Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 131

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mr_november May 22, 2022
    (Last edited: May 22, 2022)
    mr_november

Trusted Supporter

I'd honestly just start with the bar and add weight in small increments. Focus on form, making sure you're doing it properly before you worry about weight. As far as reps go I'd just find a real basic workout online and follow it. There's a lot of exercises you can do just with dumbells.

Mr. Serotonin, Crisp X, dylan and 3 others like this.
  2. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

To add to what mr_november said, if your goal is to increase your strength then you'll want to find a weight where it is somewhat challenging (for any exercise you want) to establish your base, and then every workout add a little bit more. This could be more weight, or more volume if the weight jumps are too much. The idea is to create stress on your muscles/body that you can recover from in a couple of days, and progressively increase your strength. Eat a lot of protein, get a lot of sleep, and be consistent with whatever program you choose.

3. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

I'd also recommend not training to failure, you don't need to destroy yourself when you workout. Consistently is the biggest thing to make progress. Pick something you enjoy doing and stick with it.

4. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

focus on form like November said. it's better to start easy and slow and develop good habits rather than focusing on #s and hurting yourself later on when you're lifting more weight. Also time under tension is important. If it's too heavy for you to do the lift slowly then it is too heavy.

i do 5x8 sets at moderate weights (recovering from surgery still) so I do 5 sets of 8 reps for each exercise and rest 30s-1m between each set and then move on to the next lift. I do 2-3 muscle groups a day.

Chest & Triceps
    Core & Glutes
    Back & Biceps
    Legs & Shoulds
    Traps & Forearms & Lowerback

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm officially the same pants size I was before I gained weight!!

Nate_Johnson, dylan, jkauf and 8 others like this.
  6. Just did my first 12/3/30

pray 4 me

Kiana, GrantCloud and Jason Tate like this.
  7. Kiana

How do people feel about jogging on the treadmill vs outside? In my brain I've always considered them kinda separate exercises for some reason. I'm doing a 10k training app thing and I usually only use it when I jog outside and I don't use it when I'm on the treadmill. But I try to stay outta the sun and the weather is gonna be getting warmer so im reconsidering. Idk if it's a real thing but I feel like the treadmill is more "cheating" in a race training way because it helps give momentum with the belt and I can't self pace as much idk it may just be psychological differences and I'm a weirdo

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  8. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

There's merit to what you are saying, Kiana. I've always found running on a treadmill far easier precisely because of the reasons that you outlined. Obviously it's still great cardio and you can push yourself, but I'd consider them similar or adjacent exercises at best, but not a substitute.

9. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

I slightly prefer treadmills more I think mostly because it’s wayyy easier on my joints, only downside is I don’t feel like I’m pushing myself as hard as I would outside, it feels like a way more leisure cardio activity over running on concrete lol.

In personal health news I feel like I’ve hit a wall, progression wise. I’ve been around 215 for a few months now, so I got some better supplement recs from a trainer bud and gonna switch up my workouts a bit too. Doesn’t help it’s been hotter than hell here and I just want to be glued to my couch in the AC lol

Mr. Serotonin and popdisaster00 like this.
  10. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I don't run outside cause any slight downhill kills my shins. Treadmill is easier in general for sure but I never do treadmill at less than a 15 Incline so I don't feel like I'm cheating really

11. 90% of my runs are treadmill

GrantCloud likes this.
  12. Kiana

Hmm i may try the treadmill on the 10k program a few times and maybe increase the incline to make it a lil harder and see how it goes.

Also I'm doing a 10k program but don't rly have a 10k race I'm aiming to do. I looked at a few in my area and ngl maybe it's dumb but so many are at like 8am and thats just setting me up for failure. I need like... anything later than that lol. I'm not an early morning exerciser. I get tired and nauseous :-|

13. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

let’s do the 10 mile TC run this fall bro

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I can't run without a treadmill for more than like 2 minutes haha, I need the machine to force my endurance, I mean walking is healthy too so it's not a big deal

dylan, GrantCloud and Kiana like this.
  15. my god man I’m not iron man

GrantCloud likes this.
  16. I could do a 10k probably

GrantCloud likes this.
  17. yeah I find when I run outside I need to drastically slow down to what feels like a light jog in order to maintain my endurance

18. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

i hate treadmills. i prefer to run outside. i use them before lifting to get my heart rate up, but they suck. it's so monotonous

Elder Lightning and Nate_Johnson like this.
  19. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

I prefer a bike to running. Either outside or stationary.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  20. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

If there's a hell, when I end up there I will be running on a treadmill.

I can do an elliptical or a stationary bike no problem, but running on a treadmill is like one of those dreams where you're trying to get to the end of a tunnel or a hallway but can never make it. It's psychological torture.

dylan and Nate_Johnson like this.
  21. Disagree! I zone out evry tim

GrantCloud likes this.
  22. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Plus it's way harder on your body than running outside or on a track.

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Absolutely

Elder Lightning likes this.
  24. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

I bought a very expensive treadmill in 2019 to use mostly during winter months when sometimes it’s just too cold or unbearable conditions to run outside (but sometimes still do) but I will always prefer to run outside.

Outside is so much easier to change my pace on a whim vs pressing some buttons to get the speed down and then I feel like I’m reacting to the treadmill more than what my body says and wants to do.

Treadmill is easier on your joints but it also eliminates getting used to running in actual environments (hot or cold and what the terrain you’re running on is) which for me is super important as I’m constantly in marathon training and need the “experience” of running in all types of weather conditions as that’s what race day may be like.

GrantCloud likes this.
  25. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I got to use an accurate scale recently and was surprised I was down to 154

super happy about that. I had got to around 170 during Covid but that was without working out. Now, I’m 154 while working out daily, which pretty clearly means I’ve converted most of that excess fat to muscle.

With all the other things going on in my life, at least my health is seemingly on track