Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 597

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Getting into Clipping for the first time. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it still took me by surprise lol, I didn't expect QUITE the level of "noise" they get to, I thought it would be more along the lines of Death Grips or JPEGMAFIA. I've only listened to Midcity so far but it was a really cool listen

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

midcity is by far their noisiest album they’ve done. On CLPPNG, they’re still noisy, but they have more of a groove and their song writing really improves. Same with the Wriggle EP. Splendor and Misery takes some listens to get used to after the two previous listens. It’s definitely still a clipping. album, but it’s also very much a concept album. Was nominated for a Hugo award too, which is bonkers! The new one is probably their most accessible to date, but still features prominent noise artists and ends with a 17 minute recording of a piano being burnt!

Sorry, I’m a big fan haha

tdlyon likes this.
  3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm really excited to hear the rest! This is also basically my first exposure to Daveed Diggs outside of his guest spot on Kimmy Schimdt lol

4. PauLo

43% Burnt

Haha he’s basically in everything at the moment! I was worried that clipping. would take a back seat or maybe soften them a little bit after his recent rise to fame, but when I saw Benny and noise act Pedestrian Deposit as features, I was put at ease haha

5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

no he hasnt. with the exception of cadillactica every project has produced severe diminishing returns since return

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  6. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

there's no such thing as an objective best album

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

I always struggle to finish KRIT albums. I always find myself enjoying them but getting bored of them after a while. Definitely an artist who would benefit from having shorter albums.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time is a really good album and the EP he has put out this year has some gems too. I don’t really like the album he put out this year though. I definitely think his discography has become inconsistent compared to his early releases. His highs are pretty incredible though. He’s a very gifted rapper.

9. The Lucky Moose

I think this about every artist now. I wonder if Illmatic was always my favorite album because of that.

10. The Lucky Moose

A Big K.R.I.T. song from this year’s EP I adore is this one:

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

hes great, very talented, amazing producer, very good rapper, but his discog is inconsistent with a bunch of releases that are just....there....whereas return of 4eva and cadillactica are great superb releases. i havent listened to much of anything hes done in the last year or two however, because of the aforementioned diminishing returns.

12. The Lucky Moose

Maybe at some point check out the 2017 album if you haven’t, I remember liking it

13. riotspray Oct 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 19, 2019)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

You're probably right. I fell like he's maybe expanded his sound a little more over time or something but those early tapes were kind of lightning in a bottle.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

So is hip hop evolution on Netflix considered good round here? I just started it it’s pretty interesting. Then the amc one good too?

15. The Lucky Moose

Cameron likes this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  17. The Lucky Moose

When I click on that link, it takes me to a a particular post, but the discussion about the show starts earlier on that page. Telling you just in case.

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Not entirely hip-hop related, but you should check out the movie Blindspotting which he also co-wrote and co-produced. One of my favorite films of last year, easily

tdlyon and riotspray like this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Did some songs for the soundtrack too.

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

yep

21. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Blindspotting is great. Watch it if you haven't.

22. tdlyon Oct 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Oct 20, 2019)
    tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So... CLPPNG is one of the best first impressions an album has had on me in years, maybe ever. Like, I've heard it in full once and a bunch of the songs after because I watched all the videos and I'm already ready to put it on my best of the decade list. I listened to Splendor & Misery also and that was such a fucking cool listen... like a rap Coheed & Cambria lol

Probably going to listen to the new one tomorrow.

Also, I've always meant to watch Blindspotting due to the hype but it's went way up on my watchlist now

PauLo likes this.
  23. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Also, speaking of Big KRIT, I think 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time is one of the most consistently good double albums ever. It's 90 minutes long and there's not a single song I would cut off outside of maybe 1999 but I guess he needed a radio single

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  24. The Lucky Moose

25. The Lucky Moose

I love 1999. It's also the only song I can really recall. I remember loving the album but it's been a while.

tdlyon likes this.