Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 80

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

Oh hey buddy did you want to join a fitness challenge? That's cool. Just try to be fit and go from there :thumbup:

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I just do not have the same amount of energy on keto for the gym. I’m seeing good results and like the meals I’ve found, but it’s really offsetting progress in the gym.

Gotta find a way to introduce more energy and keep the fat loss going.

3. Dog with a Blog Apr 6, 2019
    (Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019)
    Dog with a Blog

What are y’all methods of staying committed/positive despite not seeing immediate results? I’ve been eating a lot better than usual (still not perfect) over the last month and I have been consistently going to the gym for about two weeks now. The last time I got in decent shape, I remember it taking roughly three months before I started seeing some good results. But for some reason this time I just constantly feel like a piece of shit and kinda beat myself up for not seeing results. It’s really frustrating. Do you have any ways of staying positive and pushing through the frustration? Cause when results aren’t immediate (and they never are) it’s so easy to just say “fuck it” and indulge.

Also, working and going to school full time doesn’t help. It isn’t nearly as difficult for me when I’m not in school but I hate falling into the cycle of working out and eating healthy during break and then turning into a human piece of garbage while school is in session.

And it doesn’t help that my boss is always bringing donuts/chocolate to the office lol. If they aren’t there, it’s a lot easier to resist

GrantCloud and elwayinthe4th like this.
  4. EarthShifts

Trusted

I know exactly what you’re feeling. It’s a tough hurdle to get over.

I mentioned this a few comments up, but this year I started documenting all of my workouts in a notebook. Physically writing it down forces me to be more conscious of what I am doing, and then also give me a legit record of my progress. It’s easy to forget how far you’ve come or think that it’s not enough. It is enough though and while you may not be where you want to be ultimately, you’re on your way. Sometimes you just need a little data to remind you.

5. Dog with a Blog

Damn, that is a really good idea. I tend to be very scatterbrained and incredibly unorganized so that would be tough for me but I can definitely see how beneficial that would be. I should give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion

EarthShifts likes this.
  6. EarthShifts

Trusted

I just write out my work out and then jot down how i feel after each set. I’m resting during that time anyways so it just helps me focus.

Definitely give it a try! Let us know how it goes!

7. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

Make it a habit to do it every night before you go to bed. Put your notebook somewhere where you know you'll see it when you get home. Sometimes I make notes in my phone throughout the day too so I don't forget to write certain things down.

8. Dog with a Blog

I’ll need to get a nice notebook to dedicate this to. You should see my school notebooks. It’s an absolute disaster lol. It’s nearly impossible for me to stay organized haha

9. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

You should do the april fitness challenge with us, it's really helping me to stay motivated.

10. Dog with a Blog

I honestly don’t feel like I could commit to something with work/school but if you wanna link me to a post about it I’ll see what it’s abour

elwayinthe4th likes this.
  11. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Is anyone else having issues with the app logging their progress for the challenge? I should have almost 19 miles but it hasn't recorded anything...

12. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

you have it linked to your other app right? like I had to link inkin to samsung health.

13. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

It looks like I’m missing the first four days of the month. So I’ll have to manually add that information

14. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I think so. It'll show all of the data when I'm on the app's homepage but it's not linking that data to the challenge.

Edit: Now it's there, so apparently I have no idea how the app works.

15. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

Looks like I initially missed that the challenge starts on the 5th, which also makes me wonder what the hell Michael did over the past two days to get 31.65 miles :crylaugh:

16. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Do you think you could just be hard on yourself? From what I see on IG and in the Post Your Picture thread you look to be in good shape. And from what I see in the Relationship thread, it doesn't seem like you have a hard time getting looks from females as well.

17. Dog with a Blog

I appreciate that, but I guess I just know where I’ve been in the past and where I am at now and the difference is big for me. And it’s not just my physicality that I’m worried about. Last I checked my blood pressure was pretty high and my dad died of a heart attack so that always has me freaking out, and my heart burn has been absolutely awful lately and that too is something that can be regulated via diet. I just need to do better.

18. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I hear you, sounds like you know what you need to do. Just start small, like 20 minutes a day. It won't take up most of your free time, and maybe you'll start feeling better about it that you'll do it more.

19. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Here to be the dumbass that continually suggest yoga as a supplement to other workouts because the mental benefits of focusing on breathing and awareness/mindfulness over physical results have REALLY helped me with my self image issues.

I highly recommend this series from Yoga with Adriene that is a good way to start as a beginner or remind you of basics if you're familiar with the practice:

theagentcoma and Dog with a Blog like this.
  20. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I use her videos when I need a recovery/stretching day. She's great at going through the exercise at an easy enough pace that someone like me, who has only casually practiced yoga, can keep up with.

21. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

i think she has such a great variety of videos too - you can find something for if you want to take it easy, stretch everything out, or have your butt kicked. The "Core" video in this series is no joke, haha.

22. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

Hey @Dog with a Blog are you still doing that 30 days sober thing? Think anyone on this site would be interested in a sober month challenge?

23. Dog with a Blog

Thanks! At school rn but I’ll check it out when I can. Appreciate it

Yep. May 4th will be the 30day mark.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  24. LightWithoutHeat Apr 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2019)
    LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

In addition to what @EarthShifts said about writing down your workouts, it's helped me to have an accountability person to check in with every so often. For you that could be this thread, or someone you workout with.

As far as remaining positive, that's something I've struggled with for a long time and only recently have started to address it. I am in no way qualified to give this advice so take it with a grain of salt, but taking some time to take stock of what I'm doing/have done that's good in my life has been a huge help. I've had a tendency for many years to beat myself up over so many things, and it wasn't until I talked to someone and they laid out just how unfair I was being to myself that I realized I was getting in my own way to an insane degree. Since then I've (slowly) been working on how I talk to myself and I've been focusing on little achievements instead of setting unrealistic goals that would always set me up for failure. It's really been remarkable how much healthier my attitude towards myself has become after being conscious of all of that. The greatest result from all of this has been that I've finally settled into a good workout routine after years of starting and failing.

Hope that helps some. I'm happy to talk to you more about it if you like.

Dog with a Blog and EarthShifts like this.
  25. elwayinthe4th Apr 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 8, 2019)
    elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

@Dog with a Blog pick me. I'll be your accountability person. i mean we're basically best friends. #threadwife

GrantCloud and Dog with a Blog like this.