Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Hell or High Water (David Mackenzie; August 12th, 2016) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Jul 19, 2016.

1. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

A story about the collision of the Old and New West, two brothers—Toby (Chris Pine), a straight-living, divorced father trying to make a better life for his son; and Tanner (Ben Foster), a short-tempered ex-con with a loose trigger finger—come together to rob branch after branch of the bank that is foreclosing on their family land. The hold-ups are part of a last-ditch scheme to take back a future that powerful forces beyond their control have stolen from under their feet. Vengeance seems to be theirs until they find themselves in the crosshairs of a relentless, foul-mouthed Texas Ranger (Jeff Bridges) looking for one last triumph on the eve of his retirement. As the brothers plot a final bank heist to complete their plan, a showdown looms at the crossroads where the last honest law man and a pair of brothers with nothing to live for except family collide.

2. Looks great, like really great. I'm excited.

3. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

My friend and I have been talking about this one. Looks good.

4. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Crazy seeing Ben Foster look the way he does in this, and then imagining what he looked like in The Punisher. Anyhow, I think this looks good. I've always like Chris Pine.

5. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

yeah this looks decent enough

6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Started Up was fascinating. Curious to see if he can replicate the effect.

7. So reviews are really good. Anyone seeing this?

8. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I really want to see this. Foster and Bridges, yea yea

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Maybe I'll catch this tomorrow morning.

10. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Really, really enjoyed this.

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This was stellar.

12. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Might be my favorite movie of the year so far.

13. airik625

Want to see this so bad.

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This was a solid film. Great acting all-around. Though I did kind of predict Alberto's death since they sort have foreshadowed it but when it happened it caught me by surprise

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

this was good, pleasant surprise that Cave and Ellis scored it

16. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I enjoyed this. I've become a really big Chris Pine fan, and this is maybe his best performance I've seen. The structure of the bank robbery scenes was all impeccable. It took the time to set up the geography of each robbery, and also injected layers of pathos in each sequence with personal, small introductions for the bank employees and patrons each time, until their plans change and they have to hit the big bank at the end, where it just thrusts them into a situation where they're in over their heads, that scene doesn't do any of the previous quiet, paced setup and it ratchets up the tension to be thrust into that overwhelming setting with them. Overall very solid, I enjoyed it a lot.

imthesheriff likes this.
  17. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Jeff Bridges is so great. Chris Pine really shined too.

jkauf likes this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Also really enjoyed it. Fantastic score. Couldn't help but feel Jeff Bridges was a little over the top "old southern cop." Felt like a parody

imthesheriff likes this.
  19. Mélange

Regular

This didn't disappoint at all. Fantastic film!

20. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This was quite good. Reminded me a bit of "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead." And no one plays crazy better than Foster.

Davjs likes this.
  21. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Yeah I loved this

Aregala likes this.
  22. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Finally saw this and it absolutely lived up to the hype. May be my favorite film of the year.

23. airik625

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't think I liked it near as much as everyone else seems to have, but it was solid. Ben Foster's has quite a diverse range of acting. The different movies he has been in, hardly one character has ever been the same it seems.

24. a nice person

Trusted Prestigious

One of my favorite movies this year. Foster was outstanding, Pine very good as well. Two great screenplays from Taylor Sheridan right off the bat. Quickly becoming my favorite writer in Hollywood.

Anthony_D'Elia and EngineDown like this.
  25. Davjs

Trusted

I echo all the love this has gotten. That ending though..... I need to know what happens!