Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 83

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I need to join a gym again only because I’m way better about running on treadmills tbh. I’m not great at setting a pace and sticking to it so I can wear out quickly running outside. Also it’s way easier for me to let myself take walking breaks outside bc I can see like how far my next turn is and I’m like damn I’ve got a long ass way to go let me take a break.

Also stopping on a treadmill is a whole ordeal. Gotta be able to press the button ten times or rip the stop cord out like a chump or do the little hop and spread to land each foot on the sides. Way easier for me to just set the speed and run without thinking about it.

2. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Hell yeah! Hal Higdon's programs are v good. this is an 8 week intermediate 5k training program:

upload_2019-4-17_11-30-38.png

K0ta and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I don't run much anymore, but I'll second Hal Higdon, that dude's marathon plan was my bible turning my training a few years back.

K0ta and dylan like this.
  4. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Whenever you see someone running down the street they never look happy to be doing it lol. Running isn't my favorite thing to do, but I do love trail/woods running. I find it mentally challenging and hills can be a nice added challenge.

K0ta likes this.
  5. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Thank you!!! I'm gonna try this.

I love running, there's something about how hard it is that draws me to it. I put music on and kind of melt into it, it's a transcendent type of thing for me, I want to get to a point where I'm just floating almost. It really helps my mental health personally but I can understand why people might think that's crazy lol.

awwgereee, JBoch, dylan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Yeah I am the same way. If I run just randomly outside I don't rly hold myself accountable, vs the treadmill I better keep track and set little goals like I'll stop running after the song is over or when I get a certain amount of minutes or calories. If I just run on my own with no treadmill I suck. Maybe if I lived in like a pretty to run area buuuut I dont

7. dylan

you're welcome! Let us know how it goes!

yeah, i fucking hated running before i actually started doing it. I could barely run .5 miles in 10 minutes it was baaaad but eventually i worked up to running several 5 and 10ks and getting finishers medals in quite a few so you'll get there and start leaving people in the dust eventually!

i get that! running is my destress time after work. I get to put on a new album or playlist and put in my headphones and not have to talk or listen to anyone, i just get to look around and listen to my body and let my mind turn off for a bit.

K0ta likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Running outside a treadmill setting feels awkward

ChaseTx and K0ta like this.
  9. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I have no idea how anyone runs on a treadmill. Literally running in place bores me to death.

K0ta likes this.
  10. dylan

a treadmill minute is 10x longer than a regular minute and that's science

11. K0ta

Treadmill running is awkward for me and incredibly boring at that. Part of what draws me to running is fresh air and being outside and being stuck inside on a treadmill bores me, not to mention I always have to look down at my feet cause I'm afraid to step wrong or something and when I get off the treadmill I always feel weird!

dylan likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I watch TV which is my reward for working out

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I love running on a treadmill, but I'm aware that's not popular.

Trails>treadmill>>>>>>>running on city streets.

14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I like being outside but somehow running outside is harder than on a treadmill

PepsiOne likes this.
  15. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I've been doing woods/trail running lately. The best, but my mile times are definitely slower than road running.

JBoch and dylan like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I can walk outside but I can't pace and force myself to run

PepsiOne and ChaseTx like this.
  17. ChaseTx

The one time I tried to run around my neighborhood I tired out so fast.

18. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

You have to do it more if you're ever gonna run a 5k.

dylan likes this.
  19. ChaseTx

Yeah I think it's a pacing issue. When I was practicing for the 5Ks I've run i noticed that I run faster than I can sustain if I don't make an effort to keep that down

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  20. dylan

yup! treadmill is good for staying active, but it's not gonna help prepare for races wrt wind resistance, heat, incline/grade, and dictating pace, etc etc etc

K0ta likes this.
  21. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Slower times are expected when trail running. I've murdered my ankles enough times to learn my lesson about staying engaged and paying attention to every step I make.

K0ta likes this.
  22. EarthShifts

Trusted

Long rant.

Every time I get a good rhythm, something happens.

In spring of 2016 I was super active as I was running, taking karate, lifting, and doing yoga. I ended up getting rhabdomyolysis and was in the hospital for a few days and had to reset a bit. A couple months after that I got a sever bacterial infection that sucked the life out of me for months and put a pause on everything. During that recovery period I fell and fractured my wrist which set me back even more.

Eventually I got back into the swing of it and then fractured my thumb, which required surgery and again put a stop to everything. Physical therapy helped, but my hand never fully recovered and my thumb is still a little wonky.

Last year I wanted to get things rolling again and got into the best shape of my life. As luck would have it though I ended up fracturing my ankle in the summer. I was told it’d heal in a few weeks and I could resume activity but after a while something still didn’t feel right. It turns out that there was a 2nd fracture they missed on the original x-ray which meant I had been running with it for two months and just trying to work through the pain.

My foot is getting back to normal and this year I’ve made a conscious effort to build up a good base at the gym and not rush into anything. This past weekend though I somehow got another bacterial infection and spent most of Monday in the hospital. I can barely eat anything and have lost 13lbs since then.

I’m just tired of the stop and start. It’s draining.

K0ta likes this.
  23. K0ta

I did the 5 x 400 intervals today @dylan even though I really didn't want to so thanks for posting that workout cause it's motivating me to get out there on the reg!!

I'm hurting now lol.

dylan and thesoftskeleton like this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I’ve had to force myself to run on a treadmill. I don’t not live in a very flat area and if I ever run uphill my ring toes will bruise. I’ve tried different sized shoes and running at different angles but nothing works.

It was hard for the first few weeks but it’s not bad anymore. The only downside is that I can talk myself into going back to my apartment earlier. I can’t do that if I’m 3 miles from my apartment.

25. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

You're not alone in the struggle to stay healthy and keep going. I've been fighting this for the past few years. I'll be really good about going to the gym or doing something active every day for a few months then something will happen. Have had to take time off due to a number of injuries (sprained ankle with torn ligaments, knee/IT band issues, torn shoulder labrum), but I also struggle to get back into my routine after going on vacation or taking a few days off because I'm busy.

You described this struggle perfectly - it's draining. I do so well and see tons of progress then undo that all over 2-3 weeks when I'm laid up and end up eating like shit.

I feel like I'm beginning to get better at overcoming this cycle though. Recognizing when I'm falling back into bad habits and making changes to get back into a routine. Routine is the key to it all, for me at least. I don't normally work out with other people so I need things to keep myself accountable, such as going to the gym before work so it's a part of my daily routine.

EarthShifts likes this.