Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 91

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Spent the weekend tracking my food and while it's a little tedious, I can see it getting easier once I keep the habits going. Thank god I have a digital food scale already. I am really liking this noom app, I had a 'coach' check in on me today and talk to me through the app for a little while and it ended with her sending me simple recipes because I am struggling with variety right now. I also felt like I was detoxing all weekend which goes to show how powerful unhealthy food can be for your body. I'm not getting too excited because I have a habit of doing it for a few weeks and then dropping off but i've never had something accountable like this app before. I just left it to my own devices usually (my own devices suck).

Once my body feels more normal in a few days I just want to start out waking up before work and walking a few miles. Just something simple to start out, I don't wanna go all out at the gym and then not feel like going the following days. I also see how weighing yourself every morning can be a positive psychologically. I was terrified to first step on it but it really sets my tempo for the day just by stepping on that damn thing and seeing what it says.

Garrett L., GrantCloud and dylan like this.
  2. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

convincing myself to work out while cramping takes a lot of mental power but i always feel soooooo much better when i do exercise on my period. it actually helps a whole lot its just a matter of convincing myself to go.

Kiana likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Some kind of devilry is going on at the gym. It's 2:30 pm on a weekday and crowded af and like everyone is wearing jeans and street clothes????

GrantCloud and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Anyone use coconut oil for cooking veggies or just in general?

awwgereee and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yes it's good

awwgereee and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i use coconut oil for everything cooking. tried it as a moisturizer too, not too shabby. some people even use it for mouth wash but i haven't tried that yet.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

thanks i hate that

GrantCloud and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  8. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I did leg day yesterday and am hobbling around all day omg the paaaaain

9. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Not sure how many calorie counters we have in here, i've been good at hitting my mark for the most part (2300 a day) but ive been getting very hungry later on, I know its because I waste calories on food that doesnt fill me up at all or anywhere near enough. Anyone have some fav low cal snacks that can do a decent job of making you feel more full?

10. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

if you can get a shaker bottle, 12oz skim milk or soy milk + a scoop of protein power ~150kcal
    popcorn (low/no butter and salt) - 100kcal/popped bag
    Pretzels
    carrots/green bell pepers + hummus
    chips and guac

GrantCloud and oldjersey like this.
  11. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Greek yogurt is tight

otherwise what Dylan said about shakes, I usually don’t have time for a full breakfast so I make a shake with two scoops of whey, around 16 OZ of lactoid milk, creatine and a few cups of frozen strawberries/bananas. It’s about 800 or so calories but you can always adjust to whatever calorie intake you want and it usually keeps me full until lunch.

dylan likes this.
  12. marsupial jones

Snack ideas that I enjoy:

- Whole grain Crackers and cheese
    - veggies and avocado or guacamole
    - string cheese and turkey slices
    - apple w/ peanut butter
    - cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios Cinnamon and Oat, or something like that) and almond milk
    - taquitios (surprisingly good for you)
    - Greek yogurt w/ almonds or walnuts
    - banana and PB sandwich (with bread or use rice cakes in place of bread)
    - Cole slaw and spinach or kale
    - turkey bites
    - Clif bar (depending on what you’re aiming for. Most of these are high in calories for a small bar)
    - steamed / salted veggies
    - fig newtons

oldjersey likes this.
  13. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I’m a fan of peanut butter RX bars on the go if I need something quick to hold me over.

14. Lastsliceofpizza

Anyone have trouble on rest days?Squatting is the only thing I enjoy but I need a rest day(s). But I just need to go to the gym everyday. Even when low-bar squatting can kill my back.

15. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

The recovery portion is super important. Alternate muscle groups if you have to but rest is vital.

GrantCloud and Lastsliceofpizza like this.
  16. marsupial jones

I usually have my rest day on Monday after my Sunday long run and even then I still do yoga or 45 minutes of different stretches and / or do all my household adult stuff that day so I’m still moving around.

I know rest is important but I can’t just sit around doing nothing all day (first world problems)

Lastsliceofpizza likes this.
  17. dylan

rest days are good, but making them cross train days are better :devil:

100 flight stairmaster or elliptical or doing some sprints and stretches hell yeah

Lastsliceofpizza likes this.
  18. marsupial jones

Half-marathon (relaxing pace) run today went very well (13.3 miles total). Overall pace was still faster than I’d like for a ‘slow’ day (10:21 a mile) but that’s a pretty good “problem” to have when nothing else came up - no cramps, no injuries, no pain.

I did have random super strong junk food cravings though throughout the run. May have to indulge in one of those later today.

19. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

“Relaxing pace” and half-marathon don’t belong in the same hemisphere

jkauf and GrantCloud like this.
  20. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

So my chest has definitely toned up a bit, I went shopping this weekend and was looking at button ups. Well I can’t fit the mediums like I used to, But had to get some larges. I still fit medium shirts but the buttons are tight. The shirts were also from Levi’s, so I think the main body type of guys who wear mediums are pretty slender geared.

dylan likes this.
  21. Are there any tricks to consistently getting up at 5 am

GrantCloud likes this.
  22. dylan

did a 6.8 mile hike this morning with bear and burned about 1200kcal

iCarly Rae Jepsen and GrantCloud like this.
  23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Just got a pair of ONs, can’t wait to try them out tomorrow.

24. marsupial jones

Idk about tricks per se but I love knowing that I’m up and getting shit done before most of the world (or at least my city) is. Knowing I can get a workout and breakfast in before most have even rolled out of bed is oddly refreshing.

Otherwise you just have to make sure you do it every day consistently, or at least on the same days consistently (like during the work week for example).

That also leads to going to bed at the same time every night so your body adjusts and before you know it you don’t get up going “oh fuck it’s 5 am” it’s just “now I’m up”.

jkauf likes this.
  25. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Just doing it until your daily rhythm adjusts

Lastsliceofpizza and GrantCloud like this.