Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 865

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

don’t like him. i’ve said before that he’s every bit as mediocre, underwhelming, and nondescript as people spent years now saying j cole is/was

though he seems like a cool guy in general

soggytime and incognitojones like this.
  2. I never cared for him until that last record. No Pressure had some great stuff. Have tried to go back to his earlier stuff to see if my mind changed and it’s still largely a miss for me though. Underwhelming is a good word

3. congruence

Got a light?

I’ve always been someone who finds J Cole overrated and I don’t know how this album will hold up over time but on first listen, it seems a lot more interesting than the last few imo

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I was impressed that he somehow managed to get Will Smith to rap on his album, otherwise I’m not a fan of his music

6. irthesteve

which album is Will Smith on?

7. The Lucky Moose

Not the best of the more recent Will appearances though, this one was a lot better and way longer

8. irthesteve

Ahh thought you were talking about J Cole haha. I think I've heard that Logic song but don't remember. I'll check out the second song though

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  9. PauLo

43% Burnt

I just find Logic to be really corny. At least I think he's corny. I normally forget i've heard him seconds after listening to him. Probably not a good sign.

Not even Madlib production could save him.

ncarrab and The Lucky Moose like this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

Agreed, though to be fair I'm sure it wasn't mean for me in the first place lol

11. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I will always be biased towards Logic because he's from my hometown and I literally watched him grow from the very beginning but his first four mixtapes, his first two albums and his most recent album are all really great imo, and then everything in between is super spotty. I never think he gets outright bad although I can see why some people do, but he definitely gets more hit or miss, and some of those misses are pretty damn big

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

I will always respect this angle. Like, I despise Drake, but if you’re from Toronto, he should be your boy :crylaugh:

tdlyon likes this.
  13. The Lucky Moose

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm seeing A LOT praise for the J. Cole album from all kinds of directions

jorbjorb likes this.
  15. jdr2187

jdr2187

I think this one came out last week, but I’m loving this new McKinley Dixon album.

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Currently jamming out HARD to Beam Me Up Scotty.

17. TheGuyfkaFringeofLunacy

Trusted Supporter

The new J. Cole is fantastic....like totally surprised by it.

[​IMG]

jorbjorb likes this.
  18. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Nicki tape is :fire:

OotyPa likes this.
  19. soggytime

Trusted

I was into Logic's mixtapes when I was in college circa 2012, but my opinion of him drastically changed when he started dropping albums. He came off super corny and I actively disliked everything he put out probably until that last album.

Seems like a decent dude tho

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

30 years. Damn.

21. irthesteve

I've listened to every J Cole album multiple times, yet, every time I listen to J Cole I think to myself "oh, this is what he sounds like?" Like, does he have the single least unique voice across popular rappers or am I just crazy?

Anyway, new album is mostly enjoyable

Contender likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So, as someone who has tried to get into J. Cole for literally years, this is the first album of his that just immediately clicked with me.

23. kaeru

pillbugpdx Supporter

Anybody listen to this yet? Pretty awesome debut IMO

24. -deleted-

-

I can’t believe you guys find J Cole boring. Find some of his stuff super raw, authentic and thought provoking especially when compared to so many other current big rappers rn.

25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think all J Cole is boring takes are about his sound and style not his substance, at least that's how I view it.