Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Her Smell (Alex Ross Perry, 2018)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by username, Aug 30, 2018.

1. username

hey you lil piss baby

[​IMG]

2. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I think I liked Listen Up Philip, it's been a while. Subbin'

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Oh my god wow this is my most anticipated film of the year

SpyKi likes this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Queen of Earth was my #1 of that year. Here for this.

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

I don’t think he’s made a bad film yet (I haven’t seen Impolex), but Queen of Earth is probably my favorite now. This one sounds incredible though, I’m so excited to see it.

OhTheWater likes this.
  6. mad

I was right. Prestigious

this sounds great

7. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

I still have to watch The Color Wheel but I love his last three, very curious about this as it sounds like it's gonna be a departure tonally

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

mad likes this.
  9. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Damn. I'm in

10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

nice

11. username

hey you lil piss baby

Loved this! It’s closest to Queen of Earth when looking at his work (it’s a deeply psychological film like that, in contrast to his more literary films). I think it’s easily ARP’s most ambitious film, especially structurally. The first three acts are complete chaos. Songs are pretty good, especially the Akergirls one (which was written by Anika Pyle!)

OhTheWater likes this.
  12. mad

I was right. Prestigious

@Swae Lee I'm jealous of all the movies you've been seeing lol

Swae Lee and SpyKi like this.
  13. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

On the most recent episode of Blank Check, ARP said his approach to this movie was inspired by Paul Verhoeven and I am ALL IN for that

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

One of the few reasons I tolerate this overstuffed city is because of TIFF.

jjnunn118, JRGComedy and mad like this.
  15. username

hey you lil piss baby

I’m lowkey freaking out to myself that ARP worked with Anika Pyle. Chumped was literally one of the best bands every. I need to know the story of how they linked up.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

17. Caught this at IFC on Saturday. It was pretty good. Loved it at times, but every scene felt too long to me, a looooot of the dialogue wasn't great. Elisabeth Moss was fantastic for what she was working with, but the screenplay could have used some work.

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

hope this opens here soon

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Excited to see it for Elisabeth Moss. But the 2 hr 15 min. running time does give me pause.

20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

v excited for this

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

so um he directed the new Aly & AJ video

22. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Fuck, this was really great.

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

This was so unexpectedly relentless, too, from the performances to the sound design to the camera work.

24. Morrissey

Trusted

It ends really strong, but the film gets caught in a situation where it has to stretch scenes for way too long to fit into the structure of the film, which is set in five distinct moments with home video interludes. It also doesn't help that there is no one to really care about during the first half of the movie or so; the bandmates and managers are frustrated, but all we know about them is that they are people around her, and since we only know her as crazed and drugged there isn't much to empathize with.

It might have been much more powerful if it had been told out of sequence. Parts of the fourth scene would have been good to fill us in between her larger episodes of antics.

ECV likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was good