Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 808

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Lol that GZA thing is wild fact

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

Had to google her and still none the wiser haha

3. OotyPa

fall away

People gonna call me wrong or an old head for this but goddamn the things I’d do to never hear that Pop Smoke “Thief in the Night” song on the radio again

4. The Lucky Moose Jan 3, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 3, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

She’s a very big Hip Hop radio host. Not that you’re really missing anything, it’s just that if you do know her, that GZA fact is random.

5. The Lucky Moose

trevorshmevor and matthaber like this.
  6. OhTheWater and xapplexpiex like this.
  7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

@The Lucky Moose
    @PauLo
    Post this thread’s list in the staff’s AOTY thread. I don’t want to triple post haha.

8. The Lucky Moose

PauLo, xapplexpiex and irthesteve like this.
  9. The Lucky Moose Jan 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 4, 2021)
    The Lucky Moose

No shot at RTJ (both guys are legends and the album made our list too), but I was 98% that RTJ was going to be on the Chorus list as the only rap album lol It’s so predictable. People could at least be a little less obvious when picking their token rap album.

tdlyon, soggytime, Cameron and 6 others like this.
  10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yep, I was going to say the same thing in here haha. To be fair, we had this discussion when the album came out and all of us knew that would be the token rap album for the year, haha.

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Eh, I liked it as much as 90% of the albums that made the hip hop aggregate list, tbh (which is to say...it was ok)

12. The Lucky Moose

there’s no way they listened to any other album, since neither Kendrick nor Kanye released one lol frankly I can never be sure they actually listened to the album they did put on the list

irthesteve likes this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

And, to be fair, that was really the only "unanimous" and accessible album to crack a lot of lists outside the site as well. It'd be fucking wild to see Fredde Gibbs make the Chorus.fm EOTY list, haha. Uzi had a shot, I guess, but I really didn't think it was that good. The aggregate list's number 6 album was only on 3/16 submitted lists...even in here there really wasn't a huge consensus.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  14. The Lucky Moose

Oh yeah. It’s not just Chorus of course. The rest is just as fake lol

Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t believe any of them

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Haha who is "they"? Idk when this thread got so weird and contentious towards the outside site/staff (a handful of whom are posters in here!). This isn't the niche grumpy oldhead thread that it was on AP, that us vs. them shit went out the window a while ago, I was there for it. Just skimming the individual lists has 070 Shake and Navy Blue and Gibbs. Those types of albums would have been nowhere near the staff lists outside of 1-2 like 8 years ago. I'm happy to see the growth. No need to hate! If I were on staff, my list would have a bunch of hip hop tapes on it but none would make the aggregate list.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There are 3 white male "rock" groups in the top 10. 3! If you told me that would happen in 2012...shit 2015 I would have laughed my ass off. I'm genuinely happy with the list this year. Should there be more hip hop? Absolutely. But I disagreed with the choices/trends in this actual thread as much as the overall site list, haha.

17. The Lucky Moose

I don't have a problem with anyone. It amuses me more than anything.

'They' is the previously indie rock-only (exaggerated) music press that now covers hip hop through an incredibly narrow lens, largely because they frankly are forced to do so by the zeitgeist, not because they actually care. That’s why their choices to me don’t seem consensus choices but more like token choices.

soggytime, PauLo and incognitojones like this.
  18. The Lucky Moose

Again, maybe I'm just paranoid lol

19. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Would like to chime in that the site list this year is less cringe than usual, here’s to hoping we reach zero cringe in the near future.

Feel like there are a lot of rap albums that had crossover appeal, but they’re from relatively small artists who aren’t on enough people’s radar, especially for sites that don’t really cater to hip hop fans in general, let alone any of the more niche hip hop sub genres.

The Lucky Moose and xapplexpiex like this.
  20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

So then what's the answer? Lack of hip hop should absolutely be called out, I've been fighting that battle for over a decade with the same people. There are still staffers who have a 100% white, 90% male dominated list each year. That sucks! There are posters in here, some towards the top of the most active posters list, who wouldn't have stepped foot in a hip hop thread on the old site. Some who actively shit on artists we were trying to hype/the genre as a whole. Should I be calling them out for their lists because I don't think they're "genuine"?

Staffers were called out for lack of diversity for years. Now, they have hip hop on the list (and on individual lists and then they show the math for the aggregate) and people are calling them out for being "forced to do so"? Idk. I had the same argument last year and it led to all of that ugly NF shit that ended with a staff member of color (and hip hop fan) leaving the site over it.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This Navy Blue tape is pretty good

The Lucky Moose and Aaron Mook like this.
  22. I would've loved for Gibbs (and Navy Blue, obviously) to make the list lol. There wasn't any behind the scenes effort to keep them off, it's just an aggregate list like @OhTheWater said. I wish there was more hip-hop too and I think we'll get there. I'm not the best at keeping up either, but I continue to offer up less mainstream hip-hop albums anytime someone is looking for recent recs.

And just to clear it up, there's no way a Kanye album would have made our list in 2020 lol

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  23. Replay value on the last one was insane because it was under 30 minutes, excited to spend more time with this one considering it's nearly double the length

OhTheWater likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The last track is something special. Gonna spin this a lot (and maybe count it on my 2021 EOTY list)

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

As much as we knew it would only be RTJ, ranked lowly, I also personally didn't connect to a lot of hip-hop this year, so my personal list is lacking in the genre and I know it.

On the flip side, I ended up with a multi-genre, multi-racial, multi-gender, multi-identity list that shows how much has changed for me since the 00s pop-punk days of my youth.