Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Health & Fitness • Page 130

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Firefly, Apr 7, 2016.

1. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Gonna have to change your name to mr_may

mr_november likes this.
  2. The gym joiner has logged on

GrantCloud and dylan like this.
  3. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Does anyone in here take pre-workout or any high caffeinated energy drink before they workout? I’ve never taken anything before a workout, just curious if others in here have and what effect it had.

4. Mr. Serotonin May 3, 2022
    (Last edited: May 3, 2022)
    Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I actually get less focused and tend to rush, so no.

oakhurst likes this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I take pre workout and a recovery workout thing. The recovery may be a placebo effect idk, but the pre workout def makes a difference. I use the Alani galaxy lemonade flavor pre workout. Some days it seems to make more of a difference than others tho. When I took it the other day I felt super pumped and ready to go. Other times it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference but idk why it does sometimes and not others. My sister says when she takes it her skin is like buzzing and she has to workout or the sensation won't go away. Sometimes I feel a lil of that buzzy sensation but if something comes up and I ended up taking it but i don't workout, the feeling will go away eventually. I don't find it to be magical or anything. If I'm on the fence motivation-wise it can help get me there which is nice.

oakhurst likes this.
  6. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

I take pre workout if I'm training in the morning or just feeling tired.

oakhurst likes this.
  7. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I take BCAA's both pre and post workout when I'm training for a marathon. Not sure how much of a difference they actually make, but I don't see any negative effects from them either.

oakhurst likes this.
  8. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I used to but I primarily work out between 9pm to midnight and then I found that I would just be up til like 3am with a stomach ache and feel nauseated in the morning

9. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

2 more weeks and I can start lifting again. I'm fucking stoked

10. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

How long has it been? Hopefully you can get those "novice" gains!

Mr. Serotonin and dylan like this.
  11. dylan

December 20th.

12. biem May 5, 2022
    (Last edited: May 27, 2022)
    biem

13. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I pretty much always use pre. I almost always go right from work so I can use extra energy

14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Motivational song of the day:

Hey Dude!
    You’re working out?
    You’re doing real good!
    Now do a squat!

Damn Girl!
    Keep up those gains!
    Only one more set!
    Now do a squat!

No way!!
    You beat your PR?
    Let’s up the weight!
    Do a squat!

You’re looking fine
    Use your cheat day!
    But don’t forget…

To do a squat! Do a squat! Do a squat! Do a squat!

Feet hips width apart
    Bending at the knee
    Drop that ass to the ground
    And do a fucking squat!

Squat! Squat!

15. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Kilo plates are heavier than lb plates. I'm convinced.

16. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

First meet was yesterday, hit 380lbs on squat, 463lbs on deadlift and missed all my bench attempts. I don't know what was off with my bench but it just wasn't there. I couldn't hit my opener of 240 even though I hit that for 3 reps last month.

17. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  18. Mr. Serotonin and GrantCloud like this.
  19. dylan

First week back in the gym and I’m so fucking happy. Don’t miss the gaggle of teenage boys fucking around and being loud on the benches tho

20. Got 5 miles on the tread yesterday

Carmen SD, mr_november and GrantCloud like this.
  21. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

New gym has a loadable sled and turf area. I might actually do some cardio now.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  22. mr_november

Trusted Supporter

Also benched 265 a couple days ago, two second pause, just to prove to myself I could after my poor bench performance at the meet on Sunday.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  23. Carmen SD

Trusted

I use to love to roller blade. Part of me wants to buy some and start roller blading to work with these gas prices. But it’s a little over 6 miles one way and my schedule is kinda wacky

24. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I need to start doing some of this

25. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Potentially a very dumb question from a newbie weight lifter but like… how do you even figure out what weight to start at? Example: I’m gonna get a basic benchpress set for home and maybe that comes with 200 pounds of weights. I’ve literally never done a bench press so do I start at like 40 pounds and see how that feels? What should a starting weight feel like? I’m assuming challenging but not strenuous but I’m sure it also depends what I’m going for as far as reps vs a heavy set to do “only” 2-3 times?

I have 15 pound dumbbells but idk when would be smart to move up to 20 pounds. When it feels too easy by rep 10? 20? I’m fine with having extra weights around and not aiming to actual benchpress 200 or anywhere near that as I’m just incorporating more strength training into my running schedules.

@mr_november @dylan as I know you guys lift.