Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 410

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I liked him growing up and I like that he got into Donkey Kong. But his new stuff I’ve hated and his old stuff does not hold up for me.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

The whole "I don't like rap but..." crowd makes me hate him even more lol

3. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I was curious so I caught him at Coachella this year and it was just so... boring

4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I only walked by his set on my way back from something better. I saw 2-3 songs and realized that I did NOT want to watch him. Also he was lip syncing a lot of his faster paced parts of his songs, so that's not fun

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

The discussion about Eminem and the discussion about entry into the genre is basically the same for me. I loved Eminem when I was like 6 years old (definitely should not have been listening to it), but I didn't really get into any other rap until Kanye came around

incognitojones likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

dr whoever on the amine tape is a v good opener imo

Jake W likes this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

riotspray likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Eminem's first few albums are classics. I understand why people don't like him now, and maybe those albums haven't even really aged well, but they definitely stand as a historical moment in the genre.

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

The Slim Shady LP and Chronic 2001 pretty much got me into rap when they came out. But where as 2001 is still something I go back to on the regular, I very rarely revisit SSLP.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

I’ve always thought only about half of 2001 is actually good but nobody ever agreed with me lol

riotspray likes this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

If people that now celebrate all these emo rappers but bash Eminem believe that many of those rappers don’t know The Eminem Show by heart... whatever helps them sleep at night I guess

riotspray likes this.
  12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've always considered myself an Eminem fan, but now that I'm thinking of it, the only albums I ever go back to are Eminem Show and Recovery. I hardly listen to any of his other stuff anymore.

I thought the 8 Mile Soundtrack was pretty good. In fact, the song 8 Mile (not Lose Yourself) is my favorite Eminem song ever.

13. CobraKidJon

I could never get into Eminem besides his singles from his prime.

14. The Lucky Moose

8 Mile OST is pretty good but also maybe also overrated

15. The Lucky Moose

I was exactly the right age during his prime to get into him, but I didn’t. I was listening to like Ja Rule, LL, Cam‘ron and Nelly at the time and Em was altogether too white and angry for me lmao

16. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Off-topic but I had no idea the Valee EP was so damn fire. Really loving this shit rn.

17. The Lucky Moose

I think you’re actually on-topic

18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

8 Mile is a good movie and his career peak actually

19. The Lucky Moose

It is a good movie. I think he had the potential to turn it into an actual acting career.

20. CobraKidJon

always thinking about this song and video

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think he’d struggle outside of that role, and also it was a great move to walk away before eventually ending up in a very bad movie.

22. The Lucky Moose

Maybe but like Will Smith ended up being able to play more than just the Fresh Prince. I think Eminem at least had more inherent talent for acting than a lot of other musicians that tried it. I don’t think he particularly likes it though.

23. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

We’ll never know, he’s only played a version of himself. But seeing how his latest albums turned out it might have been a smart move.

24. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it's truly masterful dissonance that like twenty minutes after the opening track where he talks about the inner guilt that's been building up because of his casual putdowns of women and homosexuals, he puts a homophobic slur in basically every verse of one of the album's biggest singles.

Contender, incognitojones and Jake W like this.
  25. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

he's not a bad actor, but 8 Mile is generic inspirational film imo. kinda like most of his music after he came back