Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hell or High Water (David Mackenzie; August 12th, 2016) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Jul 19, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I like to think nothing happens. As in, neither character seeks out any more trouble.

2. Davjs

Trusted

I dunno, their last words were "Would you like to come by my place and continue this conversation?" "Yes I would like that very much". I don't think Jeff Bridge's character will ever drop it.

EngineDown likes this.
  3. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I'm sure he would like to, but just don't think he would. I really think he just wanted answers as to why his partner was killed.

Davjs likes this.
  4. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah, I can see that. I'm not going to lie though, I thought I was going to get a Departed style ending where you think Pine got away with it and bam, here comes Bridges wearing plastic all over and a pistol.

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

David Mackenzie deserves way, way more awards attention for this film than he is getting. For a first feature, this was exceptionally great. And he had a tall order right off the bat. Not only did he have to do justice to, just, an impeccable screenplay by Taylor Sheridan, he also had the considerable task of directing the cinematic titan that is Jeff Bridges in his rookie outing. He also coaxed a career-best performance out of Chris Pine, and exceptional work from Ben Foster as well. This was such a surprise hit. Glad to see it popping up on so many EOTY lists.

Davjs likes this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

???? This is his 9th feature.

I'm shocked this film has gotten the attention it has. It's so run of the mill, Mackenzie's direction is tight but he's got no original style here. Started Up was his much better film and should have been the one to get this attention.

7. Anthony_

Is it his first American feature? I thought I read that somewhere. I haven't seen anything of his until now.

8. Davjs

Trusted

It's a really good movie, and I know that these smaller/simpler films usually get the most praise during award season but out of all I've seen, this wouldn't be on the top of my list. Civil War, Midnight Special, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Jungle Book, Kubo, Nice Guys, The Magnificent 7, Hacksaw Ridge, and yes Kung Fu Panda 3 I thought were all better. And I haven't even seen Rouge One or La La Land yet!

9. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Watched last night, loved it. Really straightforward but really well done all around.

10. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

best film about lovable racists in a long time.

Seriously though how good is Jeff Bridges my god

11. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

eh I wouldn't call them racists. The cops had a fun back-and-forth thing that was seemingly harmless. I've had those kinds of conversations with co-workers where you play around with each other's cultural stereotypes. Foster's run-in with the dude at the poker table? Maybe, a little. I felt like they had a mutual respect moment there at the end.

12. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

sure there was definitely a mutual respect towards the end, but in my opinion there's a big difference between "playing around with each other's cultural stereotypes" and clearly crossing some racial lines, especially when it comes from a white man in the case of Bridges. Sure he has a bond with Alberto, but if someone were saying those things to me (I'm not white) repeatedly I don't think I would think it was just playing around. And Alberto is clearly offended by it as well. But anyways I think that was clearly intentional, and part of the movie, and like I said I really liked it.

13. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Jeff Bridges' racial ribbing in 'Hell or High Water' is the year's most subtle scene

Nathan likes this.
  14. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah I guess the distinction is that Alberto doesn't really want to participate in it, but because it's his superior, he trades barbs with Bridges. He's never the instigator of those back-and-forth exchanges.

15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

There's also a fundamental difference in racial dynamics between a Native American/Mexican man poking fun at whiteness, versus a white man just making intolerant and ignorant stereotypes towards a minority based on stereotypes. Sure Bridges' intentions are complicated and not really malicious, but I would still say just on the words alone they're inherently racist.

Nathan likes this.
  16. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

I don't subscribe to the "only whites can be racist" viewpoint. I think words themselves indicate the level of insensitivity, but it's the intent that determines whether it's racist. I don't see Bridges intent as being malicious.

Davjs likes this.
  17. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I dunno but assuming that every native american dances around a drum as part of their religion or saying "I'll get to that half later" in regards to Alberto being half-Mexican seems pretty inherently racist to me but seems like I'm running in circles and if you just don't think that's racist I don't know what to say other than I've repeatedly faced similar comments as Alberto and I felt like they were racist and was deeply disturbed and hurt but whatever. Peace.

18. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

Just countering with my opinions that there can be a distinction between racial insensitivity and racism. The person on the receiving end can feel hurt either way, I was not claiming otherwise.

19. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

What should we make of Hell or High Water’s ‘affectionate racism’?

The opinions Bridges' character espouses are clearly racist. Racism isn't just people with sheets over their heads saying they want to lynch all black and brown people. Racism is multifaceted, more complicated than outright "I hate all non-whites." It doesn't matter Bridges' characters intent with those statements, they clearly espouse racist, prejudiced and intolerant views. I think Sheridan and Mackenzie try to use Bridges' character to demonstrate a realism on the part of many people from those areas in America (and let's be honest, all around the country) wherein he doesn't think he's a bigot or mean anything malicious by his statements. But the fact of the matter is, the things he says, as a white man with little knowledge or intimate understanding of the native American/Mexican experience, are clearly based upon a socially ingrained fundamental knowledge he has of other cultures that is bred from years of intolerance and racism. It does not matter that the intent might not be malicious (I would argue that is up for debate depending on how you define malicious). Bridges' character very obviously has certain views and opinions about Alberto that he derives from his (racist) understanding of Alberto's race, which he expresses multiple times in the film.

No, I'm not saying Bridges' character is Fassbender in 12 years of slave or something, but to say that his remarks are not racist or coming from a racist understanding just seems wholly ignorant to racism as a whole.

20. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

His remarks, in my opinion, are racially insensitive. I don't see enough in the dialogue or his actions to say he is a racist, that he views other races as inferior and/or harbors hatred toward them. I care about intent, and if that doesn't matter to you when determining who/what is racist, that's fine.

21. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Finally got around to this; quite enjoyed it, especially how it really tries to show us small town/rural Texas life. Soundtrack is fantastic

22. Anthony_

This movie ruled

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

holds up better than i expected

imthesheriff and Ferrari333SP like this.
  24. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I think this song vibes well with the film

25. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Yeah this is great to rewatch. One of my favorites of the last 5 or so years.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.