Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 844

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

3. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Fair and agreed. But omgg are there white LGBT folks who believe that makes them beyond reproach when their queerness intersects with race. Racism and white chauvinism is all the same to Black and POC LGBT whether from whites LGBT or the traights..

4. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

as white queer, it definitely makes me feel uncomfortable to take up space in a conversation that isn’t for me. it’s not my place to bring up toxic traits in the hip hop community. the queer black community can use their voice and I will definitely stand aside and listen learn from their analysis of his life

he was a complicated man and it’s hard to unpack that in a short span

5. The Lucky Moose Apr 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The stuff he said also wasn’t very out of the ordinary in rap music at that time (which in turn had a multitude of reasons, which is why just judging individual participants without knowing about the broader culture is a little shortsighted). The songs on which he said those just just happened to become huge hits. Not that that excuses it, but I think a little context is nevertheless helpful.

Contender likes this.
  6. -deleted-

-

This is genuinely one of the most important things I’ve learned as a straight white man, raised by a black man and growing up with a half black family. I can call those hateful lyrics what they are on the surface. But I can’t even comprehend, relate to, or fully understand what it’s like to see someone of X’s background and lifestyle make it in a major industry. It means more to so many than it does to me, just a plain white fan. That era of rap is full of many rappers who opened a window into the reality of black culture and living in America, and the struggles and ideals that went with it.

trevorshmevor and Contender like this.
  7. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Sounds like you should talk about this with your therapist, Tony.

Sean Murphy and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  8. -deleted-

-

Yeah Melfi def seems to be the one with the answers on this subject.

9. Seen him live in fucking Reading PA a few years ago.

Scariest show I’ve ever been to lmao.

RIP

Zilla and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  10. -deleted-

-

You’re not wrong on the facts, though the president regardless of background is elected to represent and make decisions for our entire country. His responsibility and influence is far greater than DMX’s is.

Obama’s recognition and significance as a black man becoming president stand on their own merits apart from his political choices. I dislike and am against our government entirely in how we have handled immigration, war, poverty and many more subjects. Much like me being able to say that I disapprove of lyrics that he once used in his career. Though, I will never be able to take away from or criticize the connection and positive influences from either made in black communities.

It’s hard for me to really decipher where a line should be drawn and don’t think I’m even in a position where I get to decide that outside of my own personal thoughts.

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'm really into this new Brockhampton album

12. The Lucky Moose Apr 9, 2021
    (Last edited: Apr 10, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

In the course of your discussion you guys diluted that tweet. It was about people celebrating his death, not criticizing him. Big difference.

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm not going to lie, I came on this site dreading reading "he had homophobic lyrics, fuck him" posts but I'm really glad there's been so much more nuance

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  14. DMX’s first two albums came out when I was in middle school and they ruled the school. I never got into anything after those but they were bangers.

15. PauLo

43% Burnt

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Someone said in the comments he was like the rap Bill Murray due to him turning up everywhere.

Anthony_Soprano and angrycandy like this.
  17. btr

Trusted Supporter

Yup, he showed up in Buffalo a while back randomly in the kitchen of IHOP making omlettes. Incredible

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  18. -deleted-

-

Him rapping Rudolph came up on my feed yesterday and it took me back.

irthesteve likes this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

20. The Lucky Moose

21. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

There’s like a lore around here that DMX once ate at the Waffle House a few minutes down the road from where I live, haha. Ive always thought about him every time I drive by it for the past 10-15 years.

22. The Lucky Moose

23. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

24. The Lucky Moose

cherrywaves and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  25. The Lucky Moose

Also Irv Gotti is a legend:

"Irv Gotti landed an A&R job at Def Jam, where he screamed to anyone who would listen that they needed to sign DMX before quitting, telling president Lyor Cohen that he’d rather “be on the streets than work at such a “wack label.”