Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Jun 7, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

I’m just playing, it’s all good!

zigbigwig likes this.
  2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

gonna be pretty damn happy if a big enough wave breaks from this

3. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

zigbigwig and riotspray like this.
  4. PauLo

43% Burnt

5. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Love this thread idea. Haven't listened to the PE classics in probably over a decade so excited to spin this again this morning.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  6. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

The Angel of Death sample on this record is so dope. The Bomb Squads production is incredible in general.

riotspray likes this.
  7. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

the first 2 Cypress records NEED to be discussed

8. OotyPa

fall away

Giving this a listen today.

9. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Don’t Believe the Hype is in my head all the time now. I love this album now.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  10. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

First time hearing this. I like it! I love the interplay of Chuck D and Flav, the production is pretty sick, and for being an hour long, it didn't wear on me much at all. I also really like the use of the interludes/instrumentals to help break things up and create a strong cohesiveness. I think my favorite tracks off the bat were Bring The Noise, Don't Believe the Hype, Louder than a Bomb, Black Steel, and Prophets of Rage. I'm excited to hear it again and check out more of their stuff.

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Extremely jealous of everyone listening to this for the first time. Enjoy it!

mad likes this.
  12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Album still rips. Listened the last couple days. I love when hip hop gives the same feeling I get when listening punk albums.

13. OotyPa

fall away

Listening to this for the first time. A lot more rock-oriented than I'd expected actually. Good stuff.

First few tracks are fantastic, then there's a bit of dip until She Watch Channel Zero and it picks it back up from there.

I can't say I love Flav's raps tbh. Overall, I'm glad I checked this out but I don't think I'll be listening to the full album often--gets samey after a few tracks--but the standouts are great. Typically with me, though, I feel this way about most 80's rap.

14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

The Slayer sample is so sick

riotspray likes this.
  15. PauLo

43% Burnt

16. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

17. PauLo

43% Burnt

I could watch those sample videos all day

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

[​IMG]

#1 on the newsletter

zigbigwig, riotspray and Cameron like this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

Awesome! I'm really stoked to see so many people join in with this thread. Hope it continues in the coming weeks :-)

riotspray, zigbigwig and Jake W like this.
  20. DaveyA89

For any Apple Music subscribers, Tech9 did his “Gratitude” episode on this album. Pitchfork look like they have an interesting feature on it on their YouTube too.

riotspray likes this.
  21. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

“Bring the Noise” immediately took me back to Tony Hawk Pro Skater. I love Chuck D’s ringmaster vibe.

irthesteve likes this.
  22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I still hear the beeps around the 2 minute mark of the song, signaling that my run is ending

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ya this slaps. Though I’m kinda confused what Flava brings to the table lol. He’s pretty much a hype man it sounds like. Loved She Watches Channel Zero

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

He mostly was a hype man yeah, but they were stil important then

25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cold lampin is more than basically any other hype man brings to the table