Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 582

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

J Cole is fine. The love for him is overblown, the hate for him is overblown

2. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

j cole does this thing where i could care less about him on solo stuff but his guest features are nice

DeathOrGlory likes this.
  3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

cole is good

4. currytheword

Trusted

Wow. I find myself the minority vote haha.

5. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've seen people compare him to Kendrick Lamar like no

6. J. Cole is great. I'm still made about the Tekashi line, though.

7. username

hey you lil piss baby

J. Cole “Planez” verse

Never forget

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

J Cole writes nice poetry, set to un-interesting beats, with a pretty OK delivery

9. "I let you feel like you the shit, but boy you can't out-fart me" is a classic Cole line lol. I still laugh every time I remember it

currytheword likes this.
  10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

J. Cole seems like a sincere dude and a good person and is doing a lot of legitimately positive things so I can't hate him but his solo material is boring as hell.

11. irthesteve

Yes to all of that

12. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Their irl fanbases are probably 90% the same

13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'm a big Cole fan

currytheword likes this.
  14. irthesteve

do you view him on the same level as like, Kendrick though? I have a cousin who just started college and he sees the two of them as like, the current kings of hip hop, and I have heard similar about Cole and the pedestal the younger crowd puts him on, I just don't get it.

And it's definitely interesting, Cole's last two album threads on this site only got to page 2 and 3, whereas Kendrick's is at page 41, so there is an obvious discrepancy on this website at least, but we aren't the young hip crowd all the time

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'll give my 23 year old perspective then lol

Obviously Kendrick is way better both as a lyricist and overall rapper, but that's not saying much because I think unless he goes massively downhill he's going to be remembered as one of the greats, period.

A big reason I like Cole is just that I love his personality, and he really doesn't beat around the bush with his lyrics, he gets super direct and personal in a way that you know exactly what he's trying to get across. I know that's probably a pretty divisive style because similes/metaphors are an important part of hip-hop but when I just want to hear a dude talk about his life and perspectives he's always a good one to turn on for me

I also generally fuck with his beats and hooks lol. He's also insanely good live

irthesteve likes this.
  16. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

That's not surprising. A lot of people that don't really listen to the genre listen to Kendrick

17. irthesteve

That reminds me of the article, I am sure it's well known at this point, where the reporter goes into a Cole concert just not understanding his hype or anything, then at the end is like.... shit I get it, that show was incredible hah

18. The Lucky Moose

My nephew, 21, also thinks Kendrick and Cole are like Nas and Jay Z basically

irthesteve likes this.
  19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah, I'd recommend seeing him live, or even watching his HBO concert film from the Forest Hills Drive tour. He played the album all the way through and told his story between every song and it almost felt like a one-man-show or something, I felt like I knew him by the end (although IIRC the HBO special cuts a lot of that stuff out)

I'd never call him like my favorite rapper or anything but I generally am a huge fan and actively look forward to when he does new shit. I've already seen him live 3 times

irthesteve likes this.
  20. irthesteve

Look, I know he is a really good storyteller, and a lot of what I see is people relating and being into that. That's great, I think being a really positive role model who tells great stories is extremely important.

It's the stuff past that I don't quite get. His voice, flow, song structures aren't all that inventitive and the backing music is mostly OK to boring.

I guess to me, he is a really good poet and story who happens to put his poetry to music

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Yeah I can understand that, on a purely technical level he's not the best rapper by any means, he tends to keep it pretty basic. Again I don't really mind though, his main appeal to me is his lyrics and like I said he's got some really catchy hooks

I do happen to really like his voice though lol

irthesteve likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

I like his voice. I don’t like Kendrick’s. I wish Cole would make “pop” songs again though.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

To my high schoolers, Kendrick is already viewed as an OG and I honestly don’t think they listen to his music. He’s one of those “well yeah, he’s great” dudes that never gets brought up when kids talk about their favorites.

J Cole, on the other hand, still seems to be the most popular. Lot of love for Lil Durk and Polo G this year

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I usually explain my lukewarm reaction to Cole like this: he’s doing everything right (except some of those super corny lines). He can rap, he talks about things people relate to, he produces listenable music and his own beats and on paper, he should be great. But he’s so damn average on every one of those things that nothing sets him apart. I’ve known about Cole for like a decade now and if a song with him on it came on idk if I could tell you it was him

25. cherrywaves

Trusted

Idk I don’t listen to him much but I can spot him on a track pretty easily

Lenin and The Lucky Moose like this.