Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Jul 5, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s Sunday. You know what that means. Time to dig deep into the past a dig up a classic hip hop record from the past, discuss it, geek out and maybe even be the push for a few people who have been sleeping on it. And this week, we’ve got a bonafide classic in any genre. As you will have seen from the title, we’re checking in with Q-Tip, Phife Dawg (RIP) and Ali Shaheed Muhammad (Jarobi White had left at this point), AKA A Tribe Called Quest, for their 1991 classic The Low End Theory...

58DD4DA1-42A6-4C55-A4C9-56F6B3898912.gif

Man, you could talk about any one of ATCQs albums as a classic and it would be hard to argue what each of us chose. With their first three albums in particular, it could be argued that they’re the best hip hop group of all time. What’s your thoughts on this? Sound off below!

@Henry to pin

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

GOAT

riotspray likes this.
  3. Collins

Trusted

Where to even start with this one. A stone cold classic. If you haven’t heard it, listen to it today.

Also, shoutout to Ron Carter on the bass.

riotspray likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Love it, but I enjoy MM just a tad more

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ve actually heard this one lol. I’ll listen again of course. Awesome stuff.

FTank and Cameron like this.
  6. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I've always liked Midnight Marauders slightly more but this is an incredible album too. Production is amazing and still holds up to this day, and the first verse of Buggin Out will forever be one of the most fun verses to rap along to

We Got It From Here is an incredible album too just for the record, it's pretty easily my third favorite, and it's really close

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

I go back and forth between this and Midnight Marauders all the time and I still haven’t decided on a favourite. I normally listen to both back to back and it makes it feel like it’s one long album haha

8. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

YOU ON POINT PHIFE

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

ALL THE TIME, TIP

Rowan5215 likes this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Love the little MC Hammer diss on Check The Rhime. Hammer then tried to clap back on The Funky Headhunter and failed. Miserably.

Imagine going after Tip and thinking you're gonna come out on top.

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I have a real soft spot for late East Coast hip hop, and this is definitely at the top for the 90s.

12. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I need to revisit this. Been too long since I’ve listened to tribe.

13. danielm123

Trusted

Little bit late for this, but definitely a great album by my favorite hip-hop group. I definitely prefer some their latter stuff over this (and their first album still holds a special place in my heart), but any ATCQ is top level hip-hop. And I think there's an argument to be made for Scenario as one of the top rap songs ever

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

The bass-line on Excursions is legendary. Buggin' Out has one of my favorite verses ever. Infamous Date Rape is questionable and I usually skip it. Scenario is a classic, obviously. Whatever happened to Charlie Brown? Love his voice. The remix is insane too, if you haven't heard it.

I go back and forth between which is my favorite, this or MM.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. Collins

Trusted

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, Jazz (We’ve Got) is iconic

PauLo, trevorshmevor and Rowan5215 like this.
  16. Rowan5215

I can't say enough how I love that moment in "Scenario" where Tip and Busta have that little trade-off, before Busta starts his verse in full. every other posse cut would kill for the chemistry in that song

danielm123 likes this.
  17. PauLo

43% Burnt

Scenario was also a lot of peoples introduction to Busta. His gravelly snarl and Tips smoothness works so, so well.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  18. abcdefg123

Regular

I still think Midnight Marauders is better but barely. This is still a timeless classic.

19. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Q-Tip is just one of the most underrated hip-hop artists ever, both as a rapper and as a producer

Collins, abcdefg123 and danielm123 like this.
  20. omg I love this album so much!! thanks for the great reason to put it on today

has anybody here read Go Ahead in The Rain?

phaynes12 and Rowan5215 like this.
  21. Rowan5215

yes, and it's magnificent as expected. can't recommend it enough

22. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Revisiting this and the album is fantastic. The whole native tounge collective is such a great counter balance to the rise of gangsta/mafioso rap, two sides of the same coin and both great.

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

#2 ever from the genre (behind hell hath no fury). just a perfect example of artistic expression to its full conclusion

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hell Hath No Fury is your #1 hip hop album of all time?

25. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yes