Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Here Are Hundreds More Artists Whose Tapes Were Destroyed in the UMG Fire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The New York Times:

Today, The Times is offering a broader look at that heritage, publishing an expanded list of artists who were thought by UMG officials to have lost master recordings in the fire. The list adds 700-plus names to the more than 100 artists cited in “The Day the Music Burned.”

Some notables: Blink-182, Weezer, Jawbreaker, and Jimmy Eat World.

2. paythetab

Chorus.FM Album Reviewer (Adam Grundy) Supporter

Not Jimmy! :tear:

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Looking through that list I am very curious to know what the damages are, and how the insurance co.s come up with their valuations.

Raku likes this.
  4. thecobrakais

Regular

don't they know you're supposed to back up your back ups???

Raku likes this.
  5. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

It’s more about the original multi-track masters.

They are the only tapes that would contain all the original information. Back ups, while they can be good, will not contain everything.

6. bradsonemanband Jun 26, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 26, 2019)
    Such a bummer. So many classic albums lost, I'm sure. I wonder which specific albums by Jimmy Eat World and Blink are lost.

I googled "Jimmy eat world UMG" and only Invented popped up as being on that label, so I was like "At least it was only one album lost!"

But when I googled "Blink 182 UMG" I got nothing, until I started digging a little more and found out that Universal Music Group is the parent company for Geffen and Interscope, among many others. And what's even worse is MCA turned into UMG. Sooo it's very possible (and probable) that just about everything Blink released is now toast since they were on MCA from Dude Ranch to TOYPAJ, and then on Geffen for Untitled. I assume all of that stuff was housed in the UMG vaults.

Raku and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  7. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Bleed American was released on DreamWorks, which was sold to UMG. Futures and Chase This Light both released on Geffen prior to the fire. Good chance those are gone.

8. MightyBrian

This is where I am suppose to write something cool Prestigious

Geffen?? so would that mean everything that drive-thru records owned also since they were the company that bought out MCA

9. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Capitol is owned by UMG, so Clarity is probably also lost.

10. ManchesterOrch8

With as many labels they’ve absorbed, literally almost half of all recorded music was destroyed.

jorbjorb likes this.
  11. Greg1

Chris mentioned in an interview yesterday that Dashboards were gone too.

jorbjorb likes this.
  12. schackbr

Regular

just came in to post this. haha i was watching the live paste video i believe.

jorbjorb likes this.
  13. snaps

Regular Supporter

So does this mean they just can’t remaster the old tracks?

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. ManchesterOrch8 Jun 28, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 28, 2019)
    ManchesterOrch8

No one can ‘properly’ remaster these records ever again.

The original multitrack masters are the only tapes that can be properly sourced. When someone sources from any back ups or copies you’re losing fidelity.

Basically, whatever we have pre 2008 fire, in terms of remastering/remixing, is what we have.

jorbjorb likes this.