Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hereditary (Ari Aster, June 8, 2018) Movie • Page 44

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Lucas27

Trusted

That would be its competition for me.

zachmacD likes this.
  2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Awww this was sweet to see on my lunch break at work ty

3. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I think in terms of favorite horror movies this sits right beside The Fly, The Conjuring, and The Exorcist for me. The “insect politics” speech is my favorite scene in any horror film but there’s AT LEAST two scenes in this movie that rival that for me

4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I could talk for hours about some of the similar themes in Hereditary and The Exorcist, especially relating to how they both portray mothers/women in general.

Lucas27, CoffeeEyes17 and GrantCloud like this.
  5. Lucas27

Trusted

Revisiting some scenes from this movie...

The dream scene might be the scariest scene in the movie to me. I swear I’ve had nightmares for years where something terrible has happened and people around me are sobbing hysterically just like Peter in this scene and the crying is amplified more and more to an unnatural degree right before I wake up. It’s awful. I didn’t know anyone related to this until I saw this scene and realized Ari Aster had to have experienced this to capture it so perfectly.

Also, as someone who’s been through stuff, I think I’ve settled on “Alex Wolff’s crying is laughable” as my least favorite movie opinion of all-time.

jkauf likes this.
  6. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I feel like this take is so popular because he isn't "movie crying" where it's what we imagine reacting to traumatic events to be like when he/Aster are actually going for him straight up breaking down

jkauf and Lucas27 like this.
  7. soggytime

Trusted

Honestly, yea I can't think of another movie that has scared me on this level as an adult. I had trouble sleeping for days after I saw it in theaters and still haven't brought myself to rewatch it since. I nearly had a panic attack during THAT SCENE and debated walking out. I'm a horror fan and for the most parts don't find movies "scary" but this bothered me on such a deep level.

jkauf and Lucas27 like this.
  8. Lucas27

Trusted

We had a couple major deaths in the family as a kid and I’d always been unaffected by crying scenes because it’s not at all accurate to how traumatic death is. Hereditary (and Midsommar) were the first movies I’ve seen that really capture that emotion. I also lost a buddy to suicide a couple years ago and I can’t count the number of times I’ve broke down the exact same way Peter does in the movie. And I’m 26, not 17.

jkauf likes this.
  9. atlas

Trusted

I keep watching movies that people say are "uncomfortable" and "hard to watch" and end up disappointed bc none of them even scratch the surface of how miserable this movie is

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Have you seen Antichrist?

11. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Antichrist is too much lol

Leftandleaving likes this.
  12. atlas

Trusted

I read the wikipedia summary of Antichrist and decided to not watch it lol

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Coward

14. atlas

Trusted

fair

15. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Saw Antichrist in theaters. Shit was wild.

CHAOS REIGNS

Cameron likes this.
  16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Antichrist isn’t good tho

17. Kuri44

The four movie recommendations I always make are The Witch, Hereditary, Midsommar, and The Lighthouse. Which I always find funny since both of them are from two directors, and each released Have been their two feature films.. but they really are the best writers/directors in (at least) the past 10 years. Their films made an impact me like very few others have. Can’t wait to see what else these two do.

18. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

I feel like I know somewhat what to expect from Eggers next, Aster's next movie seems like it could be anything lol

Kuri44 likes this.
  19. Kuri44 Mar 2, 2020
    (Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2020)
    Kuri44

Oh for sure, especially since aster says he would like to do something that’s not horror, And also, that apparently the studio wanted him to make his second film a slasher set in Sweden and he gave us Midsommar

20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I read the plot for antichrist and I don't think I'd like that at all. seems too shock value based.

21. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I don't like gore or pain-related horror too hard to watch

22. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

fantastic movies

Kuri44 likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

yeah all four of these are some of my favorite movies from the past few years

Kuri44 likes this.
  24. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The Witch is a slow burn to watch but pays off in the end. Still haven’t seen The Lighthouse

zachmacD and airik625 like this.
  25. I finally watched this last week and didn't sleep right for days. I honestly cannot tell you the last time a movie haunted me so much for so long. Truly incredible.

I put it off for the longest time too because someone spoiled the ending for me. After I finally forgot about it, was when I decided to finally watch it. I regret not seeing it earlier, and obviously just as good to watch again (which I may hold off on for a while).

I did see Midsommar before this though and I can't figure out which I liked more. I'm going to watch the director's cut maybe this weekend and see how I feel. That isn't as haunting obviously but I thought overall the movie was great.

Is there a director's cut of this movie, or just the one version?