Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hereditary (Ari Aster, June 8, 2018) Movie • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

this sounds like a recipe for resentment

2. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

She’ll straight up divorce your ass if you make her watch that

3. yung_ting

Trusted

why do you hate your wife

4. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

you seem like a good spouse

5. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I can literally not think of a worse movie to show someone who is easily scared than this

6. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Tbh I'm terrible with horror and scare EXTREMELY easily and I saw this cuz my wife told me how much she loved it and I thought it was phenomenal

Kuri44, Ken, ChaseTx and 3 others like this.
  7. michael_gatto

Trusted

She constantly makes me listen to k-pop and watch Bollywood films... so it only feels fair. (She's never going to watch this, I've come to terms with that)

angrycandy likes this.
  8. thenewmatthewperry

performative angry black man Prestigious

I will not stand for this kpop slander, instead I will lay down and go back to sleep.

9. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Bollywood films are dope

10. Lucas27

Trusted

Going back to sleep is an underrated way of dismissing somebody’s opinion.

michael_gatto and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  11. michael_gatto

Trusted

I didn't say anything bad about k-pop or Bollywood. She got me into those so clearly I can make her watch this and love it?

12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The use of the word “makes” and the way it seemed worded as if this would be payback or something is I think what people were reacting to. Getting people you love into stuff you love is a super fun thing, it just didn’t read like that’s what you were saying.

I also have been slowly getting my very easily scared mother into horror and she thought this was outstanding, so that was a definite win.

michael_gatto and theagentcoma like this.
  13. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

100% this. Nobody should "make" each other do anything in a relationship

14. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Definitely no mountains being made out of molehills in this thread

flask and DrAlanGrant like this.
  15. michael_gatto

Trusted

Sorry I'm terrible at wording things. we've gotten each other into a ton of stuff, horror is just the one thing I can't fully get her to embrace

16. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

People know what you meant! Just maybe different phrasing. I hope you get her to love this movie.

17. drewinseries

Drew

Not sure if this has been posted before but I just had a coworker come over to my office to check on me after hearing me laughing so hard.

Drewski, Lucas27, flask and 5 others like this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

That score is so badass

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

stetson a king

20. CoffeeEyes17 Feb 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2020)
    CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

So I took some time away from social media and the internet in general at the start of the year as a palette cleanser. One of the things I did while away was I finally watched this. Preface this by saying horror/suspense is my favorite genre of movie, I love the whole gamut of horror from genuine horror classics like The Exorcist, the body horror of The Fly remake, the slasher opus that is Candyman, even the goofy sequels and b movies like Jason X or Seed Of Chucky. I love the genre and all it has to offer. I’m going to spoiler tag the rest of this just in case

I adore every single second of this movie. It’s the most upsetting movie I’ve watched maybe ever and honestly it took everything in me to watch it more than once but now I’ve watched it about 5-6 times and one of those times I watched it at half speed just to see any details I may have missed. On my last viewing I just noticed that the illustration of Paimon had three heads attached to his waist, I’m guessing those represent Helen, Charlie, and Annie. This movie does such a good job of planting seeds that blossom much later or after repeat viewings. Even little things, like one of Peters friends with the long hair is a part of the cult and can be seen at the end, and the pamphlet about Seances that comes in the mail, there’s so much to dig into.

there’s also just so many genuinely terrifying or upsetting moments. Of course Charlie’s sudden (albeit planned, I noticed the Paimon symbol on the pole on my like third viewing which was so wild) death. Annie finding Charlie’s body and it’s just the sound while the camera zooms in on Peters face and she lets out this chilling scream. The last 30 minutes is just a wild ride of horrifying moment after horrifying moment.

I think maybe the most crushing moment and maybe my favorite was the dinner scene after Charlie’s death. The subtle build up to the argument and the genuinely realistic take on what these moments are like. When she says “and what a waste!” And I thought “oh she’s gonna say what a waste of a young life, Charlie could do so much more, blah blah” but instead she takes the much more raw, realistic, almost meta route of “maybe this could’ve brought us all closer but YOU cant apologize for what happened” which is such a genuine human reaction. I could go on and on and on but needless to say I absolutely adore this film and I’ve been enamored with it for about a month now. I think about it nearly every day. Just typing this makes me want to watch it again.

21. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Hell yeah, makes me want to watch it again!

jkauf and Kuri44 like this.
  22. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

This is still my favorite Horror movie. Don’t @ me.

Kuri44, trevorshmevor and mad like this.
  23. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

glad you're back. I've always appreciated your well thought out and personal posts.

24. Lucas27

Trusted

I know fear is subjective, but I really think a strong case could be made for Hereditary being the scariest movie ever made. The horror hits on such a real, primal level and somehow gets darker and darker until it leaves you where it actually can't get any worse. There have obviously been far more messed up films on a shock level, but the level of real darkness here feels totally new and subversive. I honestly don’t know what someone would have to do to beat it.

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s up there for me but nothing will beat The Exorcist in my mind.

zachmacD and Lucas27 like this.