Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 84

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've been fighting through injuries for years now. Ever since I turned 30, I notice everything.

The biggest one being Morton's Neuroma which never goes away, I just have to manage it. My podiatrist molded me my own type of inserts for my shoes more than a year ago which makes it hardly noticeable. It only bothers me when I run or play sports - so normal walking or every day activity doesn't hurt (at least, not yet).

Other than that, I've had nagging tendinitis in the TOP of my left ankle for almost three years now which causes pain all over the foot and I've had tendinitis in my right knee for about a year and a half too. I ice like crazy though, which helps a ton and I've somewhat learned to listen to my body when it's aching and to not over do it. That was my biggest problem for years, I'd turn a small injury into a big injury just being stubborn and trying to run/play through it.

My routine of going to the gym has become second nature, but it is funny that if I do miss a few days here and there due to injury or rest, it does take a bit of discipline to get back into the routine.

JBoch likes this.
  2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Yessssss!! Good job! Sprints are honestly my fave because i get to challenge myself to see how fast i can run and they take less time to do than a regular run so i getta sit on my lazy ass the rest of the day and still feel accomplished. That's after-run burn hurts so good though.

K0ta likes this.
  3. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Thanks!! I really liked that I could pack such an intense workout in so little time, guess that's why HIIT is so popular lol. I felt good all night and it only took me about 30 minutes or so to do the whole workout. Definitely felt good to be lazy the rest of the night lol.

dylan likes this.
  4. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Fighting through injuries has always been a problem for me too lol. I turned a pretty bad sprained ankle into bad ligament issues and IT band problems because I tried to continue training for a marathon. It's so difficult to take time off because I know that I'm going to struggle to get back into my routine.

Do you do anything besides ice for your knee issues? I've been dealing with patellar tendonitis in my knees for a while now and when it flares up I just want to chop my legs off. It can get bad enough that my knee freezes up when I'm sleeping.

5. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Does anyone have HIIT workout recommendations?

6. ncarrab Apr 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 18, 2019)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Patellar Tendontis is exactly what I have. I saw a doctor for my knee about six months ago because it had been bothering me for 6-8 months at that point. He gave me some stretches to do for my knee which have actually really helped out a lot. Many of the stretches were hip & quad exercises, because the stronger your hips and quads, the less pressure you put on your knees.

So, stretching, icing and popping a shitload of Motrin have helped a lot.

I too used to wake up in the middle of the night and my knee would literally be burning it'd hurt so bad and it would like lock into place and I couldn't move it. I haven't experienced that in months and actually the pain is hardly noticeable anymore compared to how it was all of 2018.

7. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I keep tweaking my lower back lately at the gym and it sucks. Besides that I feel pretty good at the progress I've made lately I just need to run or do any kind of cardio more.

dylan, St. Nate and K0ta like this.
  8. K0ta

Ran 3 miles yesterday!!! I didn't think I could do it honestly, but at the end I decided I was determined and then pushed it the last 2 minutes so I could get under 30 minutes - 29 m 46 seconds! The hills in my neighborhood are killing me but the worse it hurts the stronger I'm getting, at least I hope...

jorbjorb, ChaseTx, GrantCloud and 4 others like this.
  9. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone else have a Peloton? If so, add me! Just had a hell of a ride Wednesday night.

Peloton Digital

10. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

just came to post about Peloton. i got one last week and really enjoy it even though it was way too much fucking money. i'll sure i'll shake my head and scoff about buying something so ridiculous in a few weeks, but living in Wisconsin only gives me about 3 months of outdoor bike riding weather so i called it "necessary".

11. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone go to Blink Fitness? Looking to sign up there. Gym I've been going to isn't very close and Blink has a location next to my office and near my home. Any thoughts?

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Up to date facility and equipment.

Cheap.

Probably will be packed during usual post work hours. May be more packed than most gyms since members can bring a guest as many times as they want.

13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Add me! Doubleohkevin

14. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

nice!! you're practically ready for a marathon

K0ta, GrantCloud and jorbjorb like this.
  15. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

My sister and brother in law are doing a half marathon in two weeks

Must be nice to like running

SlappinCups and Fletchaaa like this.
  16. jorbjorb

7 rings

[​IMG]

17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I do about a mile and a half a day, but anything over three..... nah

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

been doing boxing consistently for the last month 3/4 times a week and on top of being a lot of fun, fuck, is it the best full body workout i've had in a while

St. Nate and jkauf like this.
  19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Finally got my TV setup in my exercise room. Now I can screen cast from my Peloton bike to the TV. Peloton has yoga, strength training, stretching, etc. exercises so I move that over to the TV. You can kind of see the yoga mat in the bottom picture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Does anyone have a favorite guided workout app? I downloaded Keelo yesterday and did the free trial. The first workout kicked my ass.

21. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

signed up for Centr about a month ago and one could say the exercises have gotten your boi Wet

D4EB7DD7-089E-4F3C-969A-52B8B603EB2A.jpeg

dylan likes this.
  22. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

6 weeks into workout out and already seeing some nice results! Main thing I’m focusing on now is my eating habits

GrantCloud, phaynes12 and Kiana like this.
  23. St. Nate

I can "feel" my knee today.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  24. K0ta

Yesterday I decided I would tackle the half mile + hill in my neighborhood for the first time. I hated at first that my neighborhood was so hilly but have come to really appreciate it because it's helping me become a better runner that much faster; it IS shredding my body however. Yesterday definitely pushed my limits but even with all those hills I ran 3 miles in ~28:45 so I can only see it getting better.

Definitely feeling it today though :verysad:

JBoch likes this.
  25. St. Nate

looks like I gotta rehab my left knee now.