Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 79

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Keto is awesome but boring. But for someone like me who is a simpleton when it comes to food and making meals it’s amazing and right up my alley.

It’s also humorous to read about how much super strict Keto people hate hate hate carrots

2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I already hated carrots so maybe I found my people

marsupial jones likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I am in such a sugar phase rn it's awful. Like everything in moderation but this has not been moderation lol. I'm doing better about candy cause I hate the way it makes my teeth feel all covered in sugar, but I'm all about desserts and pastries.

4. Kiana

Finally started to go to the gym again and now I'm getting sick which will prob kill that smh! Also my abs are sore so every time I cough I die inside

5. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Just because I beat @Dirty Sanchez two weeks in a row in our fitness challenge now he feels like he has to max out his points everyday smh

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  6. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I have a wedding and quince this summer to get ready for so guess I am going to have to start losing weight.

7. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Now my large shirts are getting too large. Seem to be in the mediumish range now.

An American Eagle shirt from high school I just found, I can sort of fit into it haha.

GrantCloud and Dog with a Blog like this.
  8. Kiana

I've been sitting in the gym parking lot for like fifteen minutes lol. I keep telling myself if I don't go today then I will go tomorrow morning but it is a TRAP. I won't go tomorrow morning and I know it. But omg as soon as I saw how full the parking lot was I did a hard nope.

9. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I got way off track the last 9 months and gained way too much weight back. Started back up yesterday and I’m really bummed with how far I’ve fallen off, things that were easy before and things I could do for a lot longer are a struggle now. Got to stay on it again. Ugh

10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

It’s not much but I’m gonna take pride in this

11. EarthShifts

Trusted

Just finished a simple 3 month program and am feeling great. I’m not lifting huge amounts of weight, but I’m lifting more than I ever have.

I’m still recovering a bit from a fractured foot, so I really wanted to approach things smart and safely so that I could get a solid rhythm and base down.

I’m taking the next week to start running a bit again, and to focus on some stretching. After that I’m starting a 3 day 5/3/1 program which I’m excited about. I can hopefully still continue to get stronger while also adding in some more dynamic exercises.

Overall I think the biggest thing for me has been writing all of my progress down. It keeps me focused in between sets and also acknowledge my victories. I can get really hard on myself and sometimes it’s hard to truly see your own progress.

Hope everyone is doing great with their goals here!

Fletchaaa likes this.
  12. Kiana

Not this thread being bumped as I'm eating Kraft straight outta the pot with a big mixing spoon

13. Spenny

Regular

I'm trying to take control of my life. I've been super horrible at putting myself and my health first over the past six years. Always prioritizing work/school/social life over my health. Something needs to change. Lost almost 20 pounds last semester in Denmark when I was cooking at home mostly (since eating out is hella expensive there) and going to the gym, but since I moved to Slovenia two months ago for this semester I have fallen off the track. Gyms are more expensive here (oddly enough), my kitchen has no oven or only one element on the stove so cooking is really hard, and it's super easy to just rely on eating pizza and burek and kebabs for meals. Also as a student studying abroad, drinking frequently is common.

Starting to change things around. Starting intermittent fasting and more strictly counting calories with Lose It, and gonna do a no-alcohol April. Starting with those things and going to also get out and move more. Goal is to lose 80 pounds over time, so gonna take some work, but time to try to stop making excuses and get it started. Wish me luck!

14. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I super recommend an Instant Pot if you’re able to get one- you can cook so many things super quick that you normally need an oven for!

15. Spenny

Regular

Appreciate the reco! Probably won't do that now, since I'm only living in Slovenia for two more months before I head home for the summer. Luckily at home my boyfriend has a great kitchen, and I secured my apartment for my fall semester in Spain this week and it has a great kitchen too (y)

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Can you expound on this procedure at all? I haven't had the burning/pressure sensation since I last posted about it back in December, but I also changed my diet in January and eliminated some of the foods (mainly steak) that were sometimes causing the issue. I talked about the issue back in January with my general physician and she recommended that I see a GI doctor if I was worried about it, thinking it may be mild dysphagia. I just now finally made an appointment for it. While I haven't gotten the burning/pressure sensation since December, I have lately felt like food is not going all the way down my throat (even sometimes coughing up tiny pieces of food after eating - mostly happens when I'm eating Radishes). I'm afraid they may want to do this procedure and from everything I read online, it sounds awful.

17. marsupial jones

That’s weird because I’ve had it done 3 times and never had any sort of issue.

You lay in a bed on your side, they put in a mouth guard thing with a hole for the camera to go down, they give you a shot that knocks you out in about 10 seconds and you wake up back in the room with no issue or memory of how you got there. Only issue they said some people have is a sore throat but I never had that.

Afterwards they say to eat soft foods for a day or two just in case they scratched your throat or anything but that’s it.

I think I missed work the next day for the one where turkey was literally jammed in my throat, but otherwise you go home and then sleep like 12 hours and then physically / energy wise you’re back to normal.

Also, you need a ride home. You can’t drive yourself because of the meds in your system (and you’re still a bit goofed up - I definitely get why those are under lock and key)

I wouldn’t be concerned about it, they seem very standard and I was in and out in about an hour or so.

ncarrab likes this.
  18. elwayinthe4th

pop-drunk.com

What's this about a fitness challenge?
    Sorry I'm new......

19. ncarrab Apr 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2019)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

From what I had read, it said patients weren’t put to sleep but rather given a calming sedative and were awake during procedure and they suck saliva out of your mouth bc you obviously can’t swallow. I read it’s not painful but a bit uncomfortable. I don’t know, shit like that just freaks me out.

I don’t even know if the doctor will ultimately have me do that (and if he does I’m sure I’d schedule it for another time). But I’m sure it’s a sure fire way to see what’s going on. My appointment isn’t for another few weeks.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to get it done 3 different times?

20. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I had it done without being put under and yeah it’s a bit uncomfortable, but the drugs definitely help. Just relax as much as you can.

I also had it done another time to remove a piece of tri-tip that got stuck once. That was worse, but again the drugs did their job. I think it’s a really safe procedure.

ncarrab likes this.
  21. manoverboard365

Trusted

Are ya'll talking about an endoscopy? I had that done a few years ago, but I was put under. Totally painless, but when you wake up it takes a bit for the drugs to wear off.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Upper endoscopy...to check esophagus.

23. marsupial jones

wild, i had no idea they could do it while you were conscious. they never gave me an option (not that i would have chose to stay awake lol).

i had it done three times because:

first time - i believe it's the best way to check to see where your stomach acid levels are at. the camera can see if, basically, your esophagus is burned by stomach acid being too far up, which then tells them which antacids or other meds to prescribe. so they did it to get a better understanding of my symptoms and if they were temporary or more chronic

second time - i had like, 12 oz. of turkey stuck in my throat. i hadn't eaten all day and then we had turkey sandwiches that i inhaled and got lodged just below my adam's apple (it felt like). i couldn't hack it back up / puke and i couldn't even swallow the saliva my mouth was making. it was crazy. i slept on my stomach because otherwise i could have literally drown because the saliva had nowhere to go lol. i didn't know something was lodged, so i went to the doctor about 17 hours later they were gonna prescribe a pill and i said, "i can't take that, nothing stays down" and the doctor was like, "oh! you have an obstruction! we have to get you in right away" and then it was super cool as i took the secret doctor back hallway to the surgery / procedure room. best part was all the nurses were happy i didn't go to the ER because they were all on call and would have had to come in :crylaugh:

third time was a check up two years after the first one to see if the meds were helping keep the acid levels down

honestly, i had no issue with any of them, i could go through that "procedure" once a week for life and be cool with it.

ncarrab likes this.
  24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Interesting. We'll see what happens. My appointment is two weeks from today. Part of me feels dumb for making the appointment because really, the pressure/burning sensation only happened like 5 or 6 times over the past 18 months and hasn't happened since December...but a couple of times lately, I'll be eating something small (like chips or radishes) and it just feels like it's still in my throat and not completely going down (not causing any pain or discomfort, but just...slightly noticeable to be an annoyance). And even that has only happened a handful of times and seems to be very infrequent/random. But I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

25. marsupial jones

the issue may be different from acid (but not serious or anything).

for example, one thing they learned from doing the "procedure" is that my esophagus doesn't have as much 'give' to it as others. they explained like how a snake can expand its stomach when it eats to eat something large than itself. most people, if they take a bite of something too big, can force / cough it down. it may hurt, but they can get it down because their esophagus is "slinky-like" and can expand.

but my esophagus is more rigid, like cardboard, so if i take too big of a bite or something it's more likely to get stuck or hurt a hell of a lot more on the way down, than other people.

so, you're esophagus may be the same to some degree and that's why you have those times when you can feel pressure? they make meds that are supposed to "soften" your esophagus so it's not so rigid, but i never got the prescription filled because i'm just much more careful now to make sure i chew my food fully and don't inhale it like i used to.

ncarrab likes this.