Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 524

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I found this by accident and it’s beautiful. Looking forward to this release.

2. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

I mean, I know this is a weird thing to say, but the best people to hold abusers and those accused of abuse accountable are close personal friends. I don't know about Chance but I remember Marc Maron talking about how he was going to keep being friends with Louis CK because Louis needed people to keep him in check and make sure that he didn't spiral. Isolating abusers completely isn't effective if rehabilitation is a goal.

May not apply in this situation though.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. username

hey you lil piss baby

I don’t know if we’re qualifying it at hip hop, but I can’t listen to this The Boyboy West Coast track without at least playing it three times in a row.

OhTheWater likes this.
  4. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

New Wiz Khalifa tape today.

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

riotspray likes this.
  6. PauLo

43% Burnt

New albums by Your Old Droog and Nolan The Ninja are both pretty great.

jdr2187 likes this.
  7. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Please

8. The Lucky Moose

To clarify: doe this mean "post it here" or "yes, make a thread for us" ? :crylaugh:

9. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I would say post it here. The more posts the better. Any new music is interesting.

riotspray, beachdude, jdr2187 and 2 others like this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

I’d be happy with a new thread to focus on international rap. With a few exceptions, the focus in here is nearly always US based rap. Which is totally understandable and I have no issues with it. But stuff can get lost. If we had a new thread, it can be more focused and easier to find recs.

11. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

It depends. I think US and UK rap go quite well together so I wouldn't want to a thread where it may discourage people to check out artists like Dave, JayKae and Stormzy.

12. The Lucky Moose

Yeah, what I mean is rap that’s not in English.

Honeymagnolia likes this.
  13. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

I once came across a great Finnish rapper. If you can help find me who that was I am all for it :-)

14. The Lucky Moose Apr 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 21, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

Weirdly enough that’s not the first time I have heard good things about Finish rap, but I don’t know anything about it, sorry haha

Honeymagnolia likes this.
  15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Do UK people generally fuck with Giggs? I just went through his stuff and found him pretty hit or miss, although to be fair the only real exposure to UK rap I've had is Dave, Little Simz and Skepta

16. This discussion makes me want to revisit more UK based stuff. Been a while since I last kept up with Grime and UK rap in general.

17. The Lucky Moose Apr 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

Yes, Giggs is a legend (I'm not from the UK though).

Anyway, grime and other UK rap-related genres, despite some recent big albums, are traditionally single genres (some would say so is rap in general, but I feel like that depends on the era), so hit or miss is normal. There was even a time when the most important way to engage with grime was to listen to people rap on pirate radio, basically.

18. The Lucky Moose Apr 22, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 22, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

UK rap, grime etc. songs I listened to a lot in 2018:

2019:

As far a 2019 albums goes, I recommend the Dave album and the AJ Tracey album. I also have hears good things about Little Simz, from you I think, haha. But in general I don't really listen to full albums when it comes to these genres.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. The Lucky Moose

While we're at it, for those that care, Dutch rap and R&B from 2019:

2017/18:

And yes, Caribbean and African influences are huge, which isn't surprising if you know Dutch history, demography etc.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

21. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

03 Greedo tape is soooo good omg

Contender likes this.
  22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

wtf did i just watch re: lil dicky song

23. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I’m just gonna stay away from whatever mess that is

24. btr

Trusted Supporter

Wiz Khalifa/French Montana/Playboi Carti tour is out there

25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

how does Wiz still headline to such large crowds? I would have though even Playboi was bigger than him in 2019, but I guess not.