Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 814

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I know a lot of their songs but also I couldn’t care less about this battle or a F vs YT battle

Also TS is more popular with than a lot of people realize

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Travis Scott is easily more popular than Future or Thug in terms of my students/most people I know who listen to mainstream hip hop, I just think he stinks. Future a close second. I don’t think any of my kids fuck with Thug.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

Yeah that has been my experience too

4. PauLo

43% Burnt

Travis has collabs with Nike (which have all been hyped a hell of a lot more Kanye has in the recent past) and McDonalds. He's definitely had more mainstream exposure in recent years than Future and Thug.

5. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Popularity should have zilch to do with who wins a battle. Thug is easily the most talented of the three.

6. PauLo Jan 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2021)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

If you don't listen to them, why would you know their songs? I have barely listened to the radio in the past 15 years. haven't watched any music TV for about 10. I don't have friends that listen really listen to rap. I'm nearly 38, so I rarely, if ever, go to clubs or bars that would play mainstream rap. It's only been the past 3/4 years (since posting on here actually) that i've started to tolerate trap/rap with auto-tune/vocal effects. And even then, it has to be interesting musically too.

I mean, a lot of it is also that I have such a shit memory when it comes to remembering song titles haha.

7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's fair. It's all about what you surround yourself with. Like I said, it's probably my own bias since I'm a pretty big fan of Future and Young Thug and don't really care for Travis very much. Just a little surprised to see people say they only know one song by them, because they seem kind of unavoidable (Future especially)

8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I agree that Thug is easily the most talented of the three, but popularity definitely has something to do with who wins a verzuz battle. It's about who has the most recognizable hits.

9. btr

Trusted Supporter

Future wips out Codeine Crazy and it’s game over

DarkHotline and riotspray like this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

Well, it's not actually a rap battle lol these things really are the closest thing you could come to a popularity/hist contest

11. The Lucky Moose

12. cherrywaves

Trusted

Travis Scott is arguably bigger than Future is right now, but Future is a close second and has a longer track record of popularity. If the target audience was zoomers then yeah Travis probably takes it.

riotspray and OhTheWater like this.
  13. The Lucky Moose

I don't know, I know a lot of people my age (so not Gen Z) that are more likely to listen to Travis than to Future. Why I don't know. Then again most those people would never watch something like this either.

14. The Lucky Moose

Idk how anyone gives a fuck about this anyway when there is an Ashanti vs Keyshia Cole Versuz coming up

Contender likes this.
  15. cherrywaves

Trusted

I don’t think I could name one Keyshia Cole song if I tried

riotspray likes this.
  16. PauLo

43% Burnt

Don’t think I even know who Keyshia Cole is

riotspray likes this.
  17. The Lucky Moose Jan 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

That’s on you. It is an unbalanced match up for sure but she has bangers.

A good introduction for rap nerds is her “Song Cry” response:

That’s not one of the hits though.

Contender likes this.
  18. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Travis is a festival headliner
    Future is line 3
    Thug is line 2 max

19. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Travis is basically a corporation at this point
    Future is line 2
    Thug is the end of line 2, maybe higher depending on the size of the festival

irthesteve likes this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

Travis > Future > Thug in terms of festival slots lol

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

the spotify numbers aren’t particularly close. travis is much bigger

future is better and has more fun songs

riotspray likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

Eddie Huang’s movie starring Pop Smoke is coming soon

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

travis scott is closer in spotify listeners to taylor swift than he is to future. insane.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

He is a legit pop star

25. PauLo

43% Burnt

Just had a skim through her first album. Really digging some of the beats and she has a great voice. Doesn't sound as plastic as a lot of RnB from that mid 2000's time that gives me nightmares haha. Gonna have to give it a proper listen.