Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hereditary (Ari Aster, June 8, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jan 30, 2018.

1. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

just don't tap the ad to get the sound!

2. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

but honestly i still have no idea where this movie is going

3. Hype as all hell but I’m gonna wait til Saturday or Sunday to see it. I’ve learned that I tend to enjoy movies like this a little more once I’ve seen some light, general reactions. Like, if I’d have gone into something like The Babadook knowing it was going to be significantly less straightforward than advertisements made it out to be, I may have enjoyed it more upon first viewing.

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’M NERVOUS.

Still hoping we’re talking like Eraserhead disturbing and not Martyrs disturbing. I can handle horrific plot points and bizarre imagery all day, but there are levels of violence I can’t deal with.

6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Have you seen the full trailer? There appears to be a scene with a pair of scissors and a bird. Would that be too much?

7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, that part of the trailer worried me more than anything else. Honestly animal death/torture is one of the things that I am the worst at handling, but I’ve been able to do better about it in recent years. Liking horror and hating that has always been a very bad combo. If I can convince someone else to go with me who isn’t bothered as much by that I would feel a lot more comfortable for sure.

8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Also totally unrelated to the film itself, but everything about a model house and creepy people just keeps reminding me of The Dollhouse Murders and how awesome that book was as a kid.

9. chewbacca110

That scene in the trailer is the #1 reason my girlfriend gave Hereditary a big old "NOPE". She cannot watch even the most mild form of that in entertainment and she was shocked they put that in the trailer.

10. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve read that there’s a lot of stuff they don’t want to put in the trailer because it’s so awful so I kind of figured that was a way to hint at whatever that is without giving anything real away. I saw the trailer before A Quiet Place and everybody seemed really uncomfortable.

11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

There's some disturbing stuff in here, but nothing I would say is going to traumatize you for very long after the movie. That said, it gives you a lot to chew on.

trevorshmevor and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Thank you! The depth of it is what really excites me. Close-knit family dramas about gried and loss are some of my favorite films in general, so hearing that it has a ton going on behind being scary is so cool. One review called it the “death-metal version of Cries and Whispers” and that’s probably the most personally exciting description I’ve ever seen.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Lucas27

Trusted

And mind you, I just read the story. Sometimes things are worse on paper because your imagination runs wild with every detail and you don't have the added benefit of being wowed by the filmmaking. I got all the dark details without the cinematography or Toni Collete's performance to blow me away. Like, there are some moments that are disturbing on paper, but the way those moments are shot might be so artful that I'd be as impressed as I am disturbed. I felt that way about The Babadook. There were legitimately frightening moments, but I was so taken with how beautiful it was that the scares weren't my biggest takeaway.

RuckerPark and EASheartsVinyl like this.
  14. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Anyone that’s seen it want to pm me what the “scene” is?

15. Dog with a Blog

I will be watching this tomorrow

16. Dog with a Blog

Damn

17. Dog with a Blog

All I gotta say is avoid any spoilers cause this movie is not what you think it is and I mean that in a great way

mad, Zilla and trevorshmevor like this.
  18. Dog with a Blog

Was it the mother cutting off her head or the naked guy standing in the corner of Peter’s bedroom cause the latter terrified me

19. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Hope this does well at the box office, can't wait to see it myself.

20. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

i have convinced my gf to see this with me and she scares very very easily and the more i read the more i fear i'm making a huge mistake and kinda wanna be like "hey just so you know" and give her an out

angrycandy likes this.
  21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

If she scares easy, this is not a good movie to take her to. It’s not really jump scares, but stuff that gets under your skin.

RuckerPark and Shrek like this.
  22. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

the out has been given and rejected so we will see how it goes. i am very excited. fallen off of horror movies hard lately, the last three i've caught in theaters were Quiet Place, fuckin Jigsaw, and then before that maybe as far back as The Witch.

23. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

oh boy. this is gonna be interesting

Shrek likes this.
  24. chewbacca110

This is sitting at a nice 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. It makes me so happy when horror gets recognized.

Not going to see this until next week sometime, but I cannot friggin' wait. This has been on my radar for months.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  25. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Since you’ve seen it, can you confirm if there are any other scenes with animals besides what was already discussed from the trailer?