Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 60

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Sometimes I'll have like a good core day and then be upset when I don't have a tight stomach like later that night lol it's ridic.

I've started working and have family in town so I probably won't go to the gym for 2 weeks which is the least I've ever gone since getting a membership. Wish I had a car so I could go in the morning. Sigh.

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  2. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Usually I just run, but because of some BS injuries I’m not so I’m just working on everything else at the gym. Abs are looking pretty alright with some definition, and I can see some bulk in my bi’s and tris already.

Finally going to transition out of the “beginner workouts” for each muscle group by inncorporing more/different lifts. I hadn’t lifted weights in a long time until about 2 months ago. For some reason the desire is there now 2-3 times a week. It should be 4 sometimes but it’s a 25 min drive.

3. Dog with a Blog

If my arms and chest could look the way they do after a workout 24/7 that’d be tight thanks

EarthShifts likes this.
  4. Kiana Jun 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 10, 2018)
    Kiana

I hadn't gone to the gym in like 2 weeks cause of my lack of car/family in town/new job combo. Finally got a car so the first thing I did this morning was go to the gym and man did I suck lol. I felt like a smoker of 50 years on the treadmill. Bought some healthy groceries tho so hopefully tomorrow I'll have more energy.

Also is there a protein supplement that doesn't cost like an entire paycheck?? Im veggie so i tend to kinda lack protein in general anyway. I like the premier protein banana drink but it's like $8 for 4 drinks w/ 30g of protein per drink and idk if I'm about that life. I'm guessing a protein powder would be more economical? But I just don't want like a gritty texture. Myfitnesspal also recommends me to have like 78g of protein a day which seems like a lot and I've never hit it once. 50-60 seems more reasonable to me but idk

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I've been using Trader Joe's pea protein because I try to keep things plant based at home and it only costs $13. They also have whey protein if that's not a concern you have

Also I think those target numbers are overblown and biased toward a meat-centric Western diet, but even so you probably get plenty of protein if you eat a lot of veggies

Kiana likes this.
  6. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

lol that is actually my biggest pet peeve is when someone takes the treadmill next to me if there is a whole row open.

7. Kiana

Lol after complaining that I never hit myfitnesspal goals for protein I actually did yesterday and surpassed it. Thought I'd have more energy but that was a liiiiie.

Garrett L. and Nate_Johnson like this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I redownloaded MyFitnessPal today. Evil spawn of Satan app telling me about how bad things are

9. drewinseries

Drew

So I joined a new gym and got a free personal training consultation, dug the trainer really enjoyed the workout, so I signed up. I just did my first push/pull day with the training on Sunday, and it's now Tuesday I can extend my arms straight fully without either lots of pain, or having to stretch it out slowly and painfully to get a few seconds of no pain when extending them straight. I know DOMS is a very big thing, and I haven't worked out this ever really, maybe not since high school hockey with was ten years ago. Is this normal? Does the post workout soreness go away with getting into a more consecutive schedule? I've had three workouts with my trainer and they have all had the 2nd day post workout be the worst sore wise.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Yes, it is normal but let your trainer know you are sore from the previous workout before hand and they can lighten the workout or change it up to give whatever body aches rest. The best thing to do after a workout is to hydrate and eat protein and will help with achy muscles. Ask the trainer for any tips they may have as well.

drewinseries likes this.
  11. drewinseries

Drew

Awesome, thanks! The hypochondriac in me was spiraling a little bit. I'm doing legs on Wednesday, then meeting with him again over the weekend for another push/pull day, so based on how the previous workouts been my upper body would be good to go, but legs may be a bit sore. Hoping the soreness goes down as I get into it more. It's a rewarding pain in a way. It's like showing me i'm doing things I had never done before.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  12. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Too tired to workout after getting home from work haha. Need to push through!

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  13. drewinseries

Drew

I did a trx thing for the first time and felt kind of badass doing it. Also lunges while pushing the weight sled is siiiiick even though it makes my thighs burn like hell the next day.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  14. Garrett

This happens to me every now and then. It’s normally painful af haha

15. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

I've gotten back into dead lifting the past few months and when I was starting I felt pretty frustrated. Couldn't keep the bar in my hands for more than a set of 5 or 6 at 225lb due to the bar slipping. Any time I'd try to do low rep/high weight sets, I felt as if my calluses on my palms were going to rip off. It sucked being held back from progressing in a lift due to something as silly as my hands. A couple weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and buy some straps to help with my grip and to hopefully help reduce the trauma/pain I've been causing to the skin on my hands. I never did before because I was in the mindset that straps=cheating which I finally realized is an absurd mindset to have since I'm not a competitive lifter, I'm just trying to improve my health/strength. Even on the first day I used the straps I saw an incredible difference. I was able to easily rep 300 lb at 6 reps with zero pain or having to worry about the bar slipping. I even surprised myself and managed to pull a 1RM of 385lb which is more than I could ever do before.

tldr: I bought some dead lifting straps, saw amazing improvement, and feel better about myself

16. drewinseries

Drew

Every time I work my trainer I'm sore as hell for the following two days. My program with him is 3 workouts a week, a pull, a push and a leg day, and he plans all the workouts and 1 workout per week is with him. I've only done 1 so far without him and while I sweat like normal I didn't have the soreness after. I wasn't sure if I did the workout a little too leisurely, or I think he may have mentioned the sessions with him are planned to be more strenuous. Either way I feel great (though tired and sometimes a litttleeee nauseous) the day of the workout once im finished.

Garrett L. likes this.
  17. Garrett

I’ve also noticed you’ll work harder and lift heavier if someone is watching/encouraging. That helps.

18. Kiana

I'm always ungodly sore after leg day and I think it's cause I know how to use more of the leg equipment and leg exercises so I do more with that. I'm learning more arm equipment stuff but my core game is still low

I didn't go to the gym yesterday cause a friend wanted to hang out and I'm not going today since I passed out from my blood test as so eloquently stated in the eternal cringe thread and I am NAWT risking being all weak still and doing it twice in one day. I'm bummed. I have my car and was all hyped to start going again and I've missed 2/3 days! Will dominate Wed tho

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  19. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Went from 202lbs yesterday to 198lbs this morning. Incredible what the human body can do when you're not eating and drinking like trash, like I was all weekend haha.

You're all doing great!

20. Garrett

I posted a fitness/mental health journey post on Instagram earlier this week and I was super anxious about it, but this girl (my cousin’s friend; they’re both eight years younger than me) messaged me to say thank you for the transparency and then she posted her own confidence post and honestly that made me feel so good I can look past how anxious I was.

Just want y’all to know that I’ll cheerleader any time you need it. Showing up is enough because you’re enough. Love yourself and chase what you want. Not what you’re told to have.

21. Kiana

1. Does anyone have good tips to staying positive when there isn't instant results? I'm trying rly hard to focus on health and gaining strength but it sucks to work harder and not rly notice anything outwardly, tho now that i have a car again I can be more consistent hopefully. Like I wish I appeared more toned but what can u do.

2. Related note, I hate that diet has such a huge impact. I always hear it's like 80-90% diet over exercise like can we switch that around so I can eat whatever I want and then be like oop doesn't matter went to the gym???

3. I go to a family friendly gym which is the worst thing about it and the pool has been closed for maintenance and it has been lovely. I like to go at night so I can just shower there and then go home and to bed but that's when parents take their kids cause it's free swim and the locker room is always a nightmare. Its been blissfully empty.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  22. Garrett

I try to use the 4-8-12 motivation thought. It takes four weeks to see a change in yourself. Eight weeks for your closest peeps. And twelve weeks for strangers. Accepting it takes time sucks. But 4 is easier to accept than 28 (days) in my mind. Trick yourself to succeed.

23. Kiana

I've been working out fairly regularly since March and nothing. Granted I don't have a ton of weight to lose and it's mostly just toning and tightening stuff but mehh. Tho I've been super tired lately and am seeing the doctor to figure it out so hopefully I can get more out of workouts soon. Rn I'm like slogging thru espesh cardio

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  24. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

I'm trying to get in the habit of going to a gym/being a healthier being. I tried Orange Theory for a few months, but didn't love it. Lots of cardio, and for someone trying to put on weight, it felt counter productive. I did really like the format of it being very planned out step by step. Does anyone know of a type of gym that works like Orange Theory, but not so heavily focused on cardio? Should I give it another shot? Should I just go to a regular gym? Any help is appreciated

25. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

I decided to go hiking with my dad this morning and I felt so exhausted half way through and I was miserable.

I'm usually able to do this hike easily but today I struggled so much so I was like ok gym as soon as I get home.