Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 612

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

riotspray likes this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

My ranking of those albums

Igor>Lost Boy>I Am>ROTDIII>Championships

I like all of them, super pleasantly surprised that Cordae got a nom. I also thought for sure Chance would get in even though his album didn't go over well

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

this isn't my year for the hip hop category haha, IGOR was great, I wasn't particularly interested in the Cordae album, no interest in 21 Savage AT all, nor the Dreamville comp, never got into Meek at all

4. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Not sure if you're not interested in 21 because you didn't like his past stuff but he's improved DRASTICALLY as a rapper, before this album I thought was fine but it's a legit great album

5. irthesteve

I'll admit I probably haven't heard anything that recent, but from when he was big in what... 2016? Everything I heard from him, features and solo, just thought it was hot trash

6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah he used to be super monotone and one-note imo, he really started experimenting with his delivery and subject matter on this album though. Plus it has OUTSTANDING features, not sure if you knew since they're not shown on streaming services

7. irthesteve

link me to like, 2 tracks you think showcase the album, or him in general, and I'll give a listen tomorrow, just for you ;-)

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Have you heard A Lot? If you haven't that's one of the two, if you have then give me two more lol

A Lot featuring J. Cole

Good Day featuring ScHoolboy Q and Project Pat

Monster featuring the extremely rare Childish Gambino feature (my favorite for multiple reasons lol)

9. irthesteve

oh no, I have heard "A Lot" and laughed at it many times.... truly think that song is terrible lol, sorry.

Will listen to the other two though!

10. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Lol, you may not like the album then...

May I suggest listening to Cordae's album? Haha

11. PauLo

43% Burnt

Yeah, Cordae is definitely the best of a bad bunch. He’s got that Chicago sound to him that Chance made popular. Definitely give him a proper listen.

riotspray likes this.
  12. irthesteve

I listened to Cordae once, and a few tracks more than once. Nothing about it I dislike, but also nothing that felt... new? or particularly unique about it to me. Pretty enjoyable overall though

13. irthesteve

maybe I'm just approaching old curmudgeon age with hip hop. It's been a while since a new artist has really wowed me

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The Meek album should win simply because of the title track

15. The Lucky Moose

Ah yes, welcome to the family

riotspray and irthesteve like this.
  16. PauLo

43% Burnt

If you were really were approaching an old curmudgeonly age, you’d be like me and moan when emcees try to sing more like Tyler did on Igor haha.

Talking of Igor. Didn’t get that at all. Seems like he was trying to hard to get back some of the Frank fans. Haven’t really got into anything Tyler has done since he first broke out with Sandwiches and Yonkers. Flower Boy especially was a bit meh.

irthesteve likes this.
  17. The Lucky Moose

Hey now, I’m curmudgeonly, but I grew up with the original singing rappers so that’s cool in my book.

18. irthesteve

For me, I have never been a fan of Tyler, just slightly barely some stuff on Flower Boy. The fact that IGOR is unlike his previous stuff is a big reason I actually like it

19. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

21 still hasn’t topped Savage Mode or Without Warning imo, but yeah his features have been crazy on point for the better part of two years. I really liked I Am > I Was when it dropped but I haven’t really returned to it. It’s good but nothing too amazing.

20. The Lucky Moose

Fuck the Grammys anyway though, awards died with The Source Awards

21. PauLo

43% Burnt

And The Source as a magazine died by the hands of Smash Mouth a couple of days ago.

22. The Lucky Moose Nov 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Nov 21, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I bought The Source here and there in the last few years and trust me it died years ago. Most of the time I could barely believe what I was reading was real and this comes from someone that was a loyal and even happy reader throughout the peak-Benzino era.

Not that XXL is all that much healthier these days. The only good major rap magazine left that I know is German and they’re barely hanging on. Japan probably has one too, I’m guessing.

23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

R.I.P. "Word Up!"

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Remember Murder Dog?

25. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

lmfaooooo "blue people" on greedo tape is the hardest song ever written about the movie avatar

Jake W likes this.