Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 98

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I love how I feel after a morning workout but I crash so early on days that I do it. My favorite part of working out in the morning is I find it much easier to get into a routine. It's so much easier to bail on the gym after a long day at work or if plans pop up in the evening.

oldjersey likes this.
  2. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah I have to do it in the morning because I know that's the only way I will be consistent. There are days after work where I can even fathom doing any kind of activity.

So far when I crash it's at like 9:30 at night but i'm also not completely killing myself at the gym yet. 30 mins of cardio and like 25 mins of lifting, i'm just going to see what it organically evolves to.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Been pretty demoralized the past week or so.

About 3 months ago while running, I felt a POP in my right calf, im sure some of you know that feeling. Something in my calf strained and it felt terrible. So I stopped running for a while. A few weeks later I reaggravated it just from walking, which really irked me.

About a month ago, I was walking and the same thing happened to my LEFT calf, and now it happened again this week. I'm gonna go see a doctor hopefully Friday as I just got new health insurance so it's not an issue. Has anyone had experience with this? I guess my calves just aren't used to my heavier weight? It's really bothering me for the main fact that it was my right calf and now it's my left one. I did go about 18 months without much exercise but I have been exercising pretty regularly the past few months. Not sure if anyone can help but maybe someone could help identify what it may be.

It sucks because I'm afraid to even walk a certain way right now, and when it felt okay I would try to go on the treadmill and I was so in my head I was afraid of every step I took while jogging.

4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Are you doing enough stretching before and after? Although, I think you are doing the right thing seeing a doctor and maybe a referral to an orthopedist or physical therapist.

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I stretched a good amount the past few weeks, I hadn't beforehand a few months ago but I would warm up plenty which I know now doesnt replace stretching

6. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Phew only took about a week and a half off from lifting cause I was sick and the workouts are kicking my ass. Crazy how its not that significant amount of time but damn. Sore all over.

jorbjorb likes this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Your body definitely has a way of making you pay for not working out on a daily basis. Even if it’s mild.

8. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

So I don’t know what happened but about a month ago I seem to have lost my strength and stamina. Like I can’t lift as much as I was just the week prior to that. And I get tired more easily doing cardio that I was having no issue with prior. I don’t know what changed, didn’t take any time off or anything. Just from one day to the next it was like I couldn’t do it anymore. I still go every day but I’m struggling with the workouts

9. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

1) I would take some time off, say a week, to let your body recover a bit. There is such a thing as overworking yourself and not taking a break can lead to what you are describing.

2) did your diet change recently?

10. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

As far as diet goes, no not really. But I never ate well to begin with. My diet has always been trash. I see what you’re saying about a break. I’m just scared it will get even worse with a break

11. LightWithoutHeat

I don't think it will. Rest and recovery is just as important as the activity. Up your protein intake in general and eat some carbs before working out. If a week long break won't work for you, do your workouts at 50% for a week, and consider putting a day or two break in-between.

This sort of thing happens to everyone, so don't stress too much over it.

12. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Thanks

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  13. LightWithoutHeat

14. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I did an intro rock climbing class at an indoor rock gym yesterday. I did Top Rope & next week I’m gonna try the intro Bouldering class. No idea if I’ll like it or stick with it. Anyone have any experience with either as a form of work out?

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  15. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Seems like it'd be a great full body workout as long as you're actually climbing the majority of the time and pushing yourself.

GrantCloud likes this.
  16. EarthShifts

Trusted

I got slightly into climbing for a bit. My wife bought me a 10 climb pass, so I'd go once a week and do the auto-belay. It is definitely a workout and utilizes a lot of muscles. It's easy to burn out quick if you don't use proper form.

Unfortunately I fractured my hand and foot in a separate activity and then the gym I used closed. I went again last year to a new spot, but found that I was now very afraid of heights. Haha. I still think about trying again, and I'm wondering if bouldering is a better option since it's not as high.

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

My new apartment building has a basic hotel type gym. Very excited to be running and lifting weights on my off days from martial arts stuff.

Kiana likes this.
  18. RyanRyan

I’m gonna try get in good shape. I’m really, really scrawny. I would like to wear a t-shirt without looking like a stick insect and feeling ashamed. I spend like every summer in huge jumpers in the heat and I’m sick of it.

Had some great advice from @GrantCloud and I’m optimistic about all this. Idk where this is going but yes. Yay.

19. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Two days away from closing all these rings
    E8271AE0-26FB-4E90-95B8-788C62DDF6B1.jpeg

JBoch and dylan like this.
  20. RyanRyan

Dirty Sanchez and GrantCloud like this.
  21. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

red is calories burned, Green is minutes worked out, and blue is minutes standing

RyanRyan and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  22. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Breakdown of yesterday

0A409D66-D7FF-4696-B5C3-6BE2D9462DC5.jpeg

RyanRyan likes this.
  23. RyanRyan

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  25. RyanRyan

Got up today and did some exercises until I physically couldn’t anymore. That’s exciting for a twig like me to even get up and have the motivation. Hope I can do this every morning