Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 97

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Nike Training Club has a decent split between paid and free workouts. Their collections put together a bunch of workouts for you that you can split up in the week. They might be a little calisthenic heavy though, but worth checking out.

GrantCloud likes this.
  2. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I have the same issue. My office always has some type of chips or cookies or something delicious/unhealthy to chow on and it's so difficult to resist. My go-to healthy snacks are almonds/peanuts because they are a great energy snack, but I also really like Good Thins "The Chickpea One" with hummus for that savory crunch. Just need to try not to eat the entire box in one sitting lol.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  3. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I will try all of the above other than pistachios as I am allergic haha.

Those Good Thins sound delicious

Mr. Serotonin and JBoch like this.
  4. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

L M A O even my idea was better than yours, Grant. You fool!

GrantCloud likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think I'm old and have a screwed up knee now. A few weeks ago I thought maybe I'd hit my knee on something without realizing it cause it hurt and I was limping around for two days but then was fine. Today I went to the gym and now that same knee is uncomfortable. Hmmmmm.

Also hadn't been to the gym in forever and without even thinking I tried to workout on the same level I was at before I stopped going and hahahahahaha that lasted five seconds

6. JBoch Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2020)
    JBoch

Trusted Supporter

It could be tendinitis. I've dealt with it for the past few years and mine flares up every time I don't stretch/foam roll well enough after a workout. My PT said it's mostly due to my IT band issues so focusing on that has helped. Try doing stretches for your knees, hips, and IT band to see if that works for you.

Kiana likes this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I have tendinitis in both my knees (and left ankle). Best thing is rest, Motrin and icing, lots of ice.

My right knee used to get so bad, that I'd wake up in the middle of the night and my knee would be burning (very painful). Luckily, a lot of the pain has gone away over the past year or so, but I ice my knees a very good amount when it flares up.

There are also quite a bit of easy, quick knee exercises that a PT gave me to do when they're bothering me - and that I do anytime before I run.

Kiana likes this.
  8. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I had really bad tendinitis in my knee when I was out of the country, like it was so bad I was basically limping around trying to do touristy stuff in London. I really thought it was some kind ligament tear or IT band syndrome or something but the doc said it was just really bad tendinitis. The best thing for tendinitis is definitely rest and stretching, but honestly if you only felt discomfort in the gym and not actual pain I wouldn't worry about it too much

9. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I also massage my knee with IcyHot if I feel it starting to flare up. Target the patellar tendon above/below the knee cap, go both across the grain and with the tendon.

10. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

My right knee pops every step on the elliptical is that good

11. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

fuck, i have this in my left knee. it's not super painful, but it's definitely a throbbing feeling that wakes up some times. i don't feel it so much during runs, but immediately after. guess i should research some stuff. i have lots of running i want to do the next 40 years and i'd prefer it not get worse or just feel this way on a regular basis.

any interest in sending me a list of the PT exercises you have good buddy best friend :)

12. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I have the knee burning issue too. The worst is when it freezes up and I need to literally roll out of bed and stretch for 10 minutes just to use it. The biggest thing I've learned is that it's important to listen to what your body is telling you and take the time to stretch/ice. I highly recommend PT (if your health insurance covers it) to anyone dealing with tendinitis. It might not be specifically your knee that's the cause of the problem. Maybe it's running form, core issues, IT band trouble... It's all connected.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  13. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, the funny thing about my knee tendinitis was it didn't hurt much when I was very active. Like, I play full-court 5 on 5 basketball 3x a week and while I was physically playing, it wouldn't bother me much...but immediately after and throughout the rest of the day/night, it would be throbbing.

Ice is the biggest key for me. When I was in real bad pain, I'd ice 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off at least 4-5 times a day. Knees are a tough place to ice, so I bought a CVS Reusable Cold Pack which I absolutely 100% recommend because it can mold around your entire knee and these things stay ICE cold. Much different than the frozen gel pebbles that you can get elsewhere (those never stay that cold).

[​IMG]

For exercises, I had both a doctor and a PT tell me that the best knee exercises are actually hip and quad exercises, because the stronger your hips and quads are, the less pressure on your knees.

I'm bad at explaining but I'll try my best:

1) Walk in a straight line and grab your knee with both hands and pull it up high to your chest (10x each knee)
    2) Walk in a straight line and take your left hand, grab your left ankle (pulling back), lean forward and use your right hand to touch down (low as you can go) (10x each leg)
    3) Lay on your back with your knees pointing up and feet close to your butt and then lift your butt and back 10x
    4) Lay on your back with your right foot close to your butt (knee pointing up) and lay your left leg straight out and lift 45 degrees (straight) (10 x)
    5) Lay on your stomach - both legs straight out and just lift your left leg up (straight) slightly (10x)
    6) Lay on your stomach with your left knee up 90 degrees and lift your knee (10x)
    7) Lay on your right side (hip) with both legs straight out and lift your left leg upward (10x)
    8) Find a step or a ledge and stand on it with your left leg, while your right leg hangs off and slowly bend your left knee down while keeping your right leg straight (10x)
    9) Standing on the same step with your left leg, while your right leg hangs off, with both legs straight, drop and bring back up your right hip (10x)

When you're doing them, it doesn't seem like much, but after a week or so doing that a lot, my pain truly started to go away. Felt like I was battling knee tendinitis for years and for the past year or so, I've felt 100X better. I maybe only ice now a few times a month now despite maintaining the same physical activity - but I do those stretches often still.

14. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

marsupial jones likes this.
  15. marsupial jones

awesome thanks! will definitely invest in the CVS ice pack and will start incorporating these exercises into my warm-up routine / doing them when i first wake up.

ncarrab likes this.
  16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Be sure to place something between the CVS ice pack and your skin. Typically when I use ice in a bag, I don't place anything between my skin and the ice, but this shit will legitimately mess up your skin if you don't. I normally use just a small sheet of toilet paper between my skin so I still maximize the cold, but it's not directly touching my skin. I think it comes with a sleeve, but to me, it takes away too much of the cold.

17. can one of you invent a weight loss routine that involves me not exercising and also eating whatever and drinking beer? thanks

GrantCloud likes this.
  18. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

have you tried intermittent fasting? closest you’ll get but it’ll plateau quickly

ncarrab likes this.
  19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

just up the alcohol intake but don’t eat anything whatsoever

spiffa0 likes this.
  20. This makes sense

GrantCloud likes this.
  21. marsupial jones

I’ve had some very, very skinny friends and gf’s do this. Can confirm it works. Seems to also lower your intelligence though so you win some lose some.

RJ Knorr and GrantCloud like this.
  22. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I’ll settle for a diet where I can exercise every day but still eat whatever I want.

GrantCloud and Mrplum5089 like this.
  23. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I ate so terribly over the past month. Ready for a fresh start and it’s crazy how much better my workouts are now that I have a buddy to go with

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

The second half of 2019 was really bad in terms of my workouts. Was worn out on my regimen, lacked motivation, just couldn't bring myself to go out and get it like I had been the past few years.

Decided to give the Peloton in my apartment gym a whirl to start 2020 and I am in love. The on-demand classes are great, and mixing the strength training with short rides has been giving me some amazing combined workouts and all-around structure. UI and integration between device and apps is truly top of the line. I understand why it has the cult aspect.

Today was my 15th diaversary (15 years since I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes), which is a day of the year I usually go hard for. Decided to do Jess King's 45 Minute MusicFest Ride from 8/3/2019 because it was Warped Tour themed.

1) This ride is tough. The community has the difficult on it at 8.9/10.
    2) The music is fucking awesome.

If you're on Peloton and this forum, you will love this one: My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy (2x), Motion City Soundtrack, Reel Big FIsh (2x), Less Than Jake, Pennywise, NOFX, blink-182...unreal.

[​IMG]

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  25. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Been making it to the gym before work and it has been an incredible way to start my day.

jorbjorb likes this.