Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 76

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

GrantCloud and marsupial jones like this.
  2. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Haven't been to the gym cause I've been nauseous but my nausea might just be anxiety idk idk

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

We should all do like a myfitnesspal group or friend accountability thing to start the new year

LWS, dylan, RJ Knorr and 3 others like this.
  5. It’s super helpful.

6. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Count me in for this

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Garrett

Yeah. I used it religiously when I dropped my biggest amount of weight. Not sure why I ever stopped.

8. Yep, I'm still using it daily because I feel like if I stop, that would be the first step to gaining weight back. And the habit is just built into me now, it helps me feel way more accountable.

Garrett L. likes this.
  9. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

yeah i'd join as well. would you wanna start a separate thread for the group or just do it in here?

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

strongly considering cancelling my PF membership. I can't get there more than a couple times a week and i'm not happy with a lot of their equipment.

I think I just need to make time to run more often (I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made running this year) and settle for the fitness center when I want to work out

Dirty Sanchez and GrantCloud like this.
  11. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

damn i kinda forgot how fairly expensive memberships were. i have had the luxury of my tribe paying for my gym membership the last year, i just need to go a certain amount per month and they keep paying, unfortunately i fell under that threshold and i get suspended like six months (i have primarily just used the rec center at my town home complex for convenience purposes.) which is understandable and my fault, my work kicks in 20 dollars per month for a membership but if i wanted to continue using the YMCA it would still be around 40 out of pocket. im sure i will still give in and rejoin, but still. kinda crazy.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  12. Garrett

Did some looking into it and we can’t create a group in myfitnesspal like I was hoping.

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  13. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

According to my scale I've gained 3 pounds in just over a week. There's no way thats right, or is it? I've been hitting my calorie count everyday, but three pounds in 10 days seems like a lot considering I was told I'd only gain maybe 5 pounds in 30 days

14. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I mean, some differences can also just be up to how much you drank, ate and when you have last been to the bathroom compared to the last time you went on the scale

15. Jonathan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Verified

New to this thread, but excited to read/contribute. I currently have a 24 Hour Fitness membership, and while I enjoy the workouts I do there (mostly elliptical and treadmill), I hate the environment/smell and putting my stuff on display.

I scheduled a Peloton test ride, and ordered a bike this weekend. Hoping it doesn't end up being an expensive paper weight. In addition, I'm going to speak with a dietician and start to make a real change there. I eat like crap most of the time.

Did you end up making the purchase? If so, thoughts?

16. Dog with a Blog

So close to being done with school. Can’t wait to get back to the gym. Speaking of, I think I’m accidentally getting a membership at Crunch for free. I’m not sure why. I have a membership and I never cancelled, but I also never see a charge on my bank statement. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah, probably all depends on when you weighed yourself. My weight constantly fluctuates 5-7 pounds in any given week.

18. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

When it comes to weighing myself I def try to keep it consistent. Like I only weigh myself at my doctors office so on the same scale, and my appts are roughly at the same time of day each time. It's fairly consistent that way.

19. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah I wouldn’t think too much about it, could just be water weight.

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I'm not really sure where to put this, but felt like ranting because it's potentially a health issue? I don't know.

I've never in my life experienced heartburn or acid reflux, so I don't really know what either feel like...but within the past year, I've started to experience...something on occasion while I'm eating. The feeling is like, monumental pressure near my throat/upper chest where I can hardly swallow and I have this overwhelming feeling of having to burp, but for the life of me cannot. It gets worse if I try to drink water because the pressure gets heavier and it's hard to swallow. It feels like I have no room to swallow or put anything into my throat.

I start spitting like crazy and I want to throw up, but cannot. The first time this happened to me, I was eating Chinese food with very hot spicy mustard (like I always do) and it actually felt like I was being poisoned or something. I chalked it up to either heartburn or acid reflux (again, I don't know what those feel like). This has only happened 5 or 6 times in the past year, and typically only lasts for a minute or two. Every time it's happened while eating.

BUT, last night, I was eating steak and it started happening and it was the worst experience out of all the times, to the point where I literally pulled out my phone and thought about calling 9-1-1 (I was by myself) because it wasn't going away after 5-7 minutes and I was pacing frantically around my house, sweating and getting nauseous because I was freaking out so bad. I have no idea what this is? Can it just be severe heart burn or acid reflux? Or worse, some sort of heart attack symptom?

I'm only 33, I go to the gym 3x a week, in fairly decent shape, I eat somewhat healthy (I do drink a lot), I've eaten spicy food my entire life with no problem. I've been freaking out lately because one of my good friends is 32, in way better shape than I am, goes to the gym daily, eats way healthier than I and he developed a blockage in the left anterior descending artery of his heart and had 99% blockage and had to go into emergency treatment last week. He has no idea what the cause was.

I'm going for my yearly physical on January 21, so I definitely plan to bring it up with my doctor, but felt like ranting about it since it just happened again last night.

21. marsupial jones

@ncarrab i know exactly what you mean and have whatever the technical definition is (can't remember, was told it years ago).

it's basically really bad heartburn and kind of like a defect in your esophagus. from personal experience what the doctor told me was, "most people have an esophagus work like a slinky, it gives and takes depending on what you're eating, so if you swallow a big piece of something, most people can work it down, but your esophagus is more rigid, like cardboard, so there's only so much give."

they said it was caused by the reflux, which over time basically burns away the ability for your esophagus to have that slinky-ness to put down food. also, because of what is "burned away" stomach acid has an easier time getting into your esophagus, which causes most of the burning and pressure you feel. this, for me, leads to a heavy / pounding chest that very easily keeps me away and feels like i'm seconds away from gagging. it sucks.

i personally can't eat ANYTHING an hour before bed because if i lay down too soon after eating, the acid and digestion will start to climb up my esophagus. i also have to make sure i chew everything very completely because of the smaller diameter and more rigid esophagus.

i'm supposed to take a pill each day that relaxes my esophagus and keeps the acid down but i always forget until i eat something (chicken usually is the main culprit for me for some reason, depending on how it's prepared) and then i remember how shitty i feel.

Jonathan and ncarrab like this.
  22. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

[​IMG]

Drink this, and try to eliminate foods that can trigger your acid reflux. Drink a lot of water throughout the day as well.

Jonathan and ncarrab like this.
  23. ncarrab Dec 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 20, 2018)
    ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Damn. It’s never been a problem for me after I eat, but rather it only happens as I’m eating. I also tend to eat very fast, so I’m wondering if me piling so much food in at once also triggers it.

Did your doctors test you for this? Is there even a way to do so? My fear is it’s going to gradually get worse as last night was a truly frightening incident.

Also, is this something that started happening as you got older (and gradually increased) or something you’ve always dealt with?

24. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Eating fast is very bad for you for a lot of reasons. I do it too and I really shouldn’t. If you have what has been suggested here, fast eating definitely sounds like a bad idea.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  25. marsupial jones

The first time it really became a serious issue I ate too fast and food literally got jammed in my throat. I had to have it removed via “surgery” the next day. Couldn’t even swallow the saliva my mouth made (very long night).

Basically they put a camera down your throat and check your esophagus / stomach lining. Like a colonoscopy for your mouth (can’t remember the technical name). They might be able to check another way based just on symptoms.

I think the technical term is called “angina”.

My issue first popped up when I was... 26? Hadn’t really noticed anything before then so I’m not sure if it randomly comes on or if me getting older made the symptoms more noticeable. A year earlier I thought I was having a heart attack dead center of my chest and that’s when I first heard the time “angina” and then the next year was the food jamming in my throat issue.