Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hereditary (Ari Aster, June 8, 2018) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

idk the last time i was so hyped for a theater experience, y'all are killing me! i'm sure i'll be dying to talk about it tonight

i will give a motherfucker an Icee shower

angrycandy likes this.
  2. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Fave thing was everyone in my audience realizing Toni was floating in the corner at different times.. Totally wild.

I saw a couple people talking about reading the script, can anyone link me to where to find it?

3. Night Channels

Trusted

Was it not included in the script you read?

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I mean there's enough fucked up shit in the movie that it could be a few things. Plus, the big thing happens relatively early in the film and a lot of people were referencing imagery at the end.

5. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

If I had to guess "the scene" was Annie slowly cutting off her own head

6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

What?

Kuri44 likes this.
  7. Night Channels

Trusted

Nope

Charlie’s death

8. zmtr

Trusted

Did not know Colin Stetson did the score for this. How was the score?

Even more excited to see this now.

9. jjnunn118

People have been talking about a scene at the end that will fuck people up.

Course that's implying the whole movie doesn't fuck you up.

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Charlie’s death fucked me up. The head sawing scene was silly. [\spoiler]

11. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

in test screenings after Peter is possesed he gouges his own eyes out, which explains all of the images of his eyes crossed out

12. jjnunn118

Oh... yeah that's probably it and would have pushed me over the edge.

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was wondering why nothing came of that, but definitely grateful for it.

14. Dog with a Blog

I definitely wish they kept this tbh. Would have liked to see something come of those drawings

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I got nervous when I realized most of the trailer was done so early in. Definitely something I worried about beforehand and it made me wonder where we were going.

Also to echo your thoughts, Gabriel Byrne is one of my all-time favorites so seeing this was a mix of joy that he’s in something that will bring him more acclaim and popularity and pure heartbreak at watching him go through it all. I saw him in Long Day’s Journey Into Night on Broadway and there were a few scenes that took me right back to that performance here.

16. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

The sound Charlie makes with her mouth. For the last hour of the movie, there was a group of teenagers making that sound every time there was silence.

17. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

At mine I heard somebody do it quietly in the corner and their date yelling at them as quietly as they could, which was pretty funny. I am afraid this will do for horse clopping/clucking what the Grudge did for croaking.

supernovagirl likes this.
  18. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Seeing this tomorrow and this is one of the first times I've actually been nervous about a movie-going experience. I am fully hyped, but like, kind of preemptively scared??

19. I really enjoyed this, but I was hoping I'd love it more. Final act is amazing, and I love all the stuff with Annie dealing with grief. Toni Collette was pretty great. I'm also one of the people who thought Alex Wolff's performance was a little spotty. The more subtle scenes where he's detached or quietly devastated work, but the moments where he had more overt expressions (crying, yelling, etc.) did not land and undercut those emotional moments a bit for me, unfortunately.

Still, overall I liked it. There's some crazy shit that happens, real emotional depth, and surprisingly some humor. I was worried about the 2+ hour length at first, but thankfully the movie justified it.

20. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

LOVED it. In terms of material and how it was made, it reminded me of Rosemary's Baby, House of the Devil and The Witch.
    I haven't heard so much criticism about a movie while leaving the theater since... The Witch maybe? People in my theater really trashed this one on the way out.

21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Man, I’m really sad to hear so many people aren’t into it, but I guess it’s understandable since it’s less mainstream than the promo and hype are making it out to be. I noticed that a lot of people left the theater quickly at mine but I didn’t really hear any negative comments. Honestly I was too busy laughing (honestly) to notice what else was going on.

Also I realized Don’t Look Now is another film I see a ton of connection to, both in plot and tone and feeling once it’s over.

thedrudo likes this.
  22. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Never seen that. Will have to watch that ASAP.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s definitely way more on the camp side and kind of polarizing (especially the ending) but it’s a classic for sure and there are a few scenes in particular that this make me think of.

24. Night Channels

Trusted

His crying was very childlike at times, which kinda took me a little bit out of the film, but I still thought he was fantastic in this. I think he has a bright future.

The scene near the end in the classroom was outstanding, whether you liked his performance or not, I don't think anyone can downplay how good he was during that scene.

incognitojones likes this.
  25. Night Channels

Trusted

One of the most unsettling scenes for me:

The man that was smiling at Charlie during her grandmother's funeral was the same person standing naked in Peter's doorway...with the same shit-eating grin on his face.

I really want to see this again just to see what else I can pick up on.