Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hip-Hop Thread Genre • Page 331

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 7, 2016.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

You don't find this song more overtly disgusting and misogynistic than the average Future track?

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, I don't have the lyrics in front of me, so I can't really compare, but comparing the line @cwhit quoted ""i can't wife no thot suck my dick til she see snot" and the line I quoted from Stick Talk, they kind of seem on par with each other.

I guess I just feel like even if this one is "worse" why is everyone okay with the older stuff, and where is the line drawn? I suppose it's more of a personal thing and each individual is going to make up their own mind with what they're okay with and what their not okay with. Just seems like everyone had been praising Future for years and then this track comes out (which at first glance seems like his other stuff) and everyone makes a big deal out of it, although I could be wrong and need to listen closer.

3. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Tbh, I think the line Casey picked out is one of the tamer ones on the track. It gets much grosser than that imo. I don't think it's fair to be calling people out like this though. Yes Future has been praised, but people have also expressed reservations. I think this song brings all those criticisms to forefront. Also, people's opinions change over time, and I'm sure don't feel the need to come into a thread every time their opinion on a song changes just so they don't get called out for slamming another song in the future. It's an extension of the gotcha mentality and it's really unhealthy.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not trying to "get" anyone. Not even trying to point out hypocrisy or anything like that. Just genuinely curious as to why this is considered offensive and his other work isn't. I understand that people's views/opinions change, it just seemed nearly unanimous that people were condemning this song while praising his previous work. Was just wondering why.

The Lucky Moose and Jake W like this.
  5. cherrywaves

Trusted

Honestly as far as the song goes, what disappoints me about it is that it’s just stock/boilerplate misogyny for a song that sounds like it took about two minutes to write. I would imagine what draws a lot of people to Future is that he is a complex character, and while his misogyny in his other songs is still inexcusable, it at least sounds like something he struggles and grapples with. I think of “Throw Away” a lot in that respect

suicidesaints, Owlex and brandon_260 like this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is much more elegantly put than what I said.

cherrywaves likes this.
  7. Dope video.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Throw Away is a great example and helps explain the backlash to the new song a little more. Much like the talk about his drug use and his struggles with that.

cherrywaves likes this.
  9. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

New Phonte TONIGHT!

(Still kinda hoping for a new Foreign Exchange record soon lol)

11. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

skogsraet likes this.
  12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Without Warning doesn’t have much replay value for me but Ric Flair Drip is still such a banger

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

14. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. The homage is bringing me back.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Contender likes this.
  18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

If anyone can bounce back from something like that it's the bawse

The Lucky Moose and skogsraet like this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

20. irthesteve

21. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

at the beginning when gods plan was released I was like ok this is just a typical drake song cool.

now after watching the music video and seeing the memes I just really love this song a lot.

I also hate that the line "I only love my bed and my momma I'm sorry" is so damn quotable

dang you drake for doing good.

incognitojones likes this.
  22. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

23. The Lucky Moose

24. irthesteve

That's hopeful, TMZ is always a mess, I remember when they basically said Lil Wayne died

25. The Lucky Moose Mar 3, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 3, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

This Ross news is killing me, I've been nervous all day.

I started as a Ross agnostic, 50 made me more skeptical, but Ross just kept rapping until someday, around "God Forgives, I Don't", I woke up and realized that he had become one of my favorite rappers of all time. He has been an inspiration to me ever since. Some say he peaked but I think he's still getting better. Rather You Than Me was one of my favorite and most played albums last year, Floriday Boy is one of my most played songs of this year. He's been with me almost every day for a long time now now.

Stay strong Ross, the world isn't ready to let you go yet.

Signifire likes this.