Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hereditary (Ari Aster, June 8, 2018) Movie • Page 45

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Kuri44

Just the one version

2. Also Antichrist sucked and
    Thought so, thanks!

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  3. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Honestly the last time a movie genuinely shook me this much was maybe The Shining when I saw it as a kid. Amazing film.

Kuri44 likes this.
  4. zachmacD

Trusted

I bought the exorcist on 4K Blu-ray and I had my first nightmare in years after watching. Maybe it’s because I haven’t really gone through a traumatic loss like in hereditary but it had no real impact on me. Disturbing while watching but nothing residual

5. Lucas27

Trusted

It’s interesting to compare the two. In my mind, they’re the two scariest movies I’ve seen for similar and different reasons. Both have their share of physical and emotional terror for sure, but I’d say The Exorcist is the scariest on a physical level and Hereditary is the scariest on an emotional/spiritual level.

The thing about physical horror is, while it’s more immediate, it doesn’t linger as long for me. There are scenes in The Exorcist (e.g. the crucifix scene) that I physically can’t watch, which I can’t say for many other films, but the memory of those scenes doesn’t keep me up at night.

Meanwhile, there’s nothing quite as repulsive in Hereditary on a visual level for me (plenty of horrific imagery but nothing I can’t personally look at), but the level of despair and trauma mingled with the imagery is more deeply upsetting than anything. Charlie’s head is disturbing, but it’s Annie’s screams over that shot that make it the most traumatic movie scene I’ve ever seen. Or when Annie’s banging her head on the attic door, it’s not just the shot, but Peter crying on the other side of the door for his mom who’s not even there anymore. The whole situation in The Exorcist is deeply distressing too, moreso in ways, but at least it ends redemptively.

I think personal experience also weighs into how affected you are by either movie. The Exorcist is just flat-out scary no matter who you are, but Hereditary hits harder when you’ve dealt with trauma and family dysfunction.

popdisaster00 and zachmacD like this.
  6. Oh wow

7. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

1. this made me realize how outstanding her acting is in that scene
    2. who has this many friends

8. Lucas27

Trusted

“But your sister dead!”

Doomsday likes this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Lmao why is that monologue becoming a meme

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Toni should’ve gotten award noms for that role

11. @@ron

Regular

Man.. I have to watch this one again

12. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Toni not even getting a nom for her role in Hereditary should be all the proof anyone needs that award shows don't mean shit

chewbacca110, DarkHotline and Kuri44 like this.
  13. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Curious if those lights appear anywhere else in. Need to go back and rewatch.

Lucas27 and jkauf like this.
  15. Kuri44

flask likes this.
  16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

17. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Joycean, if you are indeed a real person then I can say that I like you from the brief exchanges we've had, but also what the fuck are you doing?

18. Kuri44

19. airik625 Jun 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2020)
    airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I went back and rewatched it this morning. Afterwards I decided to do a little research and see what all I didn’t pick up on. According to IMDB, the chalk board that Joanie uses as a connection to her grandson shut buys at the craft store the same day she approaches Annie in the parking lot because you can see it wrapped in plastic in a bag in her car. Also one of Peter’s buddies he smokes with under the bleachers is part of the cult and can be seen during the rebirth of Paimon in the tree house.

DarkHotline likes this.
  20. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

There’s all kinds of little clues throughout the movie and I love it

21. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Thinking I might want to ruin my life one of these nights and do an Aster double feature.

22. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

I did finally end up watching this. Definitely gave me tons of anxiety. It was good, but I can't say I enjoyed it.

DarkHotline likes this.
  24. RobTalksInMaths

ChaseTx, mad and OotyPa like this.
  25. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

626FA1B3-2D00-4667-B27A-A09BD92853D8.jpeg