Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hiking

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by elphshelf, Jun 14, 2016.

1. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Branching off from the outdoor recreation thread. Where are your favorite places to hike?

Mine is definitely Sand Run Metropark in Akron. It's very hilly and beautiful, with a stream running through the whole park. It's also unique because at one point the stream actually crosses the road instead of going underneath and the cars drive through it.

Attached Files:

2. Turkeylegz

Trusted

My favorite is a place called French Creek by Lorain, Ohio. But now that I live in the Akron area (Kent) I just google"hiking trails" and go to a new one every time.
    I know the pet store I volunteer at has people walk dogs at Sand Run Metropark often but I have yet to go there!

3. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Cloudland Canyon in Georgia is beautiful. Also, the Smoky Mountains have some great points to venture to.

4. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Acadia National Park in Maine is my favorite spot.

Brent likes this.
  5. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

White Tank Mountains. There are way more scenic places to hike, but that's my closest option. It's also where I started hiking years ago so it's kind of special.

6. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

Acadia is beautiful, especially Cadillac Mountain. Maine has so many great spots.

Ken likes this.
  7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I would like to start. Texas heat can be rough though

elphshelf, muttley and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  8. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Lots good places to hike in Western Mass. Also, Cadillac Mountain is beautiful and I would love to hike it one day. I've only ever been to the top in a car.

Brent, Ken and Laura like this.
  9. jump start

Total ginger. Prestigious

Yeah, I was going to say the Berkshires in western Massachusetts and Connecticut. I used to have so much fun hiking around there.

10. Matt

Any specific places you remember going to?

11. jump start

Total ginger. Prestigious

I actually grew up in a town right in the middle of that area, so I went to a lot of places, but it's been so long I can't remember what most of them were called. The one I do remember was Bear Mountain.

12. Matt

Ooh ok, I think I've been in that area. It looks like its close to Bash Bish Falls which I visit once a year.

13. elphshelf

Anyone else in the northeast Ohio area also needs to check out Blue Hen Falls. It's gorgeous.

14. Hiking in Tahoe is pretty cool

Anticitizen7 and muttley like this.
  15. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

Lake Tahoe? I did a short one up there a couple years ago and left.

I'm sure I could spend at least a week up there without getting bored.

16. Yeah Lake Tahoe. Hopefully I could go up there at least once this summer. Last time I hiked there was last year

muttley likes this.
  17. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Lake Tahoe is wonderful! There's so many different trails and summits to walk all around it, you could spend forever trying to experience it all.

elphshelf and muttley like this.
  18. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

Heading to Maine today. I can't wait to go hiking in Acadia. I hope my gf can handle some of the more intense trails, she seems to be very nervous about it. Oh well, there's so many fantastic options to choose from, I'm sure we'll find a happy medium.

muttley likes this.
  19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My co-host on my podcast Ginger On Ginger recently told a terrifying story of what NOT to do when hiking the Grand Teton.

20. elphshelf

Dude, I missed this thread. I did so many epic hikes this past summer.

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. elphshelf

I live in Kent now too!

22. djwildefire

Trusted

Too exhausted atm, but def gonna participate in trying to revive this thread. I love hiking so much and I’ve had the opportunity to go to so many beautiful places. If anyone needs hiking recommendations in the western half of the US, I’d love to help. I live near San Francisco but I’ve road tripped through most of the western states (haven’t made it out to Colorado yet but am dying to).

23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm back in MT, can def chime in when the weather gets warmer

24. djwildefire

Trusted

@JRGComedy I camped in Glacier National Park September 2018 for 4 nights I think? Unbelievably beautiful area.

The SF Bay Area’s cost of living is absurdly high of course, but really has so much to offer, including countless miles of trails through national, state, and regional parks. Just when I think I’ve checked them all out, I discover some other incredible place. I don’t know of any other metro areas in the US that have this much open space.

Anyway, case in point, yesterday late afternoon I scoped out this place called Castle Rocks that I wasn’t aware of til recently and is only about a 30 min drive from my house. It was gorgeous and the potential for exploring is off the charts so I’ll probably set a full day aside this weekend to explore more. A little panorama I took during golden hour:

DC0BD58A-9C89-44B4-B12B-05D5D7CB3817.jpeg

Also, I can’t talk about Bay Area hiking without mentioning Marin, and specifically Point Reyes National Seashore, which is just off the charts gorgeous. The Tomales Point Trail has the best reward:effort ratio of any hike I’ve done. You hike through headlands that steeply descend to the water, so views of the coastline are incredible the whole way. Some rolling hills but no significant elevation change. What really makes it unique though is the wildlife viewing. It’s located within a Tule Elk Preserve, and you’re guaranteed to see at least several dozen during your hike, but oftentimes far more. Also have seen coyotes, foxes, weasels, and various birds of prey there. Just a world-class hike. From my visit a couple weekends ago:

C98F3761-6D79-4204-8B6B-265B0A378940.jpeg

37563504-2021-4D26-A109-C6B2C8452381.jpeg

stars143 and JRGComedy like this.
  25. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Loved our hikes in Lawton/Medicine Park Wildlife Refuge with bison/texas cattle while living there (and moving back in June). Cape Cod has had some really amazing spots for hiking, including The Knob in Falmouth

[​IMG]
    and our favorite so far being the Atlantic White Cedar Swamp Trail in Wellfleet which reminded us of where someplace Yoda would live.

[​IMG]

stars143 likes this.