Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 61

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kiana Jun 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2018)
    Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The world is against me and the gym. Didn't go last night cause my friend last minute invited me to a baseball game. Wanted to go this morning but I have to drive to my mom's this morning and my gym opens late on the weekend so I won't have enough time and we'll probably get back too late for me to go tonight smh! My goal was 5 days a week and first week I've already not met it!

I text my sister to ask when she'd be getting here so we can go and I'm torn between whether I should trust her to be on time and not go, or if i should expect her to be typically late and go anyway lol

2. Kiana

Ok. So there is that machine where u sit and push the handles straight up and the one i usually do is where u sit back at a slight recline. Today I decided to try the one where u sit straight up thinking it'd be similar and omg no I sucked at it so muuuch lol need to incorporate it into my routine more. I also did the stairmaster for the first time in forever and have never sweat so much in my life!

Lateral pull downs are my fave rn.

ChaseTx likes this.
  3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'll throw it out there, Crossfit may be up your alley. I haven't done either, but I feel like Crossfit incorporates a lot more heavy weight (scaled for your abilities I assume) than Orange Theory. Obviously, you'll want to research the gyms in your area more, but I feel like a lot of these group fitness gyms focus on dropping weight as opposed to adding it. Disregard if you've already ruled out Crossfit though haha.

LuigiPeppercorn likes this.
  4. Kiana

I've always heard crossfit is dangerous and in some cases has done weird things to ppls muscles

5. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

CrossFit is great if you’re not stupid with it. Just like any other workout. Safely mastering moves before going heavy is key.

6. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I've done a lot of research on Crossfit, and also agree that its probably what I'm looking for. My dad convinced me to do Orange Theory with him which is why I ended up going that route. I'm still very new to this and literally have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm really trying to get all of the opinions lol. I'm going to check out some gyms. Thanks y'all!

7. Kiana

The founder of crossfit talks about how it can kill you and I'm just like :chin: and then I read the new York Times article about a few people who did crossfit getting rhabdomyolysis and I was like :sickface: and also the crossfit gym here is in a warehouse where it looks like I'd be murdered so I'm like :eyebrow:

8. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

From what I've seen they do a lot of throwing around weights rather than controlled motions, which goes against what I know about safety and effective lifting. I'm no expert though

9. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

The problem with CrossFit is that a bunch of under educated trainers try to teach it. It's also just about howany reps you can do instead of proper form and/or how much weight it is that you are lifting.

10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Just started trying to seriously get into diet and excercise the last few weeks and gotta say it's definitely a struggle getting into an every day habit.

How does one stay motivated when they work a 9-5 ish desk job? I find myself "starving" by like 11 o'clock.

There's also a gym at my work but anxiety/gymtimidation keeps me from using it even though it'd be way more convenient than the separate gym I go to.

Hoping this thread can be a part of the motivation I need!

11. Kiana

What time do you go to the gym? I work 8-5 and I know I can't go in the morning. Some people get energized by working out but I am not one of those people. I go around 7pm. I get home, make dinner, let it kinda settle a bit lol and then go. I usually get home about 8:30 and just get ready for bed and get a healthy snack if my dinner was light and I need one. I usually wake up hungry tho which is nice cause then I actually get up and eat breakfast vs before when I'd skip it and get mortified at work around 10am as my stomach started growling nonstop ha.

12. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Finally reached my goal of being able to bench my own weight. So that's pretty cool.

EarthShifts likes this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

hello i'm posting in this thread so that i'll get notifications and feel like i should work out.

i'm super frustrated because i feel like taking birth control is 90% of my weight gain problem and it's so hard for me to lose weight now. i also work a really weird schedule (7am-3pm) so I either have to wake up at 4 am to workout or do it after work. i usually try to do yoga a few times a week, which i really like, but other than that i haven't really found a routine that doesn't just make me feel like garbage. if anyone has any suggestions for stuff that isn't just running or weights, i would be so grateful. i need something engaging so i'm not just spending the whole time feeling bad about my appearance.

14. Kiana

Have you tried HIIT? Fitness blender has some HIIT videos and they were fun but my endurance was trash lol. You get cardio but not in the boring repetitive way of a cardio machine, and it usually incorporates strength as well. It can be amusing, tho kinda loud and jumpy if ur in an apartment. They had me doing some sort of jumping starfish thing lol and it was fun but I felt ridiculous

kaylasananjou likes this.
  15. Kiana

Everyone always assumes when I get sick it must be cause I'm veggie even tho I used to work with kids who coughed and sneezed and spit in my face all day so of course I'd get sick. Basically everyone always blamed everything wrong with me or every negative symptom I experienced on my diet BUT GUESS WHO GOT THEIR LABS BACK AND THEY ARE ALL FINE! She said I'm a very healthy young woman HA. Not anemic or anything else wrong

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

Same! We get the “we do worry about you and what you eat.” Sent a picture of the lab results to all of them the other week.

Kiana likes this.
  17. Kiana

Im all over this thread today. Now that I've been seeing the doctor and have to get labs again in 6 months I feel guilted into eating healthier because I'm accountable. I have lost 2 lb! Tho it's annoying how much cheaper junk is. Ordered takeout and my friend got a huge thing of delish fries for $2 and I ordered a veggie chef salad which was one of the worst salads of my life and it was 3x the price of the fries. Didn't even include all the toppings it said it would!! Other than that so far making healthier choices when I do go to restaurants isn't as bad as I thought. Moderation and all. I can still get fries but don't need a large. I think growing up fast food and restaurants was such a treat to me that when I go, I feel like I HAVE to get junk cause like what's the point if I dont?? But so far I've been mostly happy with the substitutions and never feel like I'm missing out.

ChaseTx likes this.
  18. drewinseries

Drew

So i've been doing my weight training for a few weeks now and can visibly see differences in my body, which is insane. Now that i'm used to the workouts more, I wanna start fixing my diet. I've always been bad at eating breakfast, so I tend to pig out at lunch. I'm also pressed for time so I'm looking for some shake/smoothie recipes built around vanilla protein powder. Any recs?

19. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Oh hey a health thread

I'm newly diabetic as of 2 weeks ago. Have a couple of "educational" appointments this week. Wish me luck?

Garrett L. and Kiana like this.
  20. Kiana

My meals lately have been kinda tired

Breakfast: either a belvita baked bar protein thing, a 30g protein drink, gross oatmeal that is supposed to have slightly higher protein (but is gross and I won't buy it again) with fruit, or avocado on bread (RIP my toaster), or fruit and Greek yogurt or fruit w/ cottage cheese (still getting used to that)

Lunch: usually leftovers of dinner from night before or like a sandwich with fruit and veggies or a salad or something

Dinner: usually whatever veggies on hand with olive oil and spices tossed in a pan with some brown rice or tofu or something. Sometimes like a flatbread pizza or sweet potatoes or something. Often pasta but I'm trying to at least switch to veggie noodles.

Snacks: similar to breakfast. A belvita bar or protein drink or fig Newton's or fruit or something

Idk I'm kinda over it. I've been looking into vegan cookbooks. I'm not planning on going vegan 100% of the time because it's already difficult enough attending gatherings of friends and family as veggie, but I'd like to transition to vegan while cooking for myself at home. A lot of recipes are kinda out of touch tho. I dont live remotely near any health stores or even rly a regular store with a good health section so I dont have access to everything. And I need pictures! And to have recipes explained like I'm five. I've noticed a lot of recipes already assume u know things and leave out specifics. None of this "a large drizzle of olive oil" naw u give me a measurement!! I like recipes online that have step by step pics so I know what it should look like every step of the way. I need the kindergarten level recipe here.

21. Kiana Jun 24, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 24, 2018)
    Kiana

Hold up I just read about figs and wasps and wanna die. They took fig outta the name so can I just assume there is no real fig and it's just artificial high fructose jelly junk? Cause I can't handle this. Someone smarter pls explain how lots of stuff I eat probably has dead wasps in it and i was none the wiser and still like it and I'm being irrational, thanx

22. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I slacked off lately but I’m finally under 190 pounds. 189 but yeah I’ve been struggling a long time! 30 pounds to go...

23. Kiana

I've kinda been dominating ngl. Tho I'm getting sick so those may be famous last words.

Tho I always hear people say they feel so much better after eating healthy. I dont rly feel different but I know it's good so I'm doing it.

24. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

Very mad bc I weighed in at my heaviest at the doctor’s, it’s like no matter what I do it doesn’t matter. I’m pretty positive taking the pill as birth control is like 80% of my problem, so I’m hoping that switching methods and also working out more will help me finally start to lose. According to my Fitbit I’m dead on for macronutrients and in the calorie range to be losing weight. I did 40 minutes of yoga and 35 minutes of cardio today and felt super good. I just want to see results, damn it.

25. drewinseries

Drew

I did cardio a ton but wasn't really seeing results. I started weight training and it has skyrocketed results for me. I do a push, pull and leg day each week, ~25 minutes each workout. Putting on a bit of muscle can really help move things along, especially if you have a medication hindering your results.