Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 623

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I grew up in the one for the club, one for the ladies, one for the streets, one for mom etc. era. A lot of albums now, even albums I like, are kinda too one-note for me.

#JustOldHeadThings

AndrewSoup and irthesteve like this.
  2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I LOVE Lizzo's album the most of any hip-hop album this year though, although it obviously stradles pop and hip hop way more than maybe any other album this year

riotspray likes this.
  3. irthesteve

Musical diversity within a single album is something that you hear less and less in hip-hop recently, I definitely agree.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I know I sound like a broken record but the Rich Homie Quan album from this year really outdoes a majority of the trap I've heard in recent years. He really pours his heart into his lyrics and vocals and you can feel it, but for some reason gets little to no attention anymore.

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah. That’s fine I guess, but it makes me connect with way fewer albums.

irthesteve likes this.
  6. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Young Dolph and Key Glock - Dum & Dummer
    Chief Keef - Glotoven
    Lil Keed - Long Live Mexico
    Young Nudy & Pierre Bourne - Sli’merre

some of my favorite albums from this year that I didn’t see talked about much around these parts

riotspray likes this.
  7. irthesteve

gimme a few key tracks and I'll check em out

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

it's really short, only 7 songs clocking in at 23 minutes--just hit play and see if you vibe with it.

9. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah there weren’t that many hip hop albums I liked this year sadly. Just looked at my list and it’s really short

Tyler the Creator
    Kevin Abstract
    Brockhampton
    Danny Brown
    Lizzo
    Freddie Gibbs
    Rico Nasty

Contender likes this.
  10. irthesteve

deal.

11. irthesteve

You are easily the most in line with my current hip hop tastes.

ComedownMachine likes this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

13. Signifire

I don’t think I ever checked this out, is it better than his tape from last year Rich As In Spirit? I thought that was cool but kinda samey and not up to the standard he set during the Rich Gang era.

14. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I definitely liked The Gif better than Rich As In Spirit, but none of his stuff has reached the level of excellence of Rich Gang IMO. He's still one of the better melodic rappers out there though.

Signifire likes this.
  15. Signifire

Listening now and yeah I’m def into this more than Rich As In Spirit, good looks

OotyPa likes this.
  16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Naw you're not being rude. I wish I had reasoning as to why I like those songs. It just sounds good to my ears, lol. I do think the lyrics are good, but I don't exactly relate to them being a middle class white boy from the suburbs. Something about that album just stuck with me though and I've returned to it many many times. I actually meant to recommend the song Through Da Storm rather than Dying Breed, but if you don't like what you've already heard it's probably not going to change your mind.

irthesteve likes this.
  17. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

“Get By” by Talib Kweli has been my jam since it was released when I was 13. Still my favorite hip-hop track to this day. Just sayin.

18. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

So I'm listening to the Polo G record now and it's definitely the lyrics that attract me. He has a way with storytelling and his rhyme scheme/ choice of words/ delivery come across authentic. He seems like he really means what he's saying and it feels like it's coming from the heart. @irthesteve If you just totally didn't like it, that's fine, but I would actually recommend listening to "Through Da Storm" if you're still on the fence.

irthesteve likes this.
  19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I mean he has the line, "Keep smokin' these dead n***as, I feel like Redman"

but for real, he does have some more poignant stuff too

20. PauLo

43% Burnt

Droog had a low key great year. Both his albums were great, definitely gonna creep into my AOTY list.

Wiki’s album is fucking great too. I’ve always dug his stuff, but this new album has got me going back to his older stuff a lot more than before too.

cherrywaves and OhTheWater like this.
  21. PauLo

43% Burnt

The thing with a lot of trap for me is it has to really stand out for me to listen. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 acts who I actively listen to (Uzi, Future, sometimes Migos and Thug). There’s a quantity over quality feel with a lot of trap artists too. They release tapes that will have two or three good tracks and a shit tonne of filler. If they took their time and released a focused project, they may have more staying power too.

And I don’t even think I’m being an old head over this either. I want to like trap more than I do, its just there’s so much more garbage to wade through than other rap sub genres. It’s exhausting... shit, thats a very old head thing to say. Maybe just ignore me haha

The Lucky Moose and riotspray like this.
  22. cherrywaves

Trusted

Nah I agree with that. The good stuff is very good but it’s clearly the prevalent sound of the moment and a lot of it is very samey.

riotspray likes this.
  23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I need to listen to the Keef one. He puts out too much stuff for me to keep up. The other 3 are all good though.

24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This has actually been the year of artists I love or used to love really disappointing me with new projects

ScHoolboy Q
    Big KRIT
    Chance
    Kanye
    Kevin Abstract
    Logic
    Anderson Paak (I really have barely gone back to Ventura but still regularly listen to Oxnard)
    YG
    Goldlink

Have all dropped my least favorite or maybe second least favorite album by them

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Also, I know it's a touchy topic but I really fail to see how the Lizzo album is a hip-hop album