Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 919

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

not in my circles, the cool and lasers were both wayyyy more popular

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

F&L had a lot going for it: It was exec produced by Jay Z, Lupe had a ton of buzz from being on Kanye's 'Touch the Sky' song, it debuted in the top 10, and was nominated for several Grammys. As mentioned earlier, it sold 300K+ right out of the gate. That's no small feat for a debut album. I worked at a clothing store at the time it was released and all I ever heard was I Gotcha, Kick, Push and Daydreamin.

The Cool/Lasers had better first week sales than The Cool, but F&L was definitely pretty popular.

3. cherrywaves

Trusted

F&L a classic to me

4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

it really is an unbelievably promising debut. I love The Cool but it doesn't quite live up to F&L.

My Lupe hot take is that Drogas Wave is his best project and an underrated masterpiece.

ncarrab likes this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah. That album didn’t do all that well (well below what people were hoping it would do) in at a time at which the industry was on death’s door. It’s really not that odd.

sophos34 likes this.
  6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It really says something about how good Lupe is when an album as incredible as F&L is only my third favorite by him

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

I once had to launch a whole operation to get the F&L CD back from my ex's house

Crisp X, irthesteve and ncarrab like this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Lupe has four classics imo:

F&L
    The Cool
    T&Y
    Drogas Wave

Not in that order but all are insanely good.

Lupe doesn't get the respect he deserves (although he tends to bring some of that onto himself).

OotyPa likes this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

I liked F&L at the time but people, including me, were (unfairly) expecting something like College Dropout and Be and it wasn't that. I feel like he was never quote able to shake that off among a certain group of rap fans (many of them around my age or older I would guess). Although subsequent albums might have done better commercially (which had a lot to do with the changing state of the industry too), the hype was never the same anymore. But maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, I like F&L quite a lot still, there's a lot of nostalgia for me there still, but I'm generally not into his catalogue. It's not that I dislike it, I just don't really care. Maybe I need to dig into it again.

Contender likes this.
  10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Those comparisons make sense sonically and contextually, but Lupe was always more lyrical, more political than those two. Honestly, I might give him title of one of the best lyricists in the game.

ncarrab likes this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

I don't know if he's more lyrical or political than Common, but he is up there. But yeah I mean those comparisons happened when people only really knew his Touch The Sky verse.

12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Drogas Wave is probably his best but F&L has some of my favourite hip-hop songs ever on it. the cool, daydreamin, hurt me soul? that jay-z verse? some absolute winners there

ncarrab likes this.
  13. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Tried getting into The Cool and F&L like eight or nine years ago and neither really stuck with me. Never really got the hype tbh although he can def spit. Touch The Sky is still his most memorable performance for me.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

F&L > College Dropout and it's not even close for me.

Also, if y'all haven't listened to Drogas Wave, yet, please do so.

Rowan5215 and OotyPa like this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

A legend. RIP.

riotspray likes this.
  16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

riotspray and Signifire like this.
  17. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

best song ive heard in a while

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The Cool>F&L for me but both are amazing

T&Y and Drogas Wave are also incredible, incredible albums

19. PauLo

43% Burnt

30 years and still one of the best ever.

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

25 years for this classic too

21. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

22. The Lucky Moose

cherrywaves likes this.
  23. aliens exist

pure on main

new princess nokia track is fun

Contender likes this.
  24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Anyone check out the Rezcoast Grizz album??

25. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Oh shit, I didn’t know he dropped an album. I really like his stuff, but I know some people in here don’t. I like the indigenous representation.

The Lucky Moose likes this.