgeneric and .K. like this.
  4. BradBradley

Regular

Who knows, but the article says he sold the copyright interests to the AVA catalogue as well. If I had to guess, he needs money for To The Stars.

Mr. Serotonin and Linton9488 like this.
  5. And maybe the divorce. Who knows.

Mr. Serotonin and RaginCajun like this.
  6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I feel like there are a lot of accurate assessments above. I guess it’s his right, but as a music fan it’s disappointing.

RaginCajun likes this.
  7. IATAvalanche

Regular

its a whole lot easier to divy up the money in a divorce if its in hand than if its just song rights

mynamesgeneric likes this.
  8. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

This is a payoff/cash in with the genesis being based in the divorce.

I think it’s extremely short sighted, as the guard starts to change at the advertising agencies - so does the music they license.

Do I think All The Small Things is gonna sell deodorant? No.

But who would have ever guessed Motorhead would pull off multiple multi-year multinational ad campaigns 50 years into their career?

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

I agree with this entirely. I remember Less Than Jake at one of the Warped Tours a few years back saying that they leased the rights to one of their songs from Borders and Boundaries (~15 years old at the time) to the Toronto Blue Jays for one year. When the crowd predictably boo'd, they said, "Hey, you would do the same thing for half a million dollars!" $500k to let a team borrow a song for a year. Insanity.

ManchesterOrch8 likes this.
  10. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

So basically, these songs of his that are like 15+ Years old are only going to see royalties decline with time. So he’s cashing out. So he getting some fast cash.

that’s how I’m seeing it anyways. I could be way off.

BelieF likes this.
  11. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Looks like Tom doesn’t want to be there.

12. thisisasong

In a perfect world, this would be Tom’s response to blink’s decision to work with XXXT. It would be a strong, wordless statement.

Of course we know it’s all about the $$$ to fund Tom’s....projects.

13. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I truly doubt Tom has any idea who XXX is. He probably doesn't even know about that blink song.

IATAvalanche, Jonathan, Zilla and 5 others like this.
  14. thisisasong

Yeah you’re probably right.

15. ManchesterOrch8

Though, this doesn’t touch his quarterly Blink paycheck.

All the shows, merch, possible album sales?, etc.

He still has a healthy income.

MRose24 likes this.
  16. BelieF

Regular

Musicians need to sell out more. Smart move. The best is yet to come. I do feel he will rejoin even if its strictly for studio to get $ and be involved but skip out on touring. Maybe do a short run advertise it as his return charge obscene amounts or play huge venues.

Be cool if they keep skiba if this ever happens lol

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I figured he’d make a guest appearance on an album/single, and everyone could gauge the process from there.

It’d be a good promotion for both bands, it’d be some familiar faces and you’d have a new mix with Matt, Tom and probably John Feldman there in the studio too. Or also do an AvA song feat Mark and Travis.

If egos don’t get in the way, it’d make for a profitable tour. You could have AvA, Blink frat Tom, then Blink.

But maybe these things need to live apart which is fine. I am very happy with Skiba in Blink. It’s also nice for fans to know that everyone is on good terms and just need to be creative in the environment they are in.

18. ManchesterOrch8

He gets paid out the same whether he’s there or not.

19. Ska Senanake

Trusted

It makes me really sad to see Tom's life fall apart before our eyes.

20. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Ctrl + F "Tom is OUT."
    0 Results, a little disappointed

21. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

These are some of the wildest assumptions I have ever seen.

slimfenix182 and abcdefg123 like this.
  22. merkky

A fun read indeed!

23. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Yeah I've never seen conclusions jumped to more than with Tom fans. It's really weird

24. ManchesterOrch8

I don’t know if you’re referring to my posts here, but if so, Tom is still a full partner in ‘blink 182 inc’. Any income to the corporation he gets paid out on, regardless of his participation, in perpetuity.

25. cricketandclover Jan 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2020)
    cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Hipgnosis has bought so many artists’ catalogs over the past year. Sam Hollander, The Chainsmokers, Poo Bear, Brendan O’Brien, Jeff Bhasker, Jack Antonoff. None of those people are dying for money, but everyone just assumes Tom’s broke because he cashed out. Hilarious.

This is just the future of the industry and investing, not Tom heading down to the pawn shop.